National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

Please give me your opinion on Thumb vs Grip safety...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well, grip safeties are passive, so they don't require an extra action to disengage like a manual. However, they can still be accidentally disengaged while holstering, which is when a lot of NDs occur. Also, on some of them, if your grip is not good, the gun can be non-functional. This could happen in a contact situation where you are wrestling with an attacker or he is behind you.

Manual safeties are active, by which I mean you know if they are on or off. The problem with them is if you forget to engage or disengage when appropriate. I personally prefer manuals. Of course, the trend today is to have no safety. Having shot the 1911 for decades, which of course has both manual and grip safeties, I am not comfortable without any safety. And the so called "safety trigger" does not count.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I think he was confused. No, I know he was confused. Thumb safeties are not passive and it takes a lot of practice to get it down to muscle memory. That's why I get guns with out the safety if it's an option.

Holstering is always a dangerous activity which should be done with great care. For that reason I have an XD-S with a (passive) palm safety. When I holster I push on the slide so as to not engage the palm safety. When I shoot I grab the gun and engage the palm safety to shoot. It takes no thought and is very hard to miss.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your input, I did watch Hikok 45 and he doesn’t like the grip safety as, It doesn’t work well with all hands, sometimes makes difficult to make the gun functional...

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Well I actually spent time at the range trying to make it un-functional and failed. I could not hold the gun and shoot it without engaging the palm safety.

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
Safetys I don't care for, though if a firearm has one (which I like it a lot) I will deal with the safety and practice and train. 1911's have both and I like the 1911. The grip safeties use to be an issue way back when now not so much seeing they made the grip safety extend out more so the grip will push in the safety. Most times I feel a grip safety is not needed if you have a thumb safety. Star firearms would be one to look at. Though some of their BM-9 models had issues with the thumb safety notch not having enough metal. This issue was fix in later models.

Thumb safety on most 1911 should not be so small they look like a pimple. Its a safety, they all should be large enough to operate with your thumb easily. The "extended thumb safety" should be imo standard.

I have had to swap out every thumb safety I had on a 1911 except for one, Springfield EMP-4.

Simple thing is and best safety is keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. As for reholstering, same thing keep your finger off the trigger and make sure nothing is in the way of reholstering. Practice often worry less.

Shouldn't tell anyone that practice reholstering without ammo, seeing this should be standard for practicing in your house like dry firing. Won't practice dry firing with live ammo right?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
I remember when 'pinning' (locking off) 1911 grip safeties was the hot thing to do. Don't see that much anymore. It was unnecessary then, it is unnecessary now.

·
55,432 Posts
I have never witnessed a 1911 ND when the pistol was being holstered
I have witnessed three 1911 NDs when the pistol was being drawn from the holster. The shooter was in a hurry and swept the safety (and pulled the trigger) before the pistol had cleared the holster and its muzzle was pointed downrange.

·
55,432 Posts
I have only seen one person who was unable to always engage a 1911 grip safety. She was a very small woman shooting a Para-Ordinance double stack 1911.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
After being lulled into a subtle case of fatigue after about 350 rounds of 230 grain standard hard-ball, I've had an occasional failure of trigger pull with the grip-safety not fully depressed.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have never witnessed a 1911 ND when the pistol was being holstered
I have witnessed three 1911 NDs when the pistol was being drawn from the holster. The shooter was in a hurry and swept the safety (and pulled the trigger) before the pistol had cleared the holster and its muzzle was pointed downrange.
I've also witnessed ND's with 1911's in which the user was attempting to lower a cocked hammer onto a loaded chamber. 1911's were designed to be carried cocked, chamber loaded and with the thumb safety engaged. Usually the people having this type of ND are inexperienced with the 1911.

·
Registered
14,765 Posts
Either safety is fine with me but i do like a grip safety slightly better. I have semi small hands and never had a problem making a grip safety work.

·
Live Free
3,461 Posts
I grew up on revolvers, so safeties were something I had to adjust to. I like the 1911 configuration; the manual safety is easy to thumb off and I never have had a problem with any grip safety (including Springfield XD’s). But I am quite happy with my safety being that I simply keep my finger off the trigger until I want the gun to fire. My EDC is a Sig P365 with no safety; I keep my finger out of the trigger guard until time to fire and I am very slow and careful to re-holster making sure nothing gets tangled. There is no room for complacency handling firearms; complacency will stress even the best gun safety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts