National Gun Forum banner

Traveling and Storage questions. Help!

856 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kobs 
#1 ·
Hello. My husband and I are truckers. We own 2 Sig P320 and also looking for a rifle. We are looking to create a compartment in the back of our closet on our truck for storage. Our company we run for with our truck does not have any laws about weapons. I have my CC from Texas. Problem is our company has a new contract in Canada. We are waiting on our passports but will not be able to carry across the border. Also NY does not reciprocal and can only travel straight through. Where can we legally store 24 hrs a day before we hit NY in PA? What other options do we have?? We live on our truck so leaving the weapons at home is not an option:/ really appreciate any help you can give!

#3 ·
I don't know what other states you travel but it's probably more than NY that does no reciprocate with the permit you have. Many of the surrounding states like CT, MA, RI, MD, DC and also some out west like CA will almost certainly not be on your unfriendly list as well. As far as how to carry it it sounds like you now the laws about keeping it locked and only traveling through. Pretty sure any lock box will do as i don't recall seeing any specifications on it except the ammo has to be separate and it has to be away from you like in your bunk. I've wondered what happens in the case of a breakdown? Pretty sure Canada will be a no go with either gun. You can bring rifles up but i think you need a bunch of paperwork in advance and i do believe you must show a valid reason like hunting or attending a shoot. I don't think handguns are allowed at all but i may be wrong. We have a couple of Canadians on here that might be able to help with that.
Also you can look here to see what states reciprocate with your permit and maybe some of your other questions as well.
https://www.handgunlaw.us/

#4 ·
BTW you didn't say what type of rifle. Depending on what it is that also could cause you problems in some states and there is no locked bock traveling rule if it's a "outlawed" gun in certain states.

#6 ·
Incorrect, truck drivers can certainly carry a gun. There is no federal law against it but you have to abide by the many state and local laws and company rules. I know quite a few around here that do but they stick to local NY driving and sometimes VT. OTR is where it's tricky if not impossible due to the different laws. Local is the easiest and maybe regional depending on the states. My company has a no weapons policy but i got the OK from my boss when the guys escaped Dannemora. I also go into prisons on a daily basis and asked them about it and they said no problem all i had to do was check my weapon at the gate.

#7 ·
It's also funny that they do not let you cross the border with your firearm all they would have to do is provide you with a gov. trigger lock and just put it on, take it off when you come back. A gun with a lock which you don't have the key is pretty much just a hammer.
I guess it's too much paperwork *rolleyes*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.