National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found this double barreled shotgun in my basement. It's a black powdered 12 gauge J.B. Warwood that says "JB Warwood London Laminated Steel" on the top, other than that, I can't find anything else. Does anyone know anything about these guns or if it is worth anything?

Here is a few pictures:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know anything about your particular shotgun, but typically black powder shotguns don't bring very much. They are virtually all relegated to wall hanger status. There are a few exceptions, such as Springfield Trapdoor shotguns, and some of the early Winchesters.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Hello Corny.

The term 'laminated steel' is the old term for Damascus barrels. It was a technique used in the old days to make shotgun barrels. Unfortunately, the welds in the lamination rusts and the barrel becomes unsafe for use. It should not be used with any sort of modern smokeless power and even soft blackpowder loads may damage the gun - and the shooter in the process.

Some of those old guns are collectable, but usually only the major maker names, like L. C. Smith or Purdey or such. Many of the 'unknown' shotgun brands were made by other makers and stamped with the name of the commercial purchaser. (All the Sears and Western Field firearms, for instance.)

Chances are, the shotgun you have is just another old tool. Clean it gently, don't 'fix' anything. You might check some of the online gun sales websites to see if anyone has anything for sale like yours.

If not, hang it over the mantle and make up a story of how your great-great-grandfather carried that old smokepole at the Battle of Bunker Hill or something equally silly. My favorite is to unscrew the butt plate and carve Poncho Villa's initials in the wood underneath.

Something I forgot. Someone - and I cannot remember who - makes (or used to make) barrel liners for those old Damascus guns, so you could shoot 20 or 28 guage ammo through them. That's only for a fun gun shooter and possible conversation piece hunter. If it has any collector value, that would destroy it.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Check to see if it really says Woodward, not Warwood.

James Woodward & Sons.

Previously mfg. in London, England. Acquired by James Purdey & Sons in January 1949. In 1996, James Purdey & Sons once again started manufacturing a best quality Woodward shotgun.

From what I can find, you may wish to talk to a collector. Don't do anything to it until you do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the photos it doesn't look like a James Woodward- English shotguns don't have the pistol handle grip as far as I know but are almost straight. This makes them look very elegant but harder to hold as you have to bend your wrist.

In any case if the gun isn't nitro-proofed then I would only fire it on very special occasions!! A lovely gun to have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts