National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jockey On Ya Back
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
What would be the theoretical limit to cartridge length for a semi auto magazine fed pistol ((wherein the magazine is inserted into the grip)) with being to big for for proper control with a single hand? Also i know caliber affects capacity, but would it affect length as well?

i guess this is more in depth than i thought. i'm gonna run with it.

I want to know pretty much the limits in pistol/pistol ammo design. length and capacity limit of a .50 cartridge.

i heard the FN 5.7 had 28mm long cartridges, so i'm thinking the theoretical limit without having a ridiculous extended mag or un grip-able handle would be a 12.7x40mm ((total size)) double stack at 10 rounds per mag. would this be use-able or impossible? ((not talking about bullet weight or powder type/amount, or FPS. just wondering if something that size would fit in a pistol [if it existed] and be grip-able with one hand)) if it CAN be possible and feasable to use, it would make the ultimate auto pistol :25:, and an SMG too :machinegun:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Depends on how big your hands are, I suppose. As long as they have to stack horizontally, you aren't going to get much bigger than what is available now. There's no way in hell I could hold a .50 AE Desert Eagle with my hands, and that is shorter than what you are proposing.

·
1,796 Posts
If you're not concerned with the bullets performance then what's the point?? I own a glock 20 and its not small but that's how they made it to handle the 10mms pressures. Going bigger without increased ballistic performance doesn't make a lot of sense to me and if you bump up the pressures the gun has to be up to it which usually means heavier and bigger LOL. There is a grey area there but its filled with compromises IMO.

Reactions: DPM

·
Jockey On Ya Back
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just wanted to know how big PHYSICALLY it could be maximum, the ballistics come afterward, but my basic idea would be a 300-500gr Jacketed Hollow point with loads from subsonic to extreme ((1000fps to 2000fps))

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Well, you make one as big as you want, and we will try not to make any jokes about it. Honest.

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Well since we are talking theoretically... If you were to design the pistol from scratch there would not need to be any size limit to the cartridge it would chamber and fire. It would look goofy as hell but you could design a pistol to use a magazine that would hold 30-06 and still be able to grip the thing with your hand. All you would need to do is set the magazine up similar to the mag set up on the P90. The mag sits on the top of the gun not in the grip. Going that way the sky is the limit as far as size goes. How much damage it would do to your arm, how well the bullet would perform these are other issues.

·
1,796 Posts
Well, you make one as big as you want, and we will try not to make any jokes about it. Honest.

Lmao.... yeah I'm already working on a few.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Why the silly insistence on the magazine being inserted into the grip? Get a clue from the Mauser C96, then you can chamber your gun for any caliber you want, and design the perfect grip to handle it, with no compromising on size, angle or anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey what is the point of this, are you trying to theorise the most powerfull possible handeable pistol, as CMonster has stated, the reall practical limit is the 50 AE desert eagle or the 500 smith and wesson magnum, but since you have specified magazine fed, let's stick with a 7 inch barrel deseret eagle with a slightly thinner grip.

One thing people need to remember is that bigger is not the only way to make something more powerfull. In fact the most powerfull materials are super small (see Nanotech), the way to approach this is by materials and proppelants. Proppelants that generate far greater pressures than smokeless powder, and materials to withstand those pressures and temperatures (both for the gun components and the bullet) would allow you to retain the desert eagle size while doubling trippling or even quadrupling muzzle velocity.

For the purposes of recoil let's just aim for 1000 metres per second for now. We would need an integrated muzzle brake-suppressor hybrid (muzzle brake to reduce recoil and suppressor to counter-act the amplyfying qualities of the muzzle brake (this is by far the biggest problem I am encountering) For this sliding (hydraulic or gyroscopinc) shock absorbers at the back would be another way of approaching the redcoil.

Here ius the important bit relevant to your question:
Using a far more powerfull propellant means less is required, thus a shorter casing, thus a shorter cartridge, now if you match the amount of this new propellant to the amount of traditional powder used you can potentially quadruple the power of this gun. My point is shorter cartridges can actually be far more powerfull. This is of course me approaching this from a scientific point of view and a lot of complex equations.

Hope it helped.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You could do a bullpup design and put w/e grip you want on it. Not sure you'd want to one hand it, but you could. If you went with a revolver, look at Magnum Research's BFR, or S&W's X frame revolvers (460, 500 mag, etc.), if you wanted to go cheap look at the Taurus Raging Bull, I don't know every caliber they're chambered in off hand, but I do know that they come in .454, .460, and 500 mag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts