National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Jesus Saves
7,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started thinking about this. I may start looking for a full size 9mm but cost is a big player here. What are your thoughts on a full sized 9mm and what model would you start looking at if money was an issue (quality pistol at a decent price). This may never pan out for me due to some weakness in my left hand which makes racking a tad bit difficult, but I will try a few before I make any final decisions. I sold my 9mm XDm because I had racking problems, but my hand has improved a bit.

What is your opinion? Remember I want reliability at a fair, inexpensive cost.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, there's certainly no shortage of quality price point full size 9's out there. Pick any brand and they've probably got one. Personally, if I had to pick something specific, I'd probably go for a Ruger SR9, smooth, reliable, and inexpensive, not to mention Ruger's stellar customer service.

EDIT: Should point put that I'm probably not the best judge of how easy a slide is to rack, I'm still young and have plenty of hand and arm strength.

Reactions: Leadfinger

·
Aim true !
10,330 Posts
I'll check and see how my SR9 racks vs my Canik. BRB,

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
the one full-size pistol i can definately recommend for reliability and easy slide racking......the older Ruger "P" series......

be it the p89, p93, or the p95..........no experience with the p94.

those Rugers are very affordable on the used market. MEC-GAR still builds good affordable new mags for them that run around $22 per 15 rd mag.

2nd choice is the beretta 92.......things are smooth like they are on ball bearings.

if you want an even easier rack.....go with one of these da/sa hammer guns and cock the hammer before you rack.....it makes it even easier.......that is something you can not do with a dao or striker system...

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
S&W M&P 2.0 with adjustable backstraps. Got mine on sale for $349

Reactions: Speed

·
Aim true !
10,330 Posts
Ok the Canik is easier than the SR9 P95 real easy with the hammer back. I did check my Taurus 92 too. It's pretty easy too.

Reactions: ArthAnsgar

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just added the Beretta full size APX 9mm to the collection. Was very reasonably priced, $349, 2 magazines and about $25 or so for extra mags. Decent fixed sights, but they are dove-tailed if you want something different. So far, inside 25 yards I am ok with the stock set.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just started thinking about this. I may start looking for a full size 9mm but cost is a big player here. What are your thoughts on a full sized 9mm and what model would you start looking at if money was an issue (quality pistol at a decent price). This may never pan out for me due to some weakness in my left hand which makes racking a tad bit difficult, but I will try a few before I make any final decisions. I sold my 9mm XDm because I had racking problems, but my hand has improved a bit.

What is your opinion? Remember I want reliability at a fair, inexpensive cost.
Nothing wrong with a full size 9,.45, pick a number. I've owned a few. The only full size I still own are some 1911 Governments and I'm getting ready to sell a couple of those. I just found them a bit hard to carry so at this point most of my current pistols are compact H&K's and 1911 commanders. The full size are not that much bigger, they just don't work for me.

·
Live Free
2,884 Posts
I tend to agree with Deputy. While I do not and have not owned a lot of full size 9’s, the old P95d I own is a reliable pistol and easy enough to rack that my wife can still manage it (she has a weak wrist due to an old injury). I taught her how to safely rack it pushing both arms together instead of trying to pull the slide, and it is quite easy for her. My FNX 9 is a bit harder to rack, and a bit more expensive too, but a great pistol. The M-9 is really the only other full size I have any experience with, and they seemed fairly easy to rack.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
I have a P series Ruger in 9mm which is a real delight to shoot. Easy slide to rack, etc.

My Beretta 92FS is also a great shooter, and you can get lighter springs for it if you like. A bit more pricey so look for used, of course.

--Wag--

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Me Sr 9c I have 2 full size mags and 2 10 rounders and it is my most gone to 9 mm

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Idk about full size but the XDE is much easier to rack by prob 40% (they claim 27% but depends on what you compare it to). I pulled mine straight out of the box and ran almost 400rds through it before cleaning it, no issues. $365 is what i paid. Its thinner but only holds 8rds, 9 with the extended mag. If you have hand troubles, id recomend a look at it.

·
Jesus Saves
7,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Idk about full size but the XDE is much easier to rack by prob 40% (they claim 27% but depends on what you compare it to). I pulled mine straight out of the box and ran almost 400rds through it before cleaning it, no issues. $365 is what i paid. Its thinner but only holds 8rds, 9 with the extended mag. If you have hand troubles, id recomend a look at it.
Thanks! I will. The XDE isn't a stryker fire, right?

Just started getting my wife medical bills in the mail......my desire to buy a 9mm has gone by the waste side.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Between striker and hammer fired, is one “better “? Seems that a hammer could get caught on clothing but would be a better way to decock.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That’s an age old question. It’s really preference. I like hammer fired and striker both but prefer a single/double hammer fired. That’s what the XDE is. The hammer is pretty small on that gun, you’d probably have to try to get it caught.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I saw in your vid that it has a decocker. Thanks for the video, well done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts