National Gun Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Colt National Match Deluxe O5870NMD Talo 1 of 250 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Now here's one that I think is a real Daisy!

Who can tell me more about what a Talo is, what it means, what are some differences? Note, it is a Series 80. Is this a "bad" thing?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I do like this one!

I went, I shot, I scored!

Yep, looks like I won an auction for one of these Huckleberrys! Yowser!

Now all she needs is a fine pair of smooth slim real Ivory Grips with Gold Rampant Colt Inlays!

·
Awesome
800 Posts
Talo is a Distributor. A BIG Distributor that moves a lot of product. So more than a few Gun Manufacturers do special "Talo Edition" versions of certain guns to be distributed by.... wait for it.... Talo.

They're usually fancied up versions of standard, or very popular guns. Always much higher in price than the original. But some are very nice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
DSCN0141.jpg DSCN0624.JPG
Talo is a Distributor. A BIG Distributor that moves a lot of product. So more than a few Gun Manufacturers do special "Talo Edition" versions of certain guns to be distributed by.... wait for it.... Talo.

They're usually fancied up versions of standard, or very popular guns. Always much higher in price than the original. But some are very nice.
Well, it looks like another added to these two daisys I own. The Nevada Frontier Scout has never been turned. And the King Cobra is an exceptional revolver, no regrets buying that one new.

The Colts keep piling up! :)

·
Rifleman1776
242 Posts
As he said, it's his opinion. we all have ours and most of them differs from his. I hate glocks i could write a page on how i hate them but some peoples will put their lives on he line with one i wouldn't.

I respect opinions
OK, thanks. I respect others opinions also, especially when they agree with mine. :cornut: Enneyhow, much of what I said was based on personal experience. I have a gunsmith friend who has had to rework countless 1911s out of the box to make them work satisfactorily. If they are as wonderful as it's fan suggest, I wonder why businesses like his, Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk and others exist. Not really debating. Must be like eating liver. You like it (I do) or it makes you sick. Maybe the real reason I don't like them is you can't put a flint in it for firing. Carry on. :25:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
OK, thanks. I respect others opinions also, especially when they agree with mine. :cornut: Enneyhow, much of what I said was based on personal experience. I have a gunsmith friend who has had to rework countless 1911s out of the box to make them work satisfactorily. If they are as wonderful as it's fan suggest, I wonder why businesses like his, Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk and others exist. Not really debating. Must be like eating liver. You like it (I do) or it makes you sick. Maybe the real reason I don't like them is you can't put a flint in it for firing. Carry on. :25:
I reckon a firearm is a tool, and there are many, and probably correct to say that one specific firearm will not be suitable for all uses and needs.

That's why it's good to have many of them I reckon! :wink:

Sort of like the old expression-saying, "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
(Or something like that) LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
I suspect in about another week or so, I'll have my new Colt-Talo Gold Cup National Match Deluxe in hand.

I'll of course be eager to test it, but don't wish to prematurely rush in haste, and forget, or neglect doing some basics. Such as a simple basic dis-assembly of Slide to clean, inspect, and lube, and to also determine and confirm what Recoil Spring of the supplied pair is indeed inside?

I'll no doubt start with the basic brass cased ammo, don't want nothing really "warm" at first to test. I'm thinking just the run of the mill cheapie Winchester FMJ from wally world for $20 should be fine as a test Round.

When she comes, I'll try to comment further, provide some real life pics of the Pistol, and if there's any unknowns I'm not sure of, I'll be sure to ask them, rather than to ignorantly assume.

It is a Series 80 Pistol, so I best start studying up on this particular model as much as I can. The more knowledge I know about this Pistol surely cannot be a bad thing.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,197 Posts
I'm just glad that we can still enjoy old outdated firearms that works like nothing else can. I for one would love to be able to enjoy a Tommy gun, these things were like the 1911 in a class by themselves, sadly laws made it so there's only a few left and almost no one can enjoy them. Maybe that's why so many peoples like the 1911's, cause it's a kick ass old gun, a classic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm just glad that we can still enjoy old outdated firearms that works like nothing else can. I for one would love to be able to enjoy a Tommy gun, these things were like the 1911 in a class by themselves, sadly laws made it so there's only a few left and almost no one can enjoy them. Maybe that's why so many peoples like the 1911's, cause it's a kick ass old gun, a classic. :thumbsup:
Yep, would love shooting a Thompson, and as well a BAR. Our real war time heros carried them, and as well our TV Land heros such as Sgt Saunders and Kirby in Combat.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
A Thompson is just FUN. I had an opportunity to buy one about 3 years back for $3,500. Kicking myself now for not jumping on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I'm been reading here and there this past week, visited sites here and there, such as Wilson Combat and others, and see all the various "candy" made for these Pistols.

Quite cool stuff, but I also gather from reading between the lines, especially with a pistol like this brand new Colt National Match I just acquired is "do not monkey with these guns, and the old adage most likely applies in any case, or firearm such as this, that if it isn't broke, don't fix it!"

In other words, the only things I'll be needing to do is properly care for it, properly clean and lube it, and properly feed it good high quality ammunition is all, and nothing more for a long, long time.

In my Colt Case, I can see the spare spring that has a slightly green tint to it at the bushing end. I gather this is the spring used for very light load Target Ammo?

I have yet to do a minor Slide disassembly, nor even read through the Colt Owner's Manual yet, but am assuming that the spring in there presently is the one that will need to be used for all around use.

That for the foreseeable future, I'm only going to shoot regular run of the mill Winchester White Box FMJ Hardball Ammo with a muzzle velocity of 835fps.

Today I'll probably sit down with the Owner's Manual and read.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
I did thumb through the Manual earlier. But as all will agree, there will be nothing like hands on experience with field stripping, and re-assembling this Pistol.

Dis-assembly looks relatively easy, and just have to remember don't squeeze the darn trigger and drop the Hammer forcibly with the Slide off the Pistol.

Re-assembly will be something I'll have to learn to do correctly, and again, book sometimes teach little, I'll be sure to watch a number of vids and try imprinting "Colt 1911" into my brain. I'm sure I'll be OK.

About all I want to further buy at this point, is some more good lubes to have on hand, and right now am torn between either purchasing a Bore Snake, or perhaps a nice synthetic 1-piece Cleaning Rod? (I'm considering such for the other Pistols I own as well)

My local Gun Shop is loaded to the gills with good high quality cleaning supplies. I'll probably stop there tomorrow morning.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts