National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm just looking for opinions on the topic of keeping a round in the chamber at all times. Yay or Nay??? Seems like most people agree on keeping one in the chamber due to time constraints in an emergency situation. Let me know what you think.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
It depends on whether you carry for protection or to feel tacticool. If you are serious about personal protection, you have no choice in the matter.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
+1 on what Brewster said.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you can guarantee that you'll always have BOTH hands free to chamber a round, plus the TIME needed to do so, you don't have to have a round chambered. The problem is the unpredictability of emergency situations.

Another issue is that sometimes when a round is chambered, it fails to completely chamber for various reasons - not pulling the slide all the way back (as might occur in a stressful situation), an out-of-spec round, etc. Watch people at the range; you'll see that happen. You wouldn't want to be clearing such a malfunction in an emergency.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
To quote a friend of mine an unloaded weapon is just a paper weight

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I believe everybody else should not keep one in the chamber.

·
Guy with a Gun
646 Posts
Currently the only gun I carry is my Colt .38 special, which is a revolver. But, I will be carrying my SIG P250c, wich is an automatic. With that I will keep a round chambered while carrying. I don't keep any guns loaded when they are not being used, there is no need to.

·
Registered
976 Posts
chambered for sure,one of the reasons i like guns with a decocker is i can chamber a round and safely let the hammer down and just get the first shot off in DA,
unfortunately all my small CCW guns have to rest with the hammer back if chambered kinds irks me,but like already said a gun with no bullet in the chamber is just a paper weight.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
One in the chamber of course.
Why would you carry one without one chambered?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
I have a car. Should I keep gasoline in it?

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I always love this argument but usually some one brings in (going Mossad). To which I must answer, It's great if you are willing to train in hand to hand combat and weapons training for 8 hours a day.

2) I want them to hear the slide rack and hopefully that will scare them off. GOTTA LOVE THIS ONE.

3) I do it because it is safer. REALLY is not having a round in the chamber when you are in a hurry to use it SAFER! Try not putting you finger on the trigger until you are ready for the gun to go bang. That's safer.

Reactions: ARNWRKR and DPM

·
Banned
35 Posts
I have proven many times that I can start chamber empty, ccw, and beat most people to the draw and hit, even tho they start with a round chambered. So am I silly for not carrying chambered, or are they silly for being so slow? :)

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
I am no longer a 'professional' nor do I train as one. I'll keep a round chambered and my finger off the trigger. Thank you.

Reactions: DPM

·
Banned
35 Posts
I do believe in carrying chambered, just wanted to point out how slow most people are. Just ask George Zimmerman how fast an unarmed man can be beating your head in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do believe in carrying chambered, just wanted to point out how slow most people are. Just ask George Zimmerman how fast an unarmed man can be beating your head in.
After seeing photos of Zimmerman's bleeding broken nose and bloody skull I think it's amazing he waited as long as he did to pull his gun. Trial testimony showed he was carrying with a round chambered. The prosecution tried to spin that as unsafe, until their own witnesses testified that a round chambered in a Kel Tec pf9 is reasonable and safe for self defense.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts