National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had at least 50 people come in and ask for this little piece. In total we have had 4 of them. Each one selling within hours.

I believe Kel-Tec is in a world of trouble.... This piece is on FIRE!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Yea, but.....if the Kel-tec keeps the price at the $270 range and the Ruger just keeps getting bidded up higher will the folks pay the extra bucks??

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Right now Kel-Tec is running full steam and is way behind on orders. They have plenty of work and I don't think they are to worried about Ruger. Maybe in the future but not right now.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Right now Kel-Tec is running full steam and is way behind on orders. They have plenty of work and I don't think they are to worried about Ruger. Maybe in the future but not right now.

You are correct just try to get your hands on the new PF-9 that they produce.

And.............if they are really the mfg of the new Ruger as others have said then Kel-tec is the real winner in this contest!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We can't get either the Kel-Tec P-3AT or the Ruger version from our wholesalers (we have a fairly small shop) without also ordering some of the lesser demanded pieces. These two are, by and far, the most requested pieces currently. I have and carry a P-3AT almost every day as a BUG - and I truly like it in that role. I can't imagine that the Ruger version can be much better, except for the manual slide hold open feature - which I believe Kel-Tec may have orginally intended to include in their design, as there is a small removable piece near the rear of the left slide rail where the Ruger slide lock is located.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
We can't get either the Kel-Tec P-338AT or the Ruger version from our wholesalers (we have a fairly small shop) without also ordering some of the lesser demanded pieces.
Interesting.

I managed Purchasing & Inventory for a $600 Million PC reseller, all the big hardware resellers (like IBM) operate the same way.

You sign up to buy $x of stuff, the popular items are always 'constrained,' and you end up buying crap your customers don't want and pray that you can rotate it out later.

You end up managing your vendors and not your business or customers. [sarcasm]Great way to make a living. [/sarcasm]

L

·
0 Posts
this is really frustrating for a new gun owner/enthusiest. you see several guns that look interesting but you can't buy them. why do they even advertise these things if they are unavailable? I know ruger has a good reputation but the two guns I would consider buying from them, the sp101 and this lcp are just not available. fortunately my immediate needs are met with smith and wesson and beretta. I think the best course of action is to he_ _ with them. I'll stick to the manufacturers that have better business than game playing bs.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
this is really frustrating for a new gun owner/enthusiest. you see several guns that look interesting but you can't buy them. why do they even advertise these things if they are unavailable? I know ruger has a good reputation but the two guns I would consider buying from them, the sp101 and this lcp are just not available. fortunately my immediate needs are met with smith and wesson and beretta. I think the best course of action is to he_ _ with them. I'll stick to the manufacturers that have better business than game playing bs.

This often happens when a mfg comes out with a new product and the public goes bonkers over it. Then it becomes scarce and the price goes way up. Best thing to do is just sit back and relax and wait until the rush is over and the availability problem is solved. The price will settle down to a fair level and maybe all the bugs will be worked out of the first wave of products sold.

Every time I rush to buy a new pistol and get in on the first bunch made there is a problem and a recall. That is a royal pain when you have to send the gun back to the factory for a modification.

I have the first generation Kel-tec P3AT and 32 without the new big, ugly external extractor fix that they did. Mine seem to work fine so far and I don't want to have to send them back to the factory for mods if I can avoid it.

Look at the Ruger 9mm that had a recall due to the pistol firing if dropped on its slide in a couple of instances. That recall has killed the sales of a sweet little pistol. Lets hope the new LCP 380 does not follow suite.

My point being its best to wait for a year or so when a new product is put on the market. You will get a better price and the bugs will be resolved.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
It is hard to wait though. I have held a LCP that I wanted but can't buy at the moment due to other guns on layaway. Ahhhh the torture of a $10 dollar itch with $5 to scratch with! I have heard of the prices varying wildly around here though. I can drive 10 minutes across town and see a $90 price change! Insane.

R

·
0 Posts
My dealer had about 60 orders on hand at the beginning of the gun's intro. They have filled all but about 10. They have had to buy lots of Rugers to do so but they have done it. And so far, all 50 have been recalled...Come on guys, it's a dead clone copy of the Kel-tec, but they are not recalling the Kel-tec. As for me, anything you can do with your LCP, I will do with my 642 Smith. And it has not been recalled, ever.

·
Firearms Instructor
14 Posts
I field tested a Kel-Tec P11.......couldnt get within 8 inches of the bullseye at 3 yards - what a piece of crap.

When KT starts polishing their feed ramps and trimming the plastic burrs off of the sights, they might stand a chance against the LCP...until then.......

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have range tested my Kel-Tek P3-AT several times - I have no problem hitting 8" steel dropping discs at 12 feet with each shot and at 18 ft - average 5 hits out of 6 shots. Considering the length of the barrel and the distance - not bad accuracy in my opinion (I've been shooting hand guns for 50 years, hundreds of them over that time period and I've seen some real junkers and some really poor accuracy pieces - even a couple S&Ws that wouldn shoot groups, just patterns.) Also, with the P3-AT 2nd Gen., I haven't had any failures to feed and only one failure to completely extract - stove pipe - in 200 rounds. A recent Guns & Ammo magazine article posed the Kel-Tec vs. Ruger vs. NAA vs. Cobra - all pocket .380s - the Kel-Tec 3-AT came in first on all the tester's score cards with regard to accuracy and trigger pull/feel. The Ruger LCP came in 2nd in those categories - but was rated as the best finished, then the NAA Guardian (much heavier in SS and heavier trigger pull), then last the Cobra Patriot (too big, to heavy, poor accuracy). Perhaps you got a bad P11, Proactive???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts