National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Thomas Lifson

Tiffany Cross, the now-former host of MSNBC’s weekly show, Cross Connection, surrendered to temptation and may have greased the skids for her downfall by abuse of her expense account.

At the time she was fired (when her contract was not renewed and she was abruptly locked out of her studio) early this month, her vulgar on-air remark that “Florida literally looks like the dick of the country” was cited as the straw that broke the camel’s back, the latest and worst of her on air extremism, which often was racially tinged.

But in an exclusive report in the New York Post, we learn that a number of other factors were aggravating her bosses, and that once she heard that the axe was falling she planned vengeance.

YouTube screengrab
Alexandra Steigrad writes:
Ex-MSNBC host Tiffany Cross learned that she was getting pushed out days ahead of her exit — and threatened to “go out in a blaze” and “take down” the cable-TV network and its boss Rashida Jones, The Post has learned.

The controversial anchor — whose weekend show “The Cross Connection” was abruptly canceled earlier this month as MSNBC elected not to renew her contract, according to sources — began frantically calling other journalists, media executives and social activists a week before her ouster in a bid to rally support, a source with knowledge said.
“She made calls saying: ‘I’m going out in a blaze and I’m taking down the network and going after Rashida,'” a source close to the situation said, paraphrasing Cross.
Trashing your former employer may gratify the lower urges one feels when being shown the door, but it does not exactly signal to prospective new employers that one will be an ideal colleague to add to the organization. Particularly so when the nation’s economy is in decline, even if Biden and the media insist that there is no recession.

But Cross’s expense account behavior was a good sign of her lack of judgment and taste:
The Post has learned that she also had been under fire for racking up as much as $100,000 in expenses for five-star hotel stays.

During her two-year tenure at MSNBC, the host took trips to Los Angeles and the Super Bowl, positioning them as work trips, sources said. Cross’ Oscars trip, in which she stayed at the Beverly Wilshire on Rodeo Drive for an “extended stay,” raised eyebrows, according to a source.
“She’s staying at a hotel NBC’s execs don’t stay at,” the source said of the Four Seasons-owned hotel, which charges more than $1,000 a night for a basic room during high season.

“She mistook working in television news for being a celebrity,” the source added. “She was making north of $200,000 and she acted like she made $5 million.”
Expense account behavior is one of the “tells” of a person’s character. The most sensible advice I ever got came a couple of years after I had first started traveling on other people’s money as a consultant, when I joined the faculty at Harvard Business School. “Spend our money the way you would spend your own,” was the guidance given to me by then-Dean Lawrence Fouraker, and it made sense, especially for a nonprofit, even a wealthy one like HBS.

When a consulting client’s policy was first-class travel and five-star hotels, I gladly accepted the perks. I am no monk. But it’s more than obvious that people with responsibility for budgets don’t appreciate having to cut elsewhere when a bloated expense account blows a hole in the month’s finances. It’s a matter of basic respect.

But respect for others doesn’t seem part of Tiffany Cross’s character, as far as I can see from her reported behavior. More like “Get it while you can,” seems to be her watchword.

Now that media organizations are cutting back and laying off staffers, she is not exactly showing herself to be a desirable hire. Good luck to her; she’ll need it.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
I'm sure the view will pick her right up!

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,992 Posts

·
Keep calm & return fire!
14,031 Posts
Expense account behavior is one of the “tells” of a person’s character. The most sensible advice I ever got came a couple of years after I had first started traveling on other people’s money as a consultant, when I joined the faculty at Harvard Business School. Spend our money the way you would spend your own,”
I work in field service. I have an expenses account. My company is not big on firing people but one sure fire way to get tossed out is to play games with expenses.
I have seen a few people let go for it. The company I work for is big. 3000 employees big. They have a whole department dedicated to making sure things are on the up & up.
We had a tech. that traveled every week. Leave Monday morning and come home Friday type of deal. Guy did this for years. Then we got an email.... effective immediately he is no longer with the company.

Seems what he was doing was booking flights on his credit card. generating a receipt and expensing it. He would then cancel the flight and immediately rebook it using travel points and pocketing the reimbursement. He was likely doing this with hotels and car rentals as well and was probably doing it for a very long time. This guy was a very seasoned and knowledgeable tech and they threw him out the door without hesitation.

My Boss tells us regularly. Spend money like its your own.
I dont F around with my expenses. Not worth it.
100% agree with the very first sentence in the quote. "Expense account behavior is one of the “tells” of a person’s character." - this is so true.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,992 Posts
Years ago, I worked as a systems manager keeping the mainframes up and running, etc. And part of the job entailed traveling to satellite sites and running a mock disaster recovery test twice a year in Atlanta. Because of that, I had a corporate AMEX card. I only used the card for business expenses and never spend more than was needed. One day, someone up the food chain got the grand idea of doing away with the corporate AMEX cards, and letting the employees charge company business expenses on their personal credit cards. I wasn't having any of that BS, and refused to become a loan institution for the company I worked for. They told me, I didn't have a choice, and I told them I wasn't financing the company's business expenses. They finally relented and issued me and another manager corporate AMEX cards. I could read the writing on the wall, and found greener pastures elsewhere and left the company, before the SHTF. The last I heard, most of the people I worked with had left that company.

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Where I work we rarely charge stuff out on the road except diesel if you can't make it back to the yard to our own pumps or gas for the few gas vehicles we have. Once in a great while you may need something else and they pay in from petty cash when you get back and the end of the day. We don't have a cards, we have accounts set up at certain gas stations and you just sign and turn in the slip. Years ago a guy turned in a slip and at the end of the month when the comptroller was going through she noticed someone charged 2 cans of chew and 2 packs of smokes when they got gas. They confronted the guy who signed the slip and he didn't even smoke or chew. They went back and see who signed out the truck that day and it turned out to be a dispatcher who signed someone else's name. After 10 years of working there they fired him on the spot and he lost his job for about $25. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
In my career in accounting and finance, I've come to despise company cards, however, there is no doubt that they are a necessary evil.

One company I worked with had no company cards but people tried to get reimbursed on their expense accounts for personal expenses. One guy was bringing in millions in revenue to the company, very profitably. He was VERY well paid and yet, we still caught him effing around with his reimbursement receipts. But the owners just asked me to remove the items and reimburse him for the rest of it and refused to fire him because he made the company so much money. THAT one was crazy.

We discovered that people with company trucks would pull up to the pump, gas up his car, gas up his wife's and his brother's cars. The thing is, these guys were required to put in the vehicle's odometer miles every time they refueled. Then the cardlock company would send me a report of the miles and the fuel. It was pretty easy to spot the drastic decline in mileage on any particular vehicle. The yard manager and I would drive over to the fuel depot after everyone left in the morning and sure enough, we watched them pull this stunt. Called the guy in and fired him on the spot. Happened often enough that it was nearly routine.

Walked out to the yard one day and saw a guy siphoning gas from a company truck directly into his own car. The balls of the guy was amazing. I fired him on the spot.

I believe everyone, including me, has their price. A story says that Abraham Lincoln, when he was still a senator, was in his office with a lobbyist one day when all of a sudden, the door flew open, Lincoln was dragging the guy out by the scruff of his neck and the back of his belt and tossed him into the dust out in the street. His secretary asked, "What was that all about?" Lincoln replied, "He as getting too close to my price."

It's amazing that people are willing to sell their integrity for so very little. In every case when someone was caught stealing from a company I worked for, these individuals could have come to me for an advance on their paycheck at any time. Interest free, no less. But they couldn't swallow their pride enough to just ask. As an aside, every person we caught stealing was in a position where they had run up their personal expenses to the level where they could no longer afford to pay their own bills unless they were able to steal from their company.

I have never really completely understood it. My price is somewhere in the hundreds of millions of bucks. I've never had an opportunity to steal that much, of course, so I can't really test that limit. Other people have a price of less than $100. There are a rare few good souls who simply won't do it for any price.

--Wag--

·
Keep calm & return fire!
14,031 Posts
Wags story reminded me of this…

This was over 30 years ago…I was shacked up with this chick. She rented a room from a single lady that had 3 sons
The sons were around our age at the time. Their dad had passed away I believe. The house was very nice, very large square footage wise. Had horses etc.
Very nice spread for a widow raising 3 sons on her own (she didn’t work and she was relatively young, late 50’s maybe)

The oldest son drove a vette. He was in his mid 20’s.
They had this uncle from Long Island that they talked about like he was a God. The uncle obviously financially helped this family.
He had money and apparently a lot of it.

He was a financial guy for a large NY construction company. Come to find out he was stealing from the company. I’m sure he had some legitimate businesses and investments because the guy obviously wasn’t broke but he was robbing his company blind.

He was working with someone else inside the company and what they were doing was purchasing pieces of construction equipment on paper that didn’t really exist. The would buy a $250k front end loader for example. The funds would be dispersed and him and the coconspirator would split it. I’m sure I’m oversimplifying it but this is the gist of what they were doing.

They eventually got caught, got fired, he avoided jail but had to pay restitution.

I met the uncle once. I went somewhere out on the island with one of the sons and we had lunch with him. He was an interesting guy. I was pretty young and I remembered thinking to myself…this guy is mob’d up, he’s definitely mob’d up. He was like a character straight out of the Godfather movies.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Wags story reminded me of this…

This was over 30 years ago…I was shacked up with this chick. She rented a room from a single lady that had 3 sons
The sons were around our age at the time. Their dad had passed away I believe. The house was very nice, very large square footage wise. Had horses etc.
Very nice spread for a widow raising 3 sons on her own (she didn’t work and she was relatively young, late 50’s maybe)

The oldest son drove a vette. He was in his mid 20’s.
They had this uncle from Long Island that they talked about like he was a God. The uncle obviously financially helped this family.
He had money and apparently a lot of it.

He was a financial guy for a large NY construction company. Come to find out he was stealing from the company. I’m sure he had some legitimate businesses and investments because the guy obviously wasn’t broke but he was robbing his company blind.

He was working with someone else inside the company and what they were doing was purchasing pieces of construction equipment on paper that didn’t really exist. The would buy a $250k front end loader for example. The funds would be dispersed and him and the coconspirator would split it. I’m sure I’m oversimplifying it but this is the gist of what they were doing.

They eventually got caught, got fired, he avoided jail but had to pay restitution.

I met the uncle once. I went somewhere out on the island with one of the sons and we had lunch with him. He was an interesting guy. I was pretty young and I remembered thinking to myself…this guy is mob’d up, he’s definitely mob’d up. He was like a character straight out of the Godfather movies.
There was a lady who worked for our local Hyundai dealer that did something similar. She was selling brand new cars to her friends for like 5-10K cash but under fictitious names and addresses. When the loans didn't get paid they went to repossess cars that just weren't there. Once they figured something was up they simply did DMV searches for the cars using VIN numbers and found them all and figured out who was doing it. I guess she wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree as a 5 year old could have solved the case. She went to prison..

·
Registered
21,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"At the time she was fired (when her contract was not renewed and she was abruptly locked out of her studio) early this month, her vulgar on-air remark that “Florida literally looks like the dick of the country” was cited as the straw that broke the camel’s back, the latest and worst of her on air extremism, which often was racially tinged."

Seems to have gotten lost in the thread progression.

Her abuse of the expense finances of a pure Leftist propaganda cable TV network is the least of my concerns. And they still employ Al "Charlatan" and Rachel "Madcow".

Besides, dishonesty is viewed as a prized virtue at MSNBC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts