National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a drive down to the Lexus dealer this am to buy a couple of parts.

I needed to replace a turn-signal light bulb, have a plastic key head replaced and find out the price of replacing the little shocks that hold up the hood when you check the oil.

The surprise was that the key required me to buy a new key for about $210 plus another $60 to reprogram the new key. I told the guy I would pass on that and live with the key I had.

The hood replacement parts were listed at $113 each or $226 total. I said I will pass on those to and just use a stick if need be to hold up the hood.

The light bulbs were funny too. He said $33 each and I wanted two. To this I asked if there was an aftermarket equivalent at Autozone and he looked it up and said yes, they would be about $3 each or a total of $6 and he had those in stock! So I bought the $3 bulbs instead of the $33 ones that you had to order.

I bought the two bulbs for $6 and drove down to Oil Can Henry's and asked them if they could install the bulbs. This headlight system was not an easy one to access. I had replaced all four of the headlight bulbs earlier in the week and those were easy. No so for the turn signal bulbs it was not easy to figure out how to get to the bulbs since panels covered all points of entry.

The guy at Oil Can Henry's took off a front panel, pulled out the whole headlight assembly and pulled the bulb. He checked and determined that he did not have the correct bulb in stock. I whipped my new bulbs out and he was a bit surprised that I had them, he installed the bulb and did not charge me a thing! I was shocked.

Lexus tried to rip me off big time and then this guy does the install of the lights for free! Just goes to show you must shop around and be very carefull when buying auto parts.

Any of you have similar experiences?

·
Registered
761 Posts
You can probably get the gas struts for the hood at Autozone too. Probably find a better deal on the key on fleabay, and there's probably instructions in your owners manual on how to program them yourself.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zulu7 said:
You can probably get the gas struts for the hood at Autozone too. Probably find a better deal on the key on fleabay, and there's probably instructions in your owners manual on how to program them yourself.

I did try autozone and they don't carry them. The suggested another place and maybe the Toyota dealer or a wrecking yard. I will try a few places for those next week. I imagine there are places on the internet where I could buy those cheap. Any ideas.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go ahead.
Try to find a driver's side mirror for a 1998 Nissan Fronter!!
Some fool smacked my wife's mirror in a parking lot, then took off!!
All that was broken was the glass.
But do you think we could find just the glass??
HELL NO!!
It's what is known as a "dealer only" part priced at $135 and that did not include installation!! :eek:
I was fuming over that for days!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts