National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
USN
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm moderately interested in purchasing a decent quality bolt gun for big game hunting. I think I'm settled on .270 Winchester as the ammo of choice and my current choice is the Tikka T3X Lite, but I wanted to see if anyone had other suggestions.

The requirements for the rifle are this:

-Foreign preferred (I feel that US-manufacturer's QC has gone down in recent years, so trying to stay away from US manufacturers. My father's old Remington 700 and Ruger M77 are both great guns, don't get me wrong, but both were made before I was born)

-Bolt action, 270 Winchester

-Internal box magazine preferred (this is the one thing about the Tikka I don't like, it has a detachable box magazine)

-Under 7 lbs

-Stainless barrel, synthetic stock

-Price range: $500-$1000

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Then why not find an older US made Remington 700BDL? I have a 7mm mag BDL I bought in 1980. Took it out for the first time in 20 years shooting 30 year old reloads and got 3 shot groups at 100 yards at 1" or less..........

Reactions: Win94ae

·
USN
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really interested in going through the effort of finding a 90's or lower era R700 with all the features I want (ie stainless barrel, synthetic stock), I can always borrow my father's. I've got money to spend and no rush to find the perfect rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Ruger. My buddy has a Ruger Bolt action in 30-06 that’s about three years old and he was hitting a 8” plate at 300 yards. You need better than that?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
When you say the perfect rifle understand that you believe it to be the perfect rifle for you now. I don't have a problem with you wanting whatever it is you want but am curious as to how you came to the conclusions that you did and why you have the stipulations that you listed. What does moderately interested mean? Is price a driving factor at all?

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,864 Posts
.270 Winchester is a fine choice, especially for field and distance shooting. Consider a Winchester made in Japan, as I believe they all are today. I understand that they are made with top quality, as good or even better than ones made in the U.S. years ago.

·
USN
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@fixitfred
I do understand that, I've had my eye on the Tikka for a few years now and it's still the #1 on my list.

Conclusions are based on YouTube videos I've seen over the years. A lot of the reviews on the newer Remingtons and what have you have had minor flaws that should've been fixed during QC, the stipulations are preferences. I prefer internal box mags because that means fewer moving parts to deal with, I like Stainless/synthetic looks and durability over blued/wood, 270 has a better ballistic coefficient than 30-06 and shoots flatter, etc.

Moderately interested means I'm at a point where I don't need it and probably wouldn't use it outside the range for anything in the near term. I'm not actively seeking to buy one right now, still trying to pin down exactly what I need. Price isn't a major factor, I just don't want to spend more than a grand on the rifle itself and am willing to spend more than five hundred for it. This will be my budget bolt gun.

·
USN
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Scrub oak
That does look neat, I didn't know Winchester was made in Japan, I'll have to do some digging.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
Tikka is a fine choice. .270 Win? Okay.
Howa is a good rifle albeit a bit heavy.

For your information. The finest Winchester Model 70 rifles EVER MADE are being produced right now in Columbia, South Carolina. "Course, I doubt you'll find one for $500.00.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Tikka is a fine choice. .270 Win? Okay.
Howa is a good rifle albeit a bit heavy.

For your information. The finest Winchester Model 70 rifles EVER MADE are being produced right now in Columbia, South Carolina. "Course, I doubt you'll find one for $500.00.

The new ones are now better than the pre 64's? Cool, i haven't heard that.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
tika is a great rifle......though i do not like a detachable mag........

foreign made and moderately affordable........CZ would be my first choice

American made........Ruger 77 Hawkeye

if money is a concern......savage 110.....solid rifle.....

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,864 Posts
Sorry to lead you astray as it looks like the Winchester lever action rifles are made in Japan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My main rifle is a Tikka t3x lite in .308. It is the absolute best rifle for traversing through brushes and humping ridges. I love it. It's also my sharpest and most painful recoiling rifle, and my other two are a 300 win mag and a 45-70. The t3x are not long term bench shooters, but they are tack drivers and work every time in the field.

If you want an import, a Tikka offers the best value. Period. My favorite rifle is a Browning Xbolt variant in 300 win mag. An absolutely dangerous weapon for all purposes, but it is also about 25% more expensive than the Tikka. Does it shoot better? Yes. Does it shoot $300 better for most game? No.

You are right in that US makes rifles that are poor in quality, but that doesn't apply to all of them. Henry makes wonderful rifles. All of them are stunning. Ruger also makes wonderful rifles, but Rugers are terrible at QC-- nothing their customer service won't fix in seven business days if your bolt locks up. New production Marlins are also pretty fantastic.

But, if it's a bolt gun you want, a Tikka is what you need to have.

·
Aim true !
10,262 Posts
Speaking of Ruger QC my last 2 new ones. I had issues with loose sights. Nothing i couldn't fix on my own though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
.270 is a solid choice. For most people looking for an all-around hunting round, I recommend .30-06 as ammo can be found everywhere that ammo is sold and there is no shortage of ammo and .30 cal bullets from which to choose. Between a .270 and .30-06, it is very close. .270 will be flatter shooting and the ammo bullet choices will be ever so slightly less expansive than the .30-06. Either way, you can’t go wrong. I have both and prefer the .270 for far shots and .30-06 when I desire a little more oomph (bigger game, brush, etc) as I can use heavier loadings.

As for rifles, Tikkas are excellent. In your price range, I’d also look at Browning, Weatherby, and Winchester. I’d stay away from Remington as their quality control is hit and miss these days. It is glorious how you can get sub-moa rifles for $200. However, those guns usually have cheap stocks to save on costs. You should be able to find an excellent rifle in your price range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts