National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Revetation bolt action 20ga that my Father bought me when I was just a young lad. When he bought it the clerk at the Western Auto said it was special ordered and that person that ordered it never came back for it.
I have searched the web lookng for a pic of this gun and can't find it. The closest wood I can find pics of is called Tiger Stripe Maple. Does anyone have a gun with this wood and could you please post a picture of it?
I was there with my Father the day he bought it, late 1968.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,496 Posts
Can you post a photo of the stock you have?

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Google-FU Tiger striped maple

Oh and Mossberg revelation link (scroll down for pics)
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9587353

Could be me but i re read your post and i can't make heads or tails of what pics you want

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I believe that Mossberg made the shotguns for Western Auto under the Revelation brand. We had one of the 12 Gauge pumps that was identical to the Mossberg model 500 design.

Up until now this is the first I've heard of being able to custom order these guns with fancy wood such as Tiger Maple.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I believe that Mossberg made the shotguns for Western Auto under the Revelation brand. We had one of the 12 Gauge pumps that was identical to the Mossberg model 500 design.

Up until now this is the first I've heard of being able to custom order these guns with fancy wood such as Tiger Maple.
Remember Mike this was in late 68' or early 69' if that makes a difference.
If you take it out in the sunlight and tilt the gun to and fro the grain shimmys and moves. I have never seen a stock like it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Google-FU Tiger striped maple

Oh and Mossberg revelation link (scroll down for pics)
Revelation by Mossberg 20 Gauge bolt action 385K For Sale at GunAuction.com - 9587353

Could be me but i re read your post and i can't make heads or tails of what pics you want
If there is one of my Revelation 20ga bolt action out there that would be the one I'm looking for. The pics of the gun you posted are the ones I get when I google it. That one and a bunch more. I'm wondering if I have a rare one.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Remember Mike this was in late 68' or early 69' if that makes a difference.
If you take it out in the sunlight and tilt the gun to and fro the grain shimmys and moves. I have never seen a stock like it.
Yes the Revelation pump I posted was from 69 or 70. Maple can produce some interesting grain patterns when quarter sawn, There is also Birdseye Maple, and Fiddleback Maple. Tiger Maple was commonly used in stockmaking for many of the elaborate Pennsylvania and Kentucky Long Rifles. Its quite possible that Mossberg used some wood on your gun that had a natural Tiger Stripe grain pattern to it without having to find a piece of select grade wood.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the Revelation pump I posted was from 69 or 70. Maple can produce some interesting grain patterns when quarter sawn, There is also Birdseye Maple, and Fiddleback Maple. Tiger Maple was commonly used in stockmaking for many of the elaborate Pennsylvania and Kentucky Long Rifles. Its quite possible that Mossberg used some wood on your gun that had a natural Tiger Stripe grain pattern to it without having to find a piece of select grade wood.
Even though that is a handsome stock on that pump. It is nowhere near the patteren of the grain on mine. It is more like the one Kobs posted though a little darker in color.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I called Mossberg and they directed me to a gentlemen by the name of Victor Havlin. He is an expert on old Mossbergs. Since he is retired now, he only takes calls from 09:00 to 14:00 mon thru thurs. Maybe he can shed some light on this. I will post what he tells me.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Hey, what can i say .. I'm Canadian I have always had a fondness for Maple in all it's variations . I absolutely adore Birdseye Maple and the Fiddleback ( thanks for the pics Popeye , very nice ! ) and i have always had a thing for Circassian Walnut ... but to get back on track ... Artie, I know of Victor Harlin ( smart guy ) and i would bet that he has your answer ... in fact he probably has all the answers :lol:

Good luck and good shooting .

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, what can i say .. I'm Canadian I have always had a fondness for Maple in all it's variations . I absolutely adore Birdseye Maple and the Fiddleback ( thanks for the pics Popeye , very nice ! ) and i have always had a thing for Circassian Walnut ... but to get back on track ... Artie, I know of Victor Harlin ( smart guy ) and i would bet that he has your answer ... in fact he probably has all the answers :lol:

Good luck and good shooting .
Yes, thank you all for posting the pictures.
Gunz, I look forward to speaking with Victor. It will just have to wait untill Monday I suppose.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts