National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I recently found myself completely dumfounded on how my father would be able to transfer a gun to me once I move out of state. I currently live in California (worst state for guns), and a few years back my father purchased a few firearms, Savage 308, Colt 5.56, and a Glock 19. Recently I decided I was going to move to Idaho, and my father decided he was going to give me these 3 guns, my issue is how do we go about legally transferring these firearms from his name into my possession once I'm in Idaho. Thank you and I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey guys so I recently found myself completely dumfounded on how my father would be able to transfer a gun to me once I move out of state. I currently live in California (worst state for guns), and a few years back my father purchased a few firearms, Savage 308, Colt 5.56, and a Glock 19. Recently I decided I was going to move to Idaho, and my father decided he was going to give me these 3 guns, my issue is how do we go about legally transferring these firearms from his name into my possession once I'm in Idaho. Thank you and I appreciate your help!
Transfer FFL to FFL.

I did that with my brother in law for a Colt Python and Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Move to Idaho. Find a gun shop and have them send a copy of their FFL to a gunshop in CA that you deal with. Your dad brings the guns to the gunshop and they ship them to the ship in Idaho. You go there when they come in, do the background check and take them home. There are fees involved as well as the shipping costs and that will depend on the shops you deal with. I have seen some shops charge 1 fee on multiple transfers and others charge for each transfer. I would also suggest to be 100% positive the guns in CA are CA compliant before bringing them to a gunshop. If they are CA compliant they should be no problem in ID but it's best to make sure. Also find about about any licensing you may or may not need in ID. Also once the guns are gone from CA if any of them are licensed your father will need to take some paperwork from the gunshop and go to wherever you would go in CA to have them removed from the license.

This is just what CDR glock said but in detail for the steps in case you never did it before.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,347 Posts
What state does your father reside???

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Why not just go visit your dad. i am sure he would like to see you.
Road trip if not too far.
Load up the firearms legally for states you are travelling in and take them home.
Did that years ago when my dad gave me his guns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! But now what would be someone’s next step if they did own a gun that wasn’t CA compliant, however it is compliant in Idaho? Would my he be able to drive with me to Idaho and transfer through a dealer out there or is there a particular reason he has to go through one in CA while I’m in Idaho?

Move to Idaho. Find a gun shop and have them send a copy of their FFL to a gunshop in CA that you deal with. Your dad brings the guns to the gunshop and they ship them to the ship in Idaho. You go there when they come in, do the background check and take them home. There are fees involved as well as the shipping costs and that will depend on the shops you deal with. I have seen some shops charge 1 fee on multiple transfers and others charge for each transfer. I would also suggest to be 100% positive the guns in CA are CA compliant before bringing them to a gunshop. If they are CA compliant they should be no problem in ID but it's best to make sure. Also find about about any licensing you may or may not need in ID. Also once the guns are gone from CA if any of them are licensed your father will need to take some paperwork from the gunshop and go to wherever you would go in CA to have them removed from the license.

This is just what CDR glock said but in detail for the steps in case you never did it before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s a good idea i was thinking about doing that, but how do i load up the firearms legally, how do I end up with these rifles in my name ?

Why not just go visit your dad. i am sure he would like to see you.
Road trip if not too far.
Load up the firearms legally for states you are travelling in and take them home.
Did that years ago when my dad gave me his guns.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,347 Posts
That’s a good idea i was thinking about doing that, but how do i load up the firearms legally, how do I end up with these rifles in my name ?
There is no registration in Idaho. As you are about to move, I'd visit dad, make sure the firearms were unloaded, wrapped them up in a blanket and put them in the trunk of your car, pack other stuff on top of the blanket and move to Idaho. Screw Commiefornia. Live free or die!

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
the transfer of the handgun from the resident of one State to the Resident of another State can not be done face-to-face and will require an FFL transfer......at least to be on the ATF side of right...

long gun transfers are generally legal between States and generally do not require a FFL transfer on a face-to-face.....but that is also dependent on the States involved. so do not take my word for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So once I pick up the guns and leave to Idaho there is no paperwork saying my father still owns the gun? Sorry maybe I’m thinking about this like a car pink slip, is that not really how it works? My father can just give me the guns and I can leave without me signing anything? Thank you for your help!

There is no registration in Idaho. As you are about to move, I'd visit dad, make sure the firearms were unloaded, wrapped them up in a blanket and put them in the trunk of your car, pack other stuff on top of the blanket and move to Idaho. Screw Commiefornia. Live free or die!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,347 Posts
You should keep a record of what guns you own and their respective serial numbers, so if any comes up missing/stolen, you can report them to the police and have a slightly better shot of recovering them.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
the transfer of the handgun from the resident of one State to the Resident of another State can not be done face-to-face and will require an FFL transfer......at least to be on the ATF side of right...

long gun transfers are generally legal between States and generally do not require a FFL transfer on a face-to-face.....but that is also dependent on the States involved. so do not take my word for it.
Absolutely incorrect and illegal as hell and you will have committed a felony and lose your gun rights. ANY interstate transfer of any gun must be done with a FFL. You cannot do FTF transfers interstate. You can buy a long-gun in a state not your own provided it is legal to own in your state - example, I live in Florida and if I go to Georgia and fins a nice shotgun, I can buy it from the Georgia dealer and walk away with it. However, a handgun would have to be transferred to a FFL in my state. But I cannot buy and take that same gun if it is a FTF with a non-FFL.

OP, are you still a CA resident? (haven't changed your DL, etc.?) If you are, then do whatever CA law says must be done to allow your father to gift them to you. There may be a check, I do not know CA laws.
If you are a resident of Idaho, save the shipping if your dad wants to take a trip and bring them to the Idaho dealer of your choice where you will do the transfer.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yeah, I looked into this once. Across state lines an FFL in the state they are going to has to be used. Still make sure the particular firearms are legal in your state. Also make sure it’s legal to transfer each one from his state. Some states (like IL) are trying to pass bans where you can keep X firearm but make it illegal for an FFL to transfer it. There will likely be an attainable list somewhere of banned guns in your state. There are tons of them here in IL.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
You should contact a lawyer (or at least a knowledgeable FFL who knows the CA laws. If these guns are registered in CA, there may be some quirks for your dad to give them to you while you are still a CA resident. If he goes with you to Idaho and do the transfer in Idaho he may still need to do something in CA - that you need expert advice on.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Absolutely incorrect and illegal as hell and you will have committed a felony and lose your gun rights. ANY interstate transfer of any gun must be done with a FFL. You cannot do FTF transfers interstate. You can buy a long-gun in a state not your own provided it is legal to own in your state - example, I live in Florida and if I go to Georgia and fins a nice shotgun, I can buy it from the Georgia dealer and walk away with it. However, a handgun would have to be transferred to a FFL in my state. But I cannot buy and take that same gun if it is a FTF with a non-FFL.

OP, are you still a CA resident? (haven't changed your DL, etc.?) If you are, then do whatever CA law says must be done to allow your father to gift them to you. There may be a check, I do not know CA laws.
If you are a resident of Idaho, save the shipping if your dad wants to take a trip and bring them to the Idaho dealer of your choice where you will do the transfer.
yep----i vapor-locked on that one.............my mind was muddling more with the Complying with the buyer's State regs and went sidways........that compliance is in books for the FFL to check.......my bad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you very much I figured there must've been a deeper process to it than just handing the gun over, and leaving it at that. Okay now my next question is since I have changed my license to Idaho can my dad meet up with me at an FFL dealer in Idaho and do the transfer there? I know you stated this already If you could just elaborate. Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so If the gun is considered banned here in California is he allowed to drive to Idaho, (where the gun is not considered banned) and transfer the gun or is there some funky attachment that gun has to California? Because if there is what prevents him from just moving to Idaho with me then transferring them to me once he gets there I know the laws are stupid, but are they really that stupid?

Yeah, I looked into this once. Across state lines an FFL in the state they are going to has to be used. Still make sure the particular firearms are legal in your state. Also make sure it’s legal to transfer each one from his state. Some states (like IL) are trying to pass bans where you can keep X firearm but make it illegal for an FFL to transfer it. There will likely be an attainable list somewhere of banned guns in your state. There are tons of them here in IL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts