National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in picking up some tracer rounds and I’ve been watching this video which has given me some questions.

First, do you think something as small as a 22LR would be visible in overcast light with it being such a small round?

Second, with these cartridges already being dirty do you think this will cause even more nastiness in the bore?

Third, these are the most unreliable cartridges as it is, would tracers make them any more unreliable?

Attachments

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,352 Posts
Be careful and don't set your woods on fire.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a welder, I'm literally always on fire.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you mess with fire, you will get burned, or something around you and then you will be held responsible Think before you act..

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Following the visit from the Safety Safari, still interested in the following:

First, do you think something as small as a 22LR would be visible in overcast light with it being such a small round?

Second, with these cartridges already being dirty do you think this will cause even more nastiness in the bore?

Third, these are the most unreliable cartridges as it is, would tracers make them any more unreliable?

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
There was one company making those tracers but they shut down. They were supposed to start up again. You may have to do some research to see if you can even get them.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

No idea as I have never heard of them and see no use. Best to buy some and see for yourself and report back with your findings.

Do you mean 22lr are dirty? The cartridge would stay in the chamber while the projectile may be dirtier than a standard 22 bullet.

Do you mean the brand of tracers is unreliable or 22lr in general? I have never had a 22 fail but the tracers may not light as planned. Once again, get some and try them out. I'd be interested in what you find. They may fall shorter than a standard 22lr though.

·
Aim true !
10,342 Posts
I see no need for them for the average person.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
It's been a long time since i used .22 tracer. You can see them in the daytime l but obviously not nearly as bright as they were in the nighttime. We fired them on a rainy day near the end of the day and some after the sun went down. They all worked, fired and streaked from what i remember. I don't recall them being any dirtier or cleaner than your average .22 but i clean my guns after each outing and we didn't fire a lot of them. It was either 50 or 100. They are just a fun novelty thing at best and not really intended for anything else. Safety alert, they can and will start fires if the conditions are dry. it happened to a buddy of mine and oddly enough we were just talking about it a week ago.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Tracers still upset me since some idiot years ago set the local range on fire with tracers he claimed he didn't know he had. It was less than a mile away now I have to drive quite a bit to get to other ranges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts