National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who carry a 1911 type of single action auto, do you carry cocked and locked? A round in the chamber with the hammer cocked and the safety on or do you prefer round in the chamber, hammer down or empty chamber? I’m talking about the weapon being carried in a CCW use.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
For those who carry a 1911 type of single action auto, do you carry cocked and locked? A round in the chamber with the hammer cocked and the safety on or do you prefer round in the chamber, hammer down or empty chamber? I’m talking about the weapon being carried in a CCW use.
Hammer down on an empty chamber would take longer and more dexterity to cock that racking the slide.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
I spent five min thinking about this and I came up with what I've always done. Hammer down on an empty chamber strapped down. I put myself in so few situations where the necessity of quick draw would be warranted, that there is little need to do otherwise. Secondly, I rarely carry a 1911 concealed. I normally pocket carry a little 380 of some flavor or a snubby. Anything I carry in a holster is strapped down. I can think of nothing more embarrassing than my sidearm falling out of my holster or heaven forbid an AD (ND).

I'll play my broken record... Situational Awareness. You can't make up for failure to monitor your surroundings by having your sidearm cocked and locked.

For police or military, cocked and locked is the norm. They are actively going into bad situations and may need their sidearm much faster than I will need mine.

I know, I know, precious seconds to flip the strap and cycle the action. In my various situations, if those seconds are the difference in life and death, then I haven't been paying close enough attention to my surroundings.

Others have different situations. Therefore they have different needs.

Alan

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
There has to be some parity, and uniformity of carry, between the 1911, and other platforms. So I carry at condition 1-13/16ths, a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. Tokarev, CZ52, revolver, 1911, all the same way.
I'm a geezer citizen, I rely on SA, but if somebody manages to sneak me, I doubt cocking condition of the gun is going to make much difference. NOT that this is Beirut, either.

·
Live Free
3,688 Posts
I don’t carry a 1911 these days. When I did it was cocked and locked. If I should elect to carry my RO Compact again, I will do the same then too. It is how I trained, and I see no reason to change.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Carried a Smith model 10 for a long time, chambered but hammer down. Safety was the hammer. Worked hard on drawing, cocking, pointing, and shooting. When I moved to my brothers Kimber it was easier to do the same thing and the transition was quick and smooth. The Kimber is currently off being Creocoated so I have been using the Ruger SP-101. Hope to have the Kimber back this week.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All my carries are condition 1. I'm an old guy and over the years I've found that in a real situation you need that instant availability or carrying is just a waste of time. Twice I've had confrontations that escalated without provocation, I avoided having to shoot in both situations but I realized that I was simply lucky, drawing the gun stopped the attacks. Both times the person/s were moving toward me and actually striking me. They were in physical contact and I had no chance of chambering a round, it wasn't about speed, it was about avoiding the attack and chambering at the same time, it's almost impossible to make that happen. You are moving backwards and raising your hands to defend yourself AND trying to chamber a round. The first time I needed to chamber a round, the second time I was already chambered.

·
Jesus Saves
8,190 Posts
Hammer down on an empty chamber and strapped on certain guns. I know my surroundings very well and if I feel I will be in an awkward position, I will chamber with safety on. As soon as I feel any danger is gone, back to empty chamber.

Years ago I had an AD/ND (whatever one wishes to call it). Since then I am overly cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
The last time I had a confrontation where someone was trying to hit me, I was 20 years old. In public I smile, act pleasant and make an effort to avoid unpleasant people, especially while they are being unpleasant... I do understand though that there are those who, by their nature, seem to solicit an unpleasant response in others while behaving in their normal way... Those people should probably have a higher degree of concern about their readiness for self protection.

Alan

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I did carry my Caspian Arms 1911 clone............Always cocked and locked! Any advantage to get ahead of the bad guy, I figure I'll make it home before they do.

·
Salmon Slayer
403 Posts
I’m very situationally aware and carry chambered, cocked and safety on
Ditto. When I first started to CC I carried with an empty chamber until I felt comfortable, with 2 small children around it took over a year. At that point (before the interwebz & U-tube) I had heard from friends and family, mostly military, that time is of the essence in an altercation even with keen situational awareness. Today I am older, not OLD, with slower reflexes and am very comfortable carrying condition 1.
I begrudge no one for their choice of carry.

·
Registered
I EDC a G21
16 Posts
John Browning DESINED (sic) it to be carried Cocked & Locked condition One. Who am I to argue?
Actually, . . . John Browning did NOT design the 1911 to be carried 'cocked and locked' as you say. It was the United States Military that required both the grip safety and the thumb safety to be added.

Now, how did I carry my Series 70 Mark IV Colt pistol during the 25 years that I fielded it? I carried it either in C3 with the chamber empty and the hammer all the way down, or in C1 with a round in the chamber, the hammer all the way back, and the safety strap on my holster between the firing pin and the hammer's face.

It was also highly recommended to us that the hammer should NOT be kept in the half-cocked position because that position was unsafe. Other than this I cannot count the number of times physical activity pushed the thumb safety off during those years; but, it is safe to say that this happened a lot!

Which is the reason why I only used holsters with thumb straps on them. By the way 'situational awareness' has absolutely nothing to do with 'negligent' (or, if you're not a United States Marine, 'accidental') discharges. Where did that come from?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, . . . John Browning did NOT design the 1911 to be carried 'cocked and locked' as you say. It was the United States Military that required both the grip safety and the thumb safety to be added.

Now, how did I carry my Series 70 Mark IV Colt pistol during the 25 years that I fielded it? I carried it either in C3 with the chamber empty and the hammer all the way down, or in C1 with a round in the chamber, the hammer all the way back, and the safety strap on my holster between the firing pin and the hammer's face.

It was also highly recommended to us that the hammer should NOT be kept in the half-cocked position because that position was unsafe. Other than this I cannot count the number of times physical activity pushed the thumb safety off during those years; but, it is safe to say that this happened a lot!

Which is the reason why I only used holsters with thumb straps on them. By the way 'situational awareness' has absolutely nothing to do with 'negligent' (or, if you're not a United States Marine, 'accidental') discharges. Where did that come from?
uhhh, this is a CCW forum in which a 1911 is carried. I was talking about SA in the macro sense. I’m very SA as well with firearm safety. IMHO the best safety is the shooter

·
Registered
I EDC a G21
16 Posts
uhhh, this is a CCW forum in which a 1911 is carried. I was talking about SA in the macro sense. I’m very SA as well with firearm safety. IMHO the best safety is the shooter
OK, but what do your remarks have to do with the cost of a pound of bacon in Boston! Are you drinking, right now? :rolleyes:

Besides, I've been carrying: 1911's, P35's, Walthers, Smiths, Colts, numerous Glock pistols, and shooting as many as 1,500 rounds of pistol ammunition each month for more than 45 years. Here's a hot news flash for ya: Even the safest of pistoleros is NOT going to retain complete control of his gun 100% of the time. No form of gun control, no regimen of gun safety is an absolute condition.

In my own experience it is the gunman who NEVER TRUSTS HIS WEAPON who tends to handle all guns both the safest, and the best. Once again: Situational awareness has little, if anything, to do with gun safety. That attitude is about as smart as trusting in the C1/C0 carry condition of your pistol.

THERE IS NO PERFECTLY SAFE (HANDGUN) CONDITION! NEITHER IS THERE ANY PERFECTLY SAFE GUNMAN.

This is the reason why you can never put your guard down whenever you're around other gunmen. I've been training people how to use firearms safely and well for more than 3 decades. A few years ago I made the mistake of taking my wife to the range with me one Saturday morning. While we were at the range, the woman never said a word; but when we got home she demanded that I swear—swear—to never again go to a public shooting range on the weekend.

If I did then she promised me that she'd have the lock changed on the gun safe, and store away all of my guns! (She meant it, too.) So, several years ago, now, I promised my wife that I would stay away from public gun ranges on weekends; and, do you know what, I have not been back to a public shooting range during the weekend ever since!

So much for C1/C0 carry, Cooper's Four Safety Rules, the 3 bullet scars I've got on my body, and public gun safety, huh! 🙃

1 - 20 of 65 Posts