National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,345 Posts
Take a look at a Beretta Silver Pigeon.
I bought a Browning Citori about 6 months ago but it may prove difficult to fine one within your budget . When I was doing my research I was between the Browning and the Silver Pigeon.
Just be sure to go handle the gun and shoulder it several times before buying,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d love a Silver Pigeon but I didn’t think I could get one for less than $2000 but maybe I’m wrong. I’ve seen the Citori for $1899 a while ago but unsure if I could still get one at that price, but I did handle the Citori and I’m just not sure it’s for me.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts
Including the Beretta Silver Pigeon, I would also look at .....

Benelli Sport II
Beretta A400 XCEL
Browning BT99
Browning Citori 725
CZ 712
Perazzi MX12
Ruger Red Label

Reactions: Popeye

·
Mr.
203 Posts
I bought a Browning Citory cross over but I already had 3 pure trap guns.

If not the Browning and it is just for trap, I'd look at the Weatherby Orion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of a Benelli Ethos or Ethos sport and also Beratta A-400! I’ve read the Beratta A-400 will shoot and cycle anything and the Benelli ethos is a great gun and doesn’t require much cleaning which is a big plus for me because I don’t like cleaning guns!

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,345 Posts
Just a suggestion but I bought my Browning Citori, brand new from a dealer on Gun Broker for $500 under retail.
Definitely a good place to look for deals.

I get what you're saying about the Browning maybe not being for you. I was the same. I was pretty set on buying the Silver Pigeon, I mean, pretty much had my mind made up. Stopped at Cabelas and they had the SP and Browning in stock. I liked the way the Browning shouldered much better than the SP. They're both great guns thought.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It depends on which fit you best, the Italians or the Brownings. While the 725 does fit me, and while I had a Superposed that didn't fit me and I didn't care, Citoris don't fit me and give me significant face slap. I shoot with guys who simply cannot get a good mount on the Italian guns. So first thing is to find out what fits you.

$2,000 is a healthy budget for an entry level target gun and will get you a good used over/under or trap single. There are some great suggestions above. But first, fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have only seen the Silver Pigeon, it is a beautiful looking gun, but have never held it or shouldered it, the Citori I have shouldered and I’m just not sold on it. But have never fired it.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If you live in an area with lots of trap shooting find the shops that cater to these shooters. They will often have quite a few nice used guns at decent prices. Many people get into and then realize they don't like it or have the time to dedicate to it so they sell and many others often keep upgrading their guns to "keep up with the Joneses". If it's a reputable shop you should have no problem buying a used gun.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If you live near Philadelphia, I have a Browning BT-99 single barrel trap gun I could sell. I bought it 20 years ago, but have not shot trap for many years. I do NOT want to ship it. It has one nick in the stock. You would make a reasonable offer, and I will probably accept it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I shoot trap with a pair of Fausti field grade O/U's (12 and 20 gauge) purchased 25 years ago. I invested $1250 in the pair. My son uses an 870. Shooting clays is practice bird hunting for me so I use what I hunt with.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
just make sure you look at target versions, not field models; find out which of the Browning or Beretta models fit you the best.

Reactions: LRDGCO

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
i am ignorant about professional or semi professional trap.......so i would visit the trap range and trap events if i was serious about doing it.....watch, listen, and ask questions......probably more than a few would talk and a few might let you try theirs out for a bit.

my trap experiences are good ole' boy jack pot events...laid back and more fun than competitive........so it would be a good ole' boy gun probably an 1100 since i am more familiar with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies! I called my local ffl today and asked him for a price on a Beratta Silver Pigeon and he is suppose to let me know tomorrow, if it’s in my price range I think I’ll go that gun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts