National Gun Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
The only thing I ever heard of breaking on a Ruger Red Label is the stock tends to crack right at the receiver. I personally know of 4 Red Labels and of those 2 are cracked ( hairline) at the receiver. It’s a very solid and well made gun. I’ve got the 20ga- 26” and I’ve got my eye on a 12 ga that my Brother in law has and has talked about selling as he doesn’t shoot anymore.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Yes they were - BOTH times they were made...............

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
$2K budget I would look for a lightly used Browning or Beretta, whichever fits you the best, A close second would be a Japanese-made SKB trap gun.

I omitted a pump or semi because most folks to your right will not appreciate your empties hitting them. Now, if you ONLY be shooting singles, there are hull catchers that can be used to prevent that.

You do NOT want a lighter field model; weight is your friend, 8-9# is usually ideal for most folks. If you are going to be pursuing this with any modicum of regularity, then the cost of ammo and targets will easily (and quickly) surpass the price of the gun, so buy once, cry once and buy quality.

Reactions: LRDGCO

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
My lgs got back to me today on a price on a Beretta Silver Pigeon and to my surprise I may be able to fit it in my budget!
Field or Target version
They are not the same

Reactions: LRDGCO

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Were I going to purchase a Beretta Silver Pigeon shotgun as a dedicated Trap gun, it would be a Silver Pigeon III since it is designed as a Trap gun and will shoot high because TRAP targets are all rising. I believe the Silver Pigeon III is considerably more expensive than the Field or Sporting versions.

The Silver Pigeon Sporting version with 32" vented barrels (J6869H2) would be my choice if a III were out of my price range.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Target, which model would you go with?
The one that FITS, price is secondary. If you are going to be shooting ANY of the clay games with ANY modicum of regularity, the price of the gun is WAY down the list of costs, so buy once, cry once, but make sure the damn thing FITS. And by FIT, I do NOT mean "I shouldered it in the store" or "I stuck the butt in the crook of my elbow"
FIT has to do with a myriad of measurements, from Drop at Heel, Drop at Comb, Length of Pull, Thickness of Comb, Radius of Grip, Cast On or Off, Degree of Pitch, Toe In or Out, Height of Rib, Eye Dominance, and on and on.........
If you are one of the few for whom it magically happens, that's GREAT! What I usually see, especially among young guys who were in the military, is a scrunching of their body to try and fit themselves to the gun, along with a squared to the target stance, NONE of which works for success in the clay games.

Reactions: LRDGCO and Popeye
21 - 30 of 30 Posts