National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to this and new to the forum. Here’s my question, I bought a handgun from my father in law a few years back and I’m ready to get something else and considering trading it in in NC to my local gun store (not pawn shop). He bought it from someone else and I’m not sure where that person bought it originally years ago. So if I trade it in at the gun store, they run the SN, and for whatever reason it comes back as “stolen”, I know they send it to the sheriffs office to turn it in but what happens to me? Not trying to be in possession of a stolen gun and yes I know I should’ve done due diligence before but the thought didn’t cross my mind since it was a family member. Thanks for any help.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,293 Posts
What make/model is the handgun?

I wouldn't worry about it. Trade the handgun in, and if by some slim chance it is stolen, simply tell the LEOs, you bought it from your FIL. Your FIL will tell them who he bought it from, etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What make/model is the handgun?

I wouldn't worry about it. Trade the handgun in, and if by some slim chance it is stolen, simply tell the LEOs, you bought it from your FIL. Your FIL will tell them who he bought it from, etc., etc., etc.
Thanks. It’s a smith and Wesson M&P 9, 9mm

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,464 Posts
Yeah sooner or later it will come back to the guy who stole it and it will be his problem... truth prevails :lol:

Edit, personally I think it's stupid of the robber to sell a loot to a "non criminal" person, it will eventually come right back and bite him in the @

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Why would you even consider that it may be stolen. You may have some suspicions. People sometimes don't like answering but I often ask where they got it from and why are they selling it. With firearms I always get a bill of sale to prove where I got it or that I don't have it any longer.

There are a lot of cash and carry transactions. I see them at gun shows all the time. If you buy a stolen gun whoever you bought it from, can always deny they sold it to you and without a bill of sale it's your word against theirs. I run into folks now and again selling hot goods usually at hot prices. I still remember the $900 Movado I bought for $50. Still don't know if it was a fake or stolen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would you even consider that it may be stolen. You may have some suspicions. People sometimes don't like answering but I often ask where they got it from and why are they selling it. With firearms I always get a bill of sale to prove where I got it or that I don't have it any longer.

There are a lot of cash and carry transactions. I see them at gun shows all the time. If you buy a stolen gun whoever you bought it from, can always deny they sold it to you and without a bill of sale it's your word against theirs. I run into folks now and again selling hot goods usually at hot prices. I still remember the $900 Movado I bought for $50. Still don't know if it was a fake or stolen.
Personally I don’t believe it is tbh, I just don’t know who ORIGINALLY bought it as it’s been sold a few times to my knowledge. So it just got me thinking that if I sell it, don’t wanna get in trouble for having/selling a stolen gun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Personally I don’t believe it is tbh, I just don’t know who ORIGINALLY bought it as it’s been sold a few times to my knowledge. So it just got me thinking that if I sell it, don’t wanna get in trouble for having/selling a stolen gun
Just never know what people will do. I.e sell someone a gun then report it stolen

·
Registered
579 Posts
You will not get much for it trading to a dealer.
It's your Dad's handgun,
Just keep it and buy what you want even if you need to save some $$ first.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Why do you think it is a stolen gun?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Why do you think it is a stolen gun?
same for a lot of folks............years upon years of anti-gun propaganda about the evils of the gun, loop holes, constant negative press about anything gun related, the need for background checks, crime, etc, etc.......therefore guns are an evil tool and the prospects of guilty by association are attached to it......

·
Registered
351 Posts
Always have a paper trail. In NC you either have to have a concealed carry permit or give a pistol purchase permit to buy a handgun; even from your father-in-law.

·
Barney
107 Posts
The way laws are written vary from state to state, but most laws in regard to possession of stolen property hinge on the element that you were aware, or a reasonable person would suspect that the item is stolen. Unfortunately, getting on a public forum and asking questions about trading in a gun that might be stolen doesn't help you in that argument. Just saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts