National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marks the sixty fourth anniversary of D-Day.

10,264 Allied troops were wounded or fell dead during the course of the invasion. But their sacrifice liberated a country and paved the way to victory.

I think they forgot.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
We owe them everything. Europe owes them even more.

God Bless our Troops, God Bless America

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gunrnr said:
We owe them everything. Europe owes them even more.

God Bless our Troops, God Bless America

Yes we do, and yes they do.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I saw that the family of one of the 9-11 stewardesses got an exhibit set up in France, along with some WWII stuff.

The French citizens I saw interviewed were all still grateful for what our servicement did and sacrificed during WWII, and were glad to have the exhibit.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, I saw that last night. Can't deny I got a little choked up. Thank God someone over there still recognizes what our Grandfathers' Generation did to save the world.

I tried to find the text of Gen. Colin Powell's speech at the American Cemetery in France, I believe given on the 50th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion (but I'm not positive), but was unable to with my less-than-adequate database skills. Essentially he said that we wanted to bring France and the world freedom, while taking only enough land to lay our dead to rest. Maybe G27B or one of you other Google monsters can help out. I know it's worth reading.

A side note: A few years ago I worked with a fellow who had been one of the Crew Chiefs for Marine One (the President's helicopter). He was ferrying B. Clinton around to the aforementioned 50th Anniv. D-Day events in France and England. He stated that Clinton essentially told him and the pilot to not let the engines cool down, that he'd make his speech and then wanted to "Get the hell out of there" immediately afterward. Apparently Mr. Clinton just couldn't grasp the concept of the ultimate sacrifice of those 10,000+ American troops. My friend said that Clinton’s behavior at similar ceremonies in The Philippines was even worse.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts