National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
Strange question with no context....
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know any of these people? I have met a few over the years,

OF late a co worker dismisses these two projectiles are not at all a threat to your life. I told him my Crossman 10 pump could pierce his heart, put a hole in his lung or cause him to bleed out if it hits an artery. Same with a 22 but he does not think so. He's a gun owner and maybe his experience tells him otherwise. For example he told me a story about trying to slaughter his steer with a 30/30 rifle and having the bullet bounce off the animals skull causing it to run in circles and he having to jump on it and cut it's throat. I guess he shot it twice and same result.

I don't know where anyone get the notion but I know my Crossman BB gun can be used to kill someone.

· Super Moderator
16,604 Posts
Sounds to me like your co-worker is full of ...... it...

Any gun that shoots any projectile is potentially dangerous, injurious and possibly deadly...

Also,

If I ever shoot anything in the head with a 30-30 at spitting distance and the bullet "bounces" off of it's skull, I will NOT be jumping on its back to cut its throat....

When #1 son was about 4 years old he got real sick... when he was well, but not quite recovered, we went out in the truck because he wanted to go hunting. I saw a rabbit sitting off about 20 yards in the brush and told him he could shoot it. He climbed in my lap and stuck the barrel of MY old Daisy out the window and shot (he later told me that he hadn't even seen the rabbit). I could see the BB arc over and go directly into the rabbits eye laying it out DRT... If someone would have told me that BB gun could kill a rabbit at 20 yards I wouldn't have believed them, BUT, the rabbit was dead...

I would not want to be shot with a 22 cal pellet... It will break the skin and it will penetrate where it has the possibility of doing lethal damage.

Now, your co-worker may be and extraordinary kinda guy so the throat cutting while riding might be the case, but the 30-30 bouncing bullet part is a crock...

Alan

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He told me the story, I was not there. And I have no experience with that caliber but I know it's a potent round. I only bring up the story as a possible basis for his view points. Other people I knew in the past just laughed off the 22 round. As for the rabbit, if it got hit that's all it might take. The rabid died of shock. I saw a rabbit die when a cat sized it. It was wild and young, the cat no sooner got it mouth on it and its soul left its body. The Cat had not even gotten around to trying to kill it. Just was in for catching it. Silly rabbit, I would have saved it from the cat. All it had to do was hang in there. I was probably 13 at the time.

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
We always slaughtered our pigs with a .22 shot between the eyes and then slit the throat. I believe Bobby Kennedy was assonated with a .22. The .22 is called the assassin’s bullet because it’s small and relatively quiet especially if it’s suppressed. Navy Seals use .22’s for some of their work. I’ve known 3 people who stung deer in their garden with an air rifle, only to have the deer drop like a rock, stone dead.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,178 Posts
I don’t consider a crossman pump BB gun to be a lethal weapon. There are plenty of people when they were kids that can attest to that. Lots of BB guns wars in the woods. Now modern air rifles are a completely different animal. They are not the 10 pump BB guns of old.

The 30-30 story of the co-worker…that’s unadulterated BS. Plain and simple.

As far as .22. It is not a round that I would carry defensively but there have been many people killed with it. As someone mentioned it’s been the preferred round for some assassins. There’s been quite a few mob hits carried out with a .22.
I know I wouldn’t want to be shot with it. (In any part of my body)

· Registered
2,632 Posts
I don’t consider a crossman pump BB gun to be a lethal weapon. There are plenty of people when they were kids that can attest to that. Lots of BB guns wars in the woods. Now modern air rifles are a completely different animal. They are not the 10 pump BB guns of old.

As far as .22. It is not a round that I would carry defensively but there have been many people killed with it. As someone mentioned it’s been the preferred round for some assassins. There’s been quite a few mob hits carried out with a .22.
In my younger days while working on a security system in a Prison in South Florida I was installing motion detectors in the Amory when an inmate came in asking the CO for another .38 bullet for the Cow they were slaughtering, he came back again a few minutes later, and then again. The CO asked him what they were doing and the inmate said he was shooting it in the forehead. I went out which the CO to see what was going on and here was a cow with a bloody face and most of the skin on it's forehead missing. The CO asked me if I knew how to kill the cow and handed me the .38, I shot it behind the ear and it went right down. I believe that was a training moment!

· Super Moderator
16,604 Posts
Jarred loose another memory, or two. Cow broke her leg in the squeeze chute one day. Owner said to butcher her instead of taking the $25 at the sale. I went to the truck, got a 22 pistol and shot her halfway down from a line between the horns and the eyes. She never moved another muscle. Hell to get her out of the chute.

I shot hogs the same way. You don't want to get sloppy about it though. Miss the brain and it's amazing how much energy a dead hog has...

#1 son and I were hunting one morning and I shot a doe. He was about 6 or 7 and had his Benjamin 22 cal pellet gun. The truck was about 200 yards back down the road and I told him to stay there and watch her and to shoot her if she got up... (she was dead as a hammer)... As I was driving up I saw him shoot her... He said she was trying to get up (I suppose he comes by his imagination honestly)... Anyway, the range was about 5 feet and the pellet went through the skin and into her lung. Best not to mess around with a pellet gun thinking it won't do any damage... Might not kill you outright but damn sure won't do you any good...

Alan

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What type of corpsman BB gun are you talking about? There are differing types. And we shot at each other with them when we were kids too but we were not pumping them up to ten pumps or anywhere near it. They will kill with out medical treatment. The person getting shot could very well counter attack and defeat the person shooting that is true but it will still kill depending on where the BB lands.

· Jesus Saves
8,649 Posts
I might have told this story before but back in 1977 or 78 I took care of an elderly man who tried to commit suicide with a 22. He took it and pointed it at his heart and pulled the trigger, missed his heart. I took care of him for a few months since he was ventilator dependent. They took him many times to xray looking for the bullet but never found it and he did not have an exit wound. No one knows where it may have traveled. This is actually a long sad story and he told me many times why he tried to do it. Long story short, he died about 4 months later in a nursing home for ventilator dependent patients....he died of sepsis from that originated from a urinary tract infection. As a side note, while he was in the hospital I convinced the doctor to allow him to have a beer and watch the Bears game. Yes, it was a sad story.

All this talk about 22's reminded me of the gent.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When we shot at each other with Crossman pump air rifles, we had a rule of no more than 2 pumps and you had to aim for the legs only. Those little *** BB’s hurt!
Funny how that went on in different parts of the country and no communications between the kids doing it. We had a two pump rule also but you could hear the violators. There was no leg rule on our teams, we took cover in tall grass and I don't think many of us got hit more then a few times in total. Someone could have lost an eye and obviously we lacked adult supervision.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
AS FOR THE 22 ROUND AND getting shot with one. It may not kill you but if it messes up your life to the degree it did the gent who tried to kill himself with one it might as well have killed him. If it hits your spine you also might as well be dead. Maybe preferable in some opinions.

When I worked in an ER a guy came in with a self inflected gunshot wound to his chest with a 25. Cal. he lived but he was so messed up they had to life flight him to the larger city of Spokane. If he thought he had problems before this I told a nurse to wait till he gets his medical bills. Someone said he was in the hole for 50 grand before he even left the facility.

· Super Moderator
16,604 Posts
High medical bills are only problems for folks who intend to pay them.

Alan

1 - 20 of 63 Posts