National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am exactly what the title says. Total "newb," in other words, a newbie. I'm also an artist, writer, script writer, and movie maker that really likes incorporating guns into their work. You guys probably hate on my kind of people, LOL. I have come here to learn more about how guns work, their terminology, and how to use one. But you've been warned. I am a legit newbie. I even bought a book online that was supposed to be written for people who know nothing about guns called: "The Gun Guide For People Who Know Nothing About Firearms" by Steven Gregersen. I read it all, and while it was very informative and enjoyable, it wasn't basic enough! I don't need a "Guns for Dummies" book. I need a "Guns for Idiots" book.

Now, I did NOT grow up heavily exposed to guns (my parents had some for self-defense, but I never shot them until I was in college). So therefore, I'm clueless. My uncles are gun-crazy, but I don't know them well enough to give them a phone call and ask my questions.

How I feel toward guns? Guns actually make me a bit nervous since I've not been taught about them. But all this aside, I do firmly believe we should all be able to own guns! Just because I'm into the liberal arts and movie-making doesn't mean I'm anti-gun, believe it or not, lol.

So here I am. Here to learn. I read the group rules, and I am worried that some of my questions might come across as "trolling," because some of my questions will be asking for specifics about hypothetical scenarios. And since I know nothing about guns, I may or may not phrase my questions right. I'm not trolling. I'm honestly just here to learn. And I'm gun-stupid so it will sound probably stupid--although I promise that I will try my best to do my own research prior to posting any of these questions.

While I'm posting here, I might as well ask if there are any good books for newbs like me. I just need to understand more. The book I read was great--just wish it went into a little more depth since I'm a dumb reader--but I need more knowledge on the subject.

Thanks in advance. Peace.

·
Aim true !
10,293 Posts
Hello and welcome. Thanks for your honesty. Book wise i can not help. I grew up around firearms. Hang out and ask questions. That is part of learning. Hang out at a gun club too and get to know folks and learn from them too.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Welcome from Florida.......ask away!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,293 Posts
Welcome from NC!

We were all "newbs" at one point or another. Just be respectful and open-minded and we will be the same.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey!
We don’t make fun of any “Newbs” that are here for the right reasons. That being said, You’re funny looking, Who cut your hair? Don’t you have any clothes from this decade?
Ask anything you need to know.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello from Central Texas.
Ask what you want. But always take internet answers with a grain of salt.
Your local gun shop and shooting ranges are a good start as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
GET OFF MY LAWN!!! (I recently turned 60 and just wanted to yell that at someone LOL)

Actually welcome! I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as I didn't grow up around guns and just got my permit a few years ago. Lots of good information on this board and people always willing to help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am exactly what the title says. Total "newb," in other words, a newbie. .....
..... And I'm gun-stupid so it will sound probably stupid--although I promise that I will try my best to do my own research prior to posting any of these questions.

A_f,

#1 Take a gun safety class.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Greetings And Welcome To The Forum

Howdy, You can't expect to get from 0 to 60 in 5. You need to thank Al Gore because now you can read anything on the internet. We can't be expected to explain everything to you it's just not possible. Answering general question to get you past problem areas is something you may find helpful. You also need to be careful with opinions, pick your saying.

Start with gun safety. Read up on the topic and take a safety class if you can.

What are your interest?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Get either a Speer, Lyman, or Hornady reloading manual. A used one will do, for now, and is a lot cheaper. They are a gold mine of firearms information.

Join the NRA, and take an NRA safety course.

Get someone to take you to a shooting range. It's difficult to write about something of which you have no firsthand knowledge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm surprised no one suggested for you to reach out to your uncles. You'll be surprised how close you all will instantly become because of a common interested and their enjoyment to teach a newbie. It's like going to the gym for the first time. The best looking and most intimidating people in the gym are often the friendliest and most helpful.

Books are good. Training is better. You should seek out a beginner's firearms course. The best way to get over your fear of guns is to confront it and allow a competent instructor to teach you how to be safe and comfortable with guns. Knowledge and competency goes a long way towards confidence, which goes towards comfort.

Good luck. Also, you're not the only liberal with an interest in guns. There is a sub reddit just for liberal gun owners.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hey welcome from Kentucky (if your afraid of some good ole ribbing/poking run).

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,936 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

1 - 18 of 18 Posts