National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people say that accuracy is based on the gun. i.e. The gun is extremely accurate.

Now, there IS a limit on how accurate a gun can be dont you think?? It has a LOT to do with operation of the firearm.

What percent would you give them?

75% operation of firearm
25% the gun itself.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I think your percentages are pretty close, Travis.

I also have to remind myself to not get too hung up on extreme accuracy in my self-defense weapon. Self defense practise is more than just putting out a tight group.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
A good shot can make an inaccurate gun shoot well.

A bad shot can make an accurate gun shoot poorly.

All of my firearms shoot better than I can shoot. If they can't, I get rid of them.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Mr Popeye has it right but what percent I haven't a clue. Exsample: A guy was complaining about his gun at the range. I took it and fired a mag through it all were in the com at 25'. The range officer a friend of mine came over and fired a mag and knocked the x-ring out of the target. There was nothing wrong with that pistol. The owner couldn't beleive it. He need some lessons on shooting right. :-B-:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
My Dad used to have an expression, "A poor workman blames his tools". I tend to go with that. With most modern firearms, except maybe some of the real junkers, the quality control is such that most can shoot reasonably well. With the major brands, it's really very rare that one is a dud right out of the box.

One experience that I will never forget, that goes to a firearm's inherent accuracy, was the training firearms we used when I was a small arms instructor in the USAF. We carried the old S&W Mod 15 .38 Spl., back then, and the old first- and second-generation M-16s (all Colt's). The .38s had anywhere from 90,000 to over 250,000 rounds through them. Many had almost no visible rifling left in their barrels. Yet the other instructors and I could shoot 90% or better with them on the standard course (7 - 15 - 25 yards). If we couldn't, we took the revolver off the line for depot maintenance (gut and rebarrel), but I only remember doing that a few times.

The M-16s were from a few different lots and we actually did shoot a few of the older ones completely out. But of the ones that met spec to be fired for training, most of which had well over 250,000 rounds through them (and little visible rifling); we personally would fire 90% or better on the 100 yard portion of the standard qualification course.

I'm with Popeye on this one.

G

·
IMO, more important than accuracy is being consistent.

IOW, if I put the gun in a vice, and lets assume all the ammo is exactly the same, then aim it at the center of a target and it *always* shoots 3" to the right of the aim point but stays in a tight group...that's consistent but not accurate. However, if it shoots all over the place or has very loose groupings, then it's inconsistent.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that (in theory) a consistent gun can be made to be accurate while an inconsistent gun cannot.

Once I know that a gun is consistent and accurate...then I only have myself to blame :D

G

·
Gunrnr, nuttin has changed.
My son did 10 years in CATM and had an officer come for his 3 year qalify shoot. He used an issue weapon and couldn't get on the paper. Complained about the pistol. Then used my son's issue sidearm, still off the peper. Son took the pistol and shot the bullseye out with one 13 round mag. :roll:

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
The answer is 50/50 in my opinion. You and the pistol are the weapon. Without either, the weapon doesn't exist.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Practice, practice, practice! Thats the solution for poor gun performance in most situations.

Concentrate on the gun in question and shoot it often. You will be surprised at the results, unless, as the folks above say, its got a shot out barrel or other mechanical problem.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
OK here comes a dum question :mrgreen: so should a new weapon out of the box need to be sighted in or will it be accurate :?:. I'm still new to shooting so I can assure you that I will ask dum question every now and then :mrgreen: :-B-: :-B-: :-B-: :-B-: :-B-:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
In case of a rifle with iron sights, no. The factory will generally have installed the sights in a particular fashion that facilitates easy assembly and packing. Most have the rear sight leaf in it's 100 yd position.

Handguns are much different. If the pistol has fixed sights it should have been bore sighted at the factory. But many fixed sight handguns I've seen are off significantly at even 10 yds and really bad at 25. My first USP40c was 8" low at 25 yds, out of the box, and that's no cheap pistol! Time to get out the file and the reblueing kit, Boys! With adjustable sight handguns, most are fairly close out of the box, to my experience, but again, there are many exceptions.

Remember also, that any two people are going to shoot differently, even with the same gun. Many factors influence that. Also, any two guns, I don't care if they have consecutive serial numbers, will shoot slightly different. Along that same line, two otherwise identical guns may do best with two different types of ammunition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts