National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick one firearm and defend your honor.
Mine is the colt 1911, It has been through the superman test. It was the united states sidearm for 74 years before being replaced with the M9 (bad move). It got us through world war 1&2, the korean war the vietnam war, various conflics and is still seen in the military today. It is reliable, accurate, great ergonomics. The sidearm that wins my heart.
:D

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Gunny the Gun said:
Pick one firearm and defend your honor.
Mine is the colt 1911, It has been through the superman test. It was the united states sidearm for 74 years before being replaced with the M9 (bad move). It got us through world war 1&2, the korean war the vietnam war, various conflics and is still seen in the military today. It is reliable, accurate, great ergonomics. The sidearm that wins my heart.
:D
Can't and won't argue with you Gunny. That is the one that I trained on and that I own.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I'm in the 1911 Regiment. There is no other firearm that lends itself to easy customization. They can be in all flavors, from a homely battle rattle to a sleek and sexy race gun. There has been no gun like it since. Although, I am partial to the Browning High Power. But the High Power is just a 1911 that got shrunk in the laundry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My favourite handgun is my Glock 17. Reliable, accurate, high capacity, lightweight but easy to control and fits my hand like a glove. I really like my new FN HP, but it's just too small for me. I can shoot it alright but my grip's not as good as with the Glock. Besides, I prefer the simplicity of Glock-style pistols. Consistent trigger and NO safeties to worry about. And believe it or not, for me Glocks are some of the most beautiful pistols I know :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Entreri said:
My favourite handgun is my Glock 17. Reliable, accurate, high capacity, lightweight but easy to control and fits my hand like a glove. I really like my new FN HP, but it's just too small for me. I can shoot it alright but my grip's not as good as with the Glock. Besides, I prefer the simplicity of Glock-style pistols. Consistent trigger and NO safeties to worry about. And believe it or not, for me Glocks are some of the most beautiful pistols I know :eek:
I think the Glocks are ugly compared to the XDs or 1911s, What I do not like about them is the "no safety", You have more chance of shooting you self while pulling it out of a holster or shooting a loved one while clearing house, Also the trigger is left to be desired and a personal problem that they fit my hand odd. I want a gun to have some weight too it and not feel like a toy. But I do like the simplisticness of the take down and reassemble.

·
Registered
236 Posts
And that's the reason there's no "best" pistol. You for example don't like Glocks for the same reasons I love 'em.

You have more chance of shooting you self while pulling it out of a holster
If that's even a factor to consider for you, you should not carry a loaded gun in my opinion...

edited to add: that might sound a little harsh, what I meant to say is that if one trains enough with any pistol, the gun won't go off by accident. Besides the trigger pull is heavy / long enough to justify the lack of a safety.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Entreri said:
If that's even a factor to consider for you, you should not carry a loaded gun in my opinion...
Do you think the BG will wait for you to load a mag or rack the slide befor attacking you? ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
"Beautiful" and "glock" should never be used in the same sentance. I think that should be a new forum rule. That consistant trigger feels like a staplegun..consistantly..I dont mean to be hard on you, Entreri, but this IS the VS thread. For the matter XD triggers fell like stapleguns too. No way I'll ever believe a glock (or XD for that matter) can be accurate compared to a modern day 1911; not in a million years.

Entreri....It takes some guts to step into the line of fire of all these 1911 shooters...Kudos! :---

·
Registered
236 Posts
No way I'll ever believe a glock (or XD for that matter) can be accurate compared to a modern day 1911; not in a million years.
Expensive, tuned 1911s might be capable of a lot more accuracy (depending on the peson behind the trigger). But the tighter the gun, the less reliable they are. That's a fact. I know you will all defend your American wonder-gun, but I've seen high-end 1911s fail several times before. The "normal" ones might be reliable, but it's only a matter of training how accurate sombody can shoot them. It's easier to shoot a SA accurately, but with enough practice it can be done with a Glock too.
You can't argue that a Glock is more than combat accurate at at least 15 meters anyway. So that is a moot point. I for one am talking about combat/defence pitols, not bullseye-shooting.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Oh yes I can argue that, I've fired so many rounds through different 1911's, I honestly dont have to aim at distances of 10 ten 15 yards. take the sights off my gun, and i'll still make good hits at that distance. A few weeks ago, I shot till I was bored and started point shooting to change thing up, at 20 yards I was keeping hits centered horizontally while leaving a verticle string of hit on the cardboard target...NO LIE.. :---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Entreri said:
I for one am talking about combat/defence pitols, not bullseye-shooting.
For that I must argue, the 1911 has been proven in the trenches of WW1. The 1911 was also used to beat an enemy aside the head when out of ammo, and if I have to ever do that , I want something with weight to it, I am positive that would break the glock and not even kill the enemy.
(I.E. wiffle ball bat .vs aluminum bat)

·
Registered
236 Posts
For that I must argue, the 1911 has been proven in the trenches of WW1
We're not disagreeing here...I said that standard 1911s are as reliable as a something man-made can be, but you won't win bullseye matches with them.

And if I need to beat somebody with my Glock, it will still hurt. I'm strong enough to compensate the lesser weight :cool:

Oh yes I can argue that, I've fired so many rounds through different 1911's, I honestly dont have to aim at distances of 10 ten 15 yards. take the sights off my gun, and i'll still make good hits at that distance. A few weeks ago, I shot till I was bored and started point shooting to change thing up, at 20 yards I was keeping hits centered horizontally while leaving a verticle string of hit on the cardboard target...NO LIE..
That's pretty good shooting, nice for you. But a good marksman (not me with any gun though :( ) can do that just as well with a Glock or another gun that's not a 1911.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not to mension the world's top professional shooters choose the 1911 platform. I understand that there are some glock shooters in there, but look at what champions shoot...its a 1911 of some kind.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts