National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just asked a question that I am unable to answer, and would appreciate it if you weigh in.

It seems that he cracked the stock on his Enfield .303 on or near the fastener.

Is there a way to fix it?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I gave my best friend an Enfield several yrs ago. He worked on that puppy from crown to buttplate and had it looking arsenal new. The first time we took it out shooting, on about the 10th or 11th shot, it cracked in the exact same place as you describe.

He started off by epoxying it, which didn't work. He went ahead and broke it all the way through, pinned it and epoxied it, which worked for <100 rounds. He eventually spent some ridiculous amount of coin to purchase a teakwood stock from some outfit in Australia. It took over six moths to receive it, but he hasn't had a problem since.

So, through all my rambling -- No, I sure don't know of a reliable and permanent way of fixing that. FWIW, there is an Enfield forum that may have some better ideas. My buddy was pretty active in it when his stock cracked, but that was a few yrs ago. Maybe there are better ideas out there now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is a guy in Louisiana who I sent my FN 49 stock to. He did a graet job at a fair price. Also, the turn around time was very short. I've seen pictures of other stocks he has worked on and they include a wide variety of different makes. If you like I can pm you with his email addy and you can contact him. By sending him a few pictures I suspect he can give you a pretty good idea re: the pobability of a successful outcome.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Hey Gabby, if you'd be so kind as to either post your guy's info or copy me on the PM, I'd appreciate it. I'm asked frequently for someone who fixes stocks, I'm sure I could get some business his way.

Thx!

~GR

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
One word

Acu-Glass

Get it from Brownell's.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Those old mil-surp stocks are just loaded with oil and grease. To repair that stock, first, break it all the way through. Then, clean all the grease and oil out of the wood. Your Friend may need to pack it in chalk or corn starch to draw out the oil. Then drill three holes for a brass or wooden dowel (preferably brass). Like Popeye said, use Acu-glass from Brownells to glue that thing back together. If he does not want to go through all that trouble, go to:
www.e-gunparts.com and buy another stock. A whole set runs about $80.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
• Thanks all. He ended up getting a new stock for it. Said he found one pretty cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts