National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new here, so maybe this has been posted and I just missed it. I'm wanting to get an AR style rifle just for fun shooting. Looks are decently important, and since this is my first gun, i want something cheap and reliable. Any suggestions?
(Pics would be cool, but if not, I'll find it on Google Images)
Thanks!
Annihilis

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are a lot of great rifles to be had for around $500. I'd look at the S&W M&P Sport and the Ruger AR556. Both of these come ready to shoot with magazines and sights.Both of these also deviate slightly from the standard AR platform, but not enough to worry about. The sport doesn't have a dust cover, which you really don't need, and the AR556 doesn't have a standard gas block (drift pins at the top instead of the bottom) which is actually pretty nifty.

Some shops also build their own entry level rifles and have great deals on these. One in my area sells their own assembled rifle with magpul furniture and sights for $700, and they stand behind it. Look around - you will find most shops have friendly staff who won't mind answering your questions.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I know when i get to that point i'll get myself a Sig M-400 smply cause the brand has been great to me so far having two pistols that i absolutely love It's a good quality starter rifle that will not break the bank at a little over $1000

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
That's up to your taste and again "budget" One click on Google will tell you that no one else but you can dress up your AR the way YOU like it. (link) Just start with something right at the edge of what you can afford ( cause quality doesn't come cheap) AR wise and go from there. OR pay big bucks and get something awesome ready to gloat about but that matches someone else's taste.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&....6.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.10.661.AZBdwalUkU4

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
It also depends what you're going to do with it, barrel length will be a big factor, you cant do with a 10 inch barrel

what you will do with a 18 inch

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks guys! Any suggestions on a railed handguard? I'm thinking i also want to use a grip on it.
That depends on how you intend to use it. If it's for close quarters I like the Magpul MOE or the slimmer version if narrower fits you better. If you are looking for longer distances and want to free float I suggest the Troy Alpha. Note that changing toa free float system will require some mechanics - there are plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how. I suggest keep it simple at first and make friends that have uppgradeitis so you can get access to cheap parts.

BTW - that's a Troy Alpha rail in the first picture of Kobs' post above.

Also, I suggest watching this video from nutnfancy:

Keep it simple beats keep it stupid every day on an AR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts