National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/s ... &item_num=

When I was at the range yesterday putting my "Baby" Desert Eagle thru it's paces a guy showed up with one of these. (S&W Scandium Frame .44 Mag.) We got to shooting the bull and he asked me if I wanted to try it. I said sure so we switched guns. He had Cor-Bon loads and I tried a cylinder full while he had at it with my "Baby" Eagle. Jesus Christ! I'm not shy to heavy recoiling handguns but this thing was terrible! My hand was numb after just 6 shots! The recoil was just horrible! I like a light carry piece as much as the next guy, but this borders on ridiculous. There was no way anyone could run 50 rounds of heavy stuff thru one of these things and hit anything. It's that bad. It's a beautifully made piece, but about as "practical" as some of Melanie's outfits! Nice to try, ONCE. Bill T.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A gun like that would be worthless to me. It could have value for a person back packing in bear or lion country. Most of the cats down here are the "bob" variety and rarely is seen a full grown honest lion. An occasional Mexican brown bear but they run faster than the wets when they see you. While I have some hand cannons for my Contender, it's not something I take to the range to play with. A 45ACP is enough for play time.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
One of the successes of the S&W Model 29 was the fact that it weighed a ton. If it was not for the mass of the frame, the 44 Mag would have not taken off as it did. Those scandium alloy frames are all purdy and so on, but when using a hand cannon you need weight to keep it under control.

I agree that it probably was designed with back packing in bear country in mind. But folks will not know that and think it will be a good defense weapon.

Well, it probably would be. If you don't hit the MZB with the first round, the flash and noise from one of those will probably give him a heart attack. :lol:

Sometimes gun makers do things that are just plain silly. Pawn shops are full of examples.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Maybe some 44spl would help the shoot-ability of that lightweight revolver, well maybe just a little. I'm sure that gun is one of those "carried a lot, shot a little" guns.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
red-rider said:
Maybe some 44spl would help the shoot-ability of that lightweight revolver, well maybe just a little. I'm sure that gun is one of those "carried a lot, shot a little" guns.

agreed. If you really want one, hang on a couple years. They wills tart popping up in the consignment section of the gun stores and pawn shops.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've personally always preferred the .41 Mag to the .44 Mag for a variety of reasons. That said, I jumped at the opportunity when Taurus started making their large-bore snubby series and got a 415. I came real close to getting it in titanium but thought that that would defeat the purpose of carrying a .41 in the first place. Damn glad I passed. I've talked to a couple of former owners of .41 titanium Taurii (both much larger dudes than me) and each said about the same thing you say of the S&W Scandium .44 Mag.

Fugeddaboudit!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I like the 44 special round and lot and find it fun to load and shoot. You can load it up to a nice level far short of the 44 mag power and have a top defensive round. For the big cats a 44 special cor-bon or hand load is all you need and will be far easier to control than the big 44 mag powerhouse rounds. That lightweight revolver is just the ticket for hot 44 spc ammo.

We tend to love the 500HP corvettes when a 300HP version will get the job done just fine. ;) ;)

G

·
I've got a SW J frame in .38 spl +p. Any caliber larger than that seems a bit out of line for a snubbie airweight. IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts