National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 100 of my own reloads. I had 15 rounds each of two different powders and three different charge weights, and the last 10 were using a Lee dIpper. The rifle was putting out some fine groups with all the loads, which kind of surprised me as the rifle only cost me $84.95 + shipping. But man, is my shoulder feeling the pain now! But now that I am through load testing, I don't think I'll be shooting 100 rounds in a single day any more. Anyway, it's MARTINI time for getting a good deal on a good rifle! --Shenine--

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
For $84.95 + the reloading costs, hell, have TWO martinis! --Shenine-- (that's a Marg, but close enough for gov't work!)

G

·
I didn't have such luck with mine, unfortunately. I picked mine up at Big5. I am pretty sure it will need a counterboring. It was all over the paper at about 25 yds, and off my 8x10 target on my backing paper, and I was shooting from a rest, so I know I wasn't throwing the aim off that much. I shot 6 of 7 shots with my Mosin M38 in about an inch group at the same distance, so.......the bore is pretty bad near the muzzle. So now I am searching for a gunsmith that will check it out for me. I think there is enough rifling that it will at least shoot a decent group, and not be as bad with how it is now after a counterbore.

So can anyone suggest whether re-crowning it might work, or counterboring? I chatted with one gunsmith earlier today he said it needed to be re-crowned. I told him it was pretty bad, but hard to tell unless he sees it first. So I might be able to do that tomorrow.

G

·
i had a rem.700 in .300 win mag that wouldnt group under 2" at 100yds talked to my gunsmith buddy and he recrowned it and sold me some lapping compound to use on the rifling and i now get @3/4" groups at 100yds with the same gun.lapping the barrel was a pain but it worked.i'd definately have it recrowned and check out some bore lapping compound. any good shooting supply warehouse should carry it.

G

·
So I suppose that recrowning is the least drastic, and should be tried first before counterboring, but whats the best way to tell which will yield the best results. I mean what does a smith look for to tell him which to do?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a trick I learned to see of you need some grown work done. Take some liquid paper or white out and paint it all around your crown, and let it dry. Then squeeze off a few rounds. Then look at the soot pattern it leaves. Is is nice and equal all around the bore? Heavier soot on one side means your crown is not good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts