Registered
15,345 Posts
Damn, missed another fun thread......

• Haha
Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry cocked and locked, I train that way from concealed at outdoor ranges where I can. Indoor range I practice gun down, pick up, drop safety lever, double tap, safe, pit gun down. That safety going off or back on is just second nature, training keeps it that way.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
So what exactly is your experience?

The fact that I didn't have a round chambered when the first attack happened, and that I said that I was backing up and defending myself should indicate that I was not being abrasive or antagonistic, nor did I reach for my gun right away.

Some people don't seem to understand that just because they have never had uncontrolled things happen to them it doesn't mean that they don't happen. Most often victims haven't done anything at all to incite or encourage a crazy person's raging attack, it just happens. I doubt if anybody would say that the victims of 9/11 did anything to force the terrorists to fly a plane in to their buildings.
I have a lot of experience, and I stated what it did not include. It has also never included having to use a gun to stop anything, although there have been times when other were acting badly and my presence (on my property) with a shotgun (simply standing there watching the show) stopped the bad acting... If I had had the issues you described I would certainly reflect on what I could do differently to insure they did not occur a second, or more times. But that's just me and the way I do things. Others continue to pick the scabs off of cuts and scrapes. I suppose it serves a purpose for them....

Alan

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I still missed the part in the thread where those who carry in condition one do so out of neccessity due to their abrasive personalities requiring them to be extra cautious.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
I still missed the part in the thread where those who carry in condition one do so out of neccessity due to their abrasive personalities requiring them to be extra cautious.
I'm not sure it's in there Mike. My statements were " I do understand though that there are those who, by their nature, seem to solicit an unpleasant response in others while behaving in their normal way... Those people should probably have a higher degree of concern about their readiness for self protection.", and " I'm saying that perhaps people with overly abrasive personalities attract circumstances which more often require self defense."

I'm not sure where "condition one" or even the use of a firearm fits either of those statements.

Alan

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
While I agree that those who go out looking for trouble are more likely to find it, I was also not able to make the connection with that and the topic of the thread. I have been sort of trying to figure out where the thread went south.

·
Aim true !
12,290 Posts
I stay out if town after dark anymore. Best thing to do now a days. Do my errands in the AM while the druggies and dealers are sleeping.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
While I agree that those who go out looking for trouble are more likely to find it, I was also not able to make the connection with that and the topic of the thread. I have been sort of trying to figure out where the thread went south.
I think he’s saying, if you’re an *******, you’re more likely going to find the need to carry ready to fire than a nice guy minding his own business. I 100% agree with that, however, there are others on here that might look like easy targets. Sometimes, just being older is enough.

·
Aim true !
12,290 Posts
After i had my quad reattached. And i wasn't walking well. I over heard someone at Walmart. Say there's an easy target. Im guessing he was referring to me.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Anyone who has witnessed the events of the last few years, with rioting around the country and politicians releasing thousands upon thousands mentally ill and violent criminals into society, knows that you don't need to go looking for it, to have violence find you. This is why many of us choose to carry. Some of the statements I've seen in this thread are more along the lines I'd expect to hear from anti gunners than those who advocate for gun ownership. Especially some of the comments I saw from the banned in this thread.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
I’m going to bow out of the conversation before I become unpleasant. Way too much my way is the only way going on in here for me to participate any longer.

@Speed probably ought to just lock the thread. OP probably got more than he asked for.

·
Jesus Saves
8,190 Posts
I’m going to bow out of the conversation before I become unpleasant. Way too much my way is the only way going on in here for me to participate any longer.

@Speed probably ought to just lock the thread. OP probably got more than he asked for.
I am noticing that those (like myself) who may not chamber are being ridiculed by "some" who disagree, or so it seems.

Maybe that is why they choose to chamber?

Just an observation. Like my friend Phil - I will bow out.

BTW - even when I carry a revolver, I have a removable trigger guard. What ya think of that?

·
Live Free
3,688 Posts
This is almost amusing, but not quite. The outward character of a person is not necessarily a reflection of that individuals carry habits. The soft spoken and friendly individual might be condition 1, while the person who has a attitude and seems to be asking for trouble more often than not might have the empty chamber. The irritant might be well advised to be more ready, but that is their choice. And nobody really needs to know. The thing is, we all have to make our decision and then live with it, and we cannot impose our decision on others. So why is everyone getting so snarky about it?? Relax and enjoy the fact that you have the ability to make a choice and honor each other as those who have also chosen wisely…

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I generally don't favor locking down a thread without first giving the discussion a chance to return to civility, just saying. I haven't ridiculed anyone who chooses to not carry in condition one. However I will suggest that perhaps under those conditions a 1911 may not be your best choice for carry and you may be better served with other weapon choices such as a DA/SA semi auto or DA revolver that can be safely carried hammer down with loaded chamber. In a deadly encounter you may not have the opportunity to draw and rack a slide, you may get bum rushed by an attacker, you may be injured and unable to do so under stressful conditions. Anything that provides economy of movement in bringing a weapon to bear under such conditions is to your advantage. Safety is also an important consideration regarding method of carry. By all means choose whatever works out best for your situation.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
One thing I would advise everyone to do is, in the coming days be more aware of your surroundings and perhaps be more ready to move. The terrorists who attacked the United States, on our soil, 20 years ago tomorrow have a bunch of new toys and after we flew them in last week they’ve been scattering like cockroaches.

They Biden administration has been continuously escalating crisis creation so maybe cocked and locked for a week or so is in order.

Alan

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think carrying any gun "hot" or condition 1 depends of the person carrying it. If you are experienced, trained, not a dumbass and have a lick of common sense, I don't know why you would question carrying cooked and locked. That is assuming it's a quality gun you are thourghly familiar with. I would not recommend it with a Jimenez or lorecin. I mean if you are affraid to carry hot, you don't meet the above criteria so stick with an empty chamber. But the extra 5 seconds you will need may not be available. Life and death? Probably not for 99.9%.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts