National Gun Forum banner

Thoughts on Herter’s .22 LR?

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Southernguns 
#1 ·
I have never used them before, but decided to give em a try since they are priced at .06 per round at Cabelas. Does anyone know who manufactures these for Cabelas? They look like they are Winchester 36 grain hp. I’ll find out soon enough for myself, but I am curious what others who have shot them thought of them.

#3 ·
Personally found it to be dirtier than most 22LR and it seemed to be on the low end of bulk ammo choices. I only use it in a pinch and then in guns with manual actions or revolvers.

Several years ago I bought several boxes of Herter's centerfire ammo for a 6.5 Swede with plans to reload the brass. After initial firing from the factory a good percentage of the brass required trimming, since then I've largely avoided the brand.

Selliers and Bellot makes Herter's.

#4 ·
Personally found it to be dirtier than most 22LR and it seemed to be on the low end of bulk ammo choices. I only use it in a pinch and then in guns with manual actions or revolvers.

Several years ago I bought several boxes of Herter's centerfire ammo for a 6.5 Swede with plans to reload the brass. After initial firing from the factory a good percentage of the brass required trimming, since then I've largely avoided the brand.

Selliers and Bellot makes Herter's.
Thanks for the feedback.

#6 ·
I gathered some a ways back and stocked up. How "good" it is is a relative term. Perfectly fine for range day/plinking. They may or may not be dirtier (than what?), but my 10/22 never choked on them, and WTH, I clean after every shooting session anyway. I honestly don't think the rifle or I can shoot well enough to really discern that they're inaccurate (again relative). I got 'em, I shoot 'em, I'm satisfied with 'em for my uses.

-jb, sets a low bar if there's no alternatives

#9 ·
CCI is trying to get there with these two offerings. They do indeed have much cleaner burning powder than, for instance, the CCI Blazers. I'm still shooting some off this "newer, clean, stuff", if only to see how accuracy is in a few of my rifles:

Knowing that .22 rimfire has that 'rep' for dirtying up a .22 rimfire bore, I've taken to treating my .22 rimfire bores with EEZOX during a cleaning session. This synthetic CLP leaves a light coating in the bore that seems to repel all the crapola involved with most all .22 rimfire cartridges. Anyway, it works for me, and my crew of .22 caliber rimfire guns:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.