National Gun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
By the way 'situational awareness' has absolutely nothing to do with 'negligent' (or, if you're not a United States Marine, 'accidental') discharges. Where did that come from?
near as I can tell from reading back through, it’s coming from you. No one else has made a correlation between the two.

Alan

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Registered
I EDC a G21
16 Posts
near as I can tell from reading back through, it’s coming from you. No one else has made a correlation between the two.

Alan
Then you need to read through this thread again because you obviously missed it. Oh, I see you're a 'Super Moderator'; so I'll be glad to go into more detail for ya:

(1) The title of the thread is, "Thoughts On Cocked And Locked" (A meaningless misnomer, but still . . . )

(2) Post #14:

I’m very situationally aware and carry chambered, cocked and safety on
Now, do you see the connection? Does this clear things up some for ya? Besides this whole thread is, in comparison to the 30 pages that Glock Talk presently has on the very same subject, rather naïve and, perhaps, even a little simplistic.

Just more of the same old internet gun forum folderol about C1 carry being the only way to go, and 'real cowboys' always have their pistolas ready to strike down evil the moment it appears. You know, "If it ain't got a round in the chamber then it's nothing but a brick."

Maybe you ought to take a look at the Glock Talk thread—All 30 pages of it. Who knows? The quality of responses this particular thread is getting just might improve! Here ya go. (Think of it as a favor!) 😀

Okay I’ll Say It—Carrying A Gun Without A Round Chambered IS Better Than Not Having A Gun

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Still don't see the connection between AD/ND and situational awareness... so, it didn't clear anything up for me, except a condescending attitude from you.

And yes, I am a Super Moderator (A meaningless misnomer, but still . . . ), but still...

I've stated my opinion, as has everyone else who has posted to this thread. On this forum we sometimes wander around as opposed to sticking to the straight and narrow storyline, but still...

Don't make things personal and all will be fine.

Posting links to other forums is not really something we do either.

Alan

·
Premium Member
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not to jump into a pissing contest but if you have a Glock ( not the question I posted) and time there’s a round in the chamber, the trigger safety is active. The striker is pressured and could discharge the gun. There’s a reason I asked about the single action 1911 styl pistols. They have redundant safeties. The grip, the manual lock and yes the shooter’s finger, even with a round in the chamber. It’s ready to fire WHEN the shooter does 3 things to make it fire. A very safe weapon and a very ready weapon.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,459 Posts
Then you need to read through this thread again because you obviously missed it. Oh, I see you're a 'Super Moderator'; so I'll be glad to go into more detail for ya:
You’re being a arrogant douche. No one likes an arrogant douche regardless of how knowledgeable they claim to be.

Take a vacation and come back renewed and respectful.

Your next vacation will be permanent. That’s a promise

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't make things personal and all will be fine.

Alan
And yet you said;

The last time I had a confrontation where someone was trying to hit me, I was 20 years old. In public I smile, act pleasant and make an effort to avoid unpleasant people, especially while they are being unpleasant... I do understand though that there are those who, by their nature, seem to solicit an unpleasant response in others while behaving in their normal way... Those people should probably have a higher degree of concern about their readiness for self protection.

Alan
Maybe I'm overly sensitive but it seems like you are blaming the victim, which appears to be a little personal.

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
Lets keep it cool in here.

While I will agree cocked and locked for the 1911, it was not intended to be carried that way. Military instructed the troops to carry with an empty chamber hammer down. If I remember right, what they were told, the hammer down on a loaded chamber could result in a discharge seeing the firing pin was free floating (no firing pin block / drop safety). Some 1911's today are still made that way. Why they didn't instruct them to carry cocked and locked is, my guess, dirt and debris would get between the hammer and firing pin. Again this is my guess so dont quote me as saying this is why.

I have been carrying a 1911 these past seven months cocked and locked. I perfer it that way seeing I'm not going out playing in the woods or getting my truck stuck in some sippy holes n mud pits. If I was to do this then one of my Glocks would be at my side.

Imo 1911's are fine to carry cocked and lock for just going out doing your daily whatevers. If someone wants to carry with none in the chamber then they better practice racking the slide soon as the firearm exits that holster. Short racking during high stress for someone not trained this way might be an issue too. Train, practice, train.

I highly recommend carrying cocked and locked for a 1911, though your mileage may very.

Yes the person behind the firearm is the most important part of "the safety" or for safe handling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
"OK, but what do your remarks have to do with the cost of a pound of bacon in Boston! Are you drinking, right now"

Man, your first sentence above was completely uncalled for. You voiced your opinion, others have voiced there's. There's absolutely no point in getting "nasty".

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Maybe I'm overly sensitive but it seems like you are blaming the victim, which appears to be a little personal.
I doubt you are over sensitive. I'm not blaming victims at all. I'm saying that perhaps people with overly abrasive personalities attract circumstances which more often require self defense.

But, in my experience, which has not included being physically attacked with any degree of regularity, my first reaction to sudden moves or sullen glares is not to reach for my gun...

Perhaps I just don't go to the right places to be accosted or piss off the right people. I can't say that I'll try harder...

I'm not a victim, won't ever be one. I have seen many times when people bring things upon themselves, or even precipitate violence and then claim victimhood...

So, those are my personal views on that subject, which has done nothing to alter my views on what, where, when, or how I carry a 1911 pistol, or if I carry one at all...

Alan

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
My dad carried his 1911s cocked and locked. That is the way he learned from his father who brought the first 1911 any of them had ever seen back from a five year vacation he took in the Pacific in the early 40s. When I was growing up, my father who was taught cocked and locked, taught me to carry a pistol de-cocked on an empty chamber. He felt that was the safest. I see no reason to change at this point. I am most comfortable with an empty chamber. I prefer that my sons carry on an empty chamber as well. Whether they do or not is entirely up to them, but they were taught to do so. As long as they are safe, I'm good with it.

In complete contrast, I carry revolvers, both SA and DA with a full cylinder. It is how I am most comfortable.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Y'all ever seen a bunch of cats playing with a mouse, having fun, then a big old one eyed Tom Cat with a crooked tail and torn ears just walks up and eats the mouse?

Alan

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
That escalated quickly…

Dang Super Moderators and their authority and stuff… 😂

In my opinion, depends on where, when and under what circumstances. Do I feel the need to be chambered around my house/property or neighbors, no. In a urban parking structure at night, yes. All situations aren’t equal. Do what feels right.

·
Live Free
3,688 Posts
I will not reconfigure my firearm depending upon the perceived hazard of the particular area I am currently in. I train myself to operate with the firearm in the manner I carry it all the time. Thus with a 1911 it is cocked and locked. I am not going to lower the hammer for some places or empty the chamber for others. I train cocked and locked so that is how I carry. I will not put myself in the position of having to remember what status my gun is today because I keep it the same always.
These days I most always carry the lighter weight P365 with a round in the chamber. Due to the lack of safeties on the gun, it is actually more dangerous than the cocked and locked 1911…and I am okay with that.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
I will not reconfigure my firearm depending upon the perceived hazard of the particular area I am currently in. I train myself to operate with the firearm in the manner I carry it all the time. Thus with a 1911 it is cocked and locked. I am not going to lower the hammer for some places or empty the chamber for others.
No one suggested you do that. My firearms are unchambered every evening. I don’t chamber unless it’s dictated. They aren’t chambered unless a potential exists. Would I change it once it’s there? No. I think it’s far more dangerous to attempt lowering a hammer on an loaded chamber than leaving it be. You may feel it necessary to carry at the ready all the time. I don’t. I know where I’m going and the potential there before I leave my house. To each his own. My father in law carries chambered from the time he puts his pants on in the morning. He’s 70 years old. My brother does not. He’s 40 and 6’2” and 300lbs. The chance of those two fending off an unexpected attack are very different. You do what makes you feel safe, I’ll do me.

·
Live Free
3,688 Posts
No one suggested you do that. My firearms are unchambered every evening. I don’t chamber unless it’s dictated. They aren’t chambered unless a potential exists. Would I change it once it’s there? No. I think it’s far more dangerous to attempt lowering a hammer on an loaded chamber than leaving it be. You may feel it necessary to carry at the ready all the time. I don’t. I know where I’m going and the potential there before I leave my house. To each his own. My father in law carries chambered from the time he puts his pants on in the morning. He’s 70 years old. My brother does not. He’s 40 and 6’2” and 300lbs. The chance of those two fending off an unexpected attack are very different. You do what makes you feel safe, I’ll do me.
Actually it sounded like you were suggesting that in post #34. I guess I misinterpreted your comments. My apologies! My point was simply to say, being consistent is important. Again, my apologies.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Actually it sounded like you were suggesting that in post #34. I guess I misinterpreted your comments. My apologies! My point was simply to say, being consistent is important. Again, my apologies.
No offense taken. I live in a pretty safe area. Murders out here are virtually non-existent. They happen but its usually years between. Most altercations, stay out of the bars (where you can't carry anyway) and you'll be fine. Occasionally, a car show / bike rally will come through but that's like once or twice a year. Springfield is different but its 30 miles away. I don't carry a chambered firearm in my neck of the woods, I don't see the point. If I we to go somewhere where my surroundings were uncertain, absolutely. If I meet someone to transfer a firearm, absolutely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I doubt you are over sensitive. I'm not blaming victims at all. I'm saying that perhaps people with overly abrasive personalities attract circumstances which more often require self defense.

But, in my experience, which has not included being physically attacked with any degree of regularity, my first reaction to sudden moves or sullen glares is not to reach for my gun...

Perhaps I just don't go to the right places to be accosted or piss off the right people. I can't say that I'll try harder...

I'm not a victim, won't ever be one. I have seen many times when people bring things upon themselves, or even precipitate violence and then claim victimhood...

So, those are my personal views on that subject, which has done nothing to alter my views on what, where, when, or how I carry a 1911 pistol, or if I carry one at all...

Alan
So what exactly is your experience?

The fact that I didn't have a round chambered when the first attack happened, and that I said that I was backing up and defending myself should indicate that I was not being abrasive or antagonistic, nor did I reach for my gun right away.

Some people don't seem to understand that just because they have never had uncontrolled things happen to them it doesn't mean that they don't happen. Most often victims haven't done anything at all to incite or encourage a crazy person's raging attack, it just happens. I doubt if anybody would say that the victims of 9/11 did anything to force the terrorists to fly a plane in to their buildings.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
If the banned hadn't claimed to EDC a Glock in his profile pick, I'd have thought we had another Gunkid outbreak. Gotta admit he came off a lot like Gunkid.

Reactions: Stevejet
21 - 40 of 65 Posts