National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a Mossberg Patriot from Buds gun shop as i have read good reviews. Do you guys think this is a good rifle or is there another one that is better chambered in .308 under 500$.

·
Live Free
2,621 Posts
The wood stocked model looks nice, but from what I have seen they are not as accurate as, say, a Savage Axis II which can also be had in wood, if you desire. That said, they seem to shoot 1.5 to 2.0 MOA, which is acceptable for a hunting rifle. The fluting on the bolt and barrel seems out of place on an entry level rifle, but if you like it...

·
Registered
5,855 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Axis and the T/C Compass are the rock bottom these days. And they are accurate rifles. Manufacturers have figured out how to make good barrels and triggers for next to nothing. And that's about it as far as what you get at the bottom.

The Ruger American is shockingly, boringly perhaps, accurate. It come in any number of variants, some of which aren't much to look at and others of which are pretty innovative. The Patriot is in a similar situation. The rifles are better finished and are more than a good barrel and trigger jammed into a piece of plastic, a la Axis or Compass. But, the interesting thing with the Patriot is that you can also get a decent Walnut stock and bkued metal for a decent price. As is pointed out above, the Rugger 77 is a better finished rifle, and controlled feed to boot, but they haven't been universally known for their sub MOA accuracy.

I recently purchased a Mossberg Patriot. For $300 I got a brand new Patriot with Williams iron sights and a tungsten Cerakote finish in 375 Ruger. Why so cheap? Because it comes in a nasty black synthetic stock and weighed a bit under 6.5lbs. Who in their right mind wants a 6.5lbs rifle in 375 Ruger? Well, bedded the stock in Accriglass added some weight and scoped it with a hefty Bushnell and it now a little over 9 lbs. I find it extremely accurate and have been very please with 1.5" five shot groups with 270 grs Hornady at 2650fps. And I have worked up a cast load that is fairly soft shooting and will do well for hogs and deer.

I am impressed with the rifle, especially for that absurd price. it is push feed, if the matters. The plastic magazine feels horribly cheap to me, but it's extremely easy to load and eve more so to seat in the rifle. It is a deal. But Europtic is selling M18 Mausers in 270 Win, 30-06, and 6.5 CM for $399, so deals abound.

A nice walnut and blue steel rifle is pretty hard to find these days. I have been impressed by the Patriot. I would buy again, and would buy walnut and blued steel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts