National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be heading home for spring break, and want to take my handgun with me to shoot on my land...It is my first gun so i don't know all the rules....I was just wondering how i travel with it in my car when i don't have a conceal carry permit yet....My buddy who used to be a cop said to keep it unloaded in the rear of my Blazer since i don't have a trunk, and keep the ammo in a separate area....I will also keep a trigger lock on it..but just wondering if that is the proper thing to do...thanks...

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be heading from Oklahoma to south dakota, so i will be going through Kansas, and Nebraska....If i have a trunk is there even an issue?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
*To my knowledge* in those states that should not be an issue, but as I said, check those two websites to be sure.

·
Registered
658 Posts
And keep in mind that even with a CWP that all states do not honor your states rules or permits.
There is no such thing as a national carry permit excepting retired officers that I am aware of.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly, Ken, but there is no national carry priviledge for retired officers. Certain states (not all) will automatically grant a CHL to a retired officer, but the same rules of reciprocity apply to that license. That was made very clear to a good friend of mine, retired from a California city PD, who just received his NM CHL. They have only the same priviledges as any other licensee.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Try Open Carry http://opencarry.org/

Click on the Travel Map tab.

This tells you the rules for each state, make certain to click on the states you will transverse for a complete reading of their laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read through some of the laws, they are not that clear, but laws never are....However the travel map does refer to unlicensed carriers of LOADED guns....So i take it that if i carry the gun in the trunk, UNLOADED and locked i should be fine. Thanks for all the information...

·
Registered
450 Posts
My advice would be this. Keep it in a locked case where you can't reach it. Keep the ammo separate. If you stop for the night, take it in the motel room with you.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
HR218 is a national carry law for active and retired police officers which allows them to carry anywhere in the USA. As far as civilians traveling through certain states, you should get the most current law in writing from that states AG or state police. If you don't have time to get it in writing it might be a good idea to call the State Police HQ, or Attorney Generals Office of the state that you're traveling through and document the information. Be sure to get the time, date, and the persons name that you spoke to. You also need to be aware of any local ordinances that might apply to your situation. Some towns and cities have laws that don't allow any guns at all, and if the road that your traveling goes through that type of juridiction (regardless of state law) you could be in for unexpected trouble. Generaly speaking, an unloaded secured firearm, inaccesssible to the occupants (in the trunk if possible) is usually okay, but don't assume anything. Unfortunately many police officers don't see it the way law abiding gun owners do.
I live in NJ which is more like a Communist state and has very little tolerance for law abiding gun owners. If you meet the criteria for traveling through NJ with guns, you're probably good to go anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts