National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering .... I had the thought that a training round with just a 'pop' - much less fire than a real 'blank' cartridge - might be useful in training. Like working out the bugs of a holster draw, for example. Not the full explosion of a blank; just enough pop to let you know you failed, but with a greater safety margin.

Do they make these? If so, what do they call them (so I know what to look for)? If it's not a real-world thought, then what if anything is currently used for this type of training??

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Huh? Failed at what?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm practicing drawing from a holster or a pocket, for example, the gun needs to come out but not go bang until a certain point. If I get hung up or lose trigger control, that's a fail. I'd like to practice with a noticable alert of failure, but without any sort of dangerous issues (like the wadding that can come out of a blank).

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Ahh ok. How about a CO2 air pistol? It can fire without a pellet in it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea!! I haven't found a simulator in the model of my gun (XD Mod 2). But close might work for the gross skills.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd say get training. Learn trigger discipline. You gain zero time, on the draw, if you shoot yourself in the foot. I'd say practice the draw with a rubber duck.
Then move up to a gun with snap caps. You shouldn't be placing the finger in the trigger guard until you are ready to get a sight picture. Safe repetition
and practice takes months and years. There is no safe shortcut. Start slow, do it all properly. Keep doing it right, and allow your speed to improve with time.

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
Just use snap caps. You can hear that click plenty well. With your semi-auto pistol, you'll just have to re-rack the slide to set the striker.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
^^^Wag^^ Yeah I`ll side with snap caps or I make my own leave out primer/Powder throw a little silicone in primer pocket for firing pin/striker to bounce off of..... Training with blanks or the like I will side to cation not that it can not be done to each their own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts