National Gun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Yep, the legal 21 feet. So is a thrown rock. But, my point exactly. That is about all it's inherent accuracy is good for. Thanks for supporting my views.
My point is that the 1911 is an excellent close quarters firearm. It is a design that has withstood the test of time.
Maybe your hand is to small to hold it comfortably. Maybe you anticipate the recoil and twitch before the gun fires.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
What is disagree with. My opinion? It is mine, that is not arguable. What facts did I misstate? Old anachronism? Uncomfortable? Innacurate? Unreliable? Costs a fortune to make shoot right? Where did I go wrong?
Disagree with your statement.

Buy a gun for $1000 and spend $2000 to make it right.

That is an exaggeration to say the least.

I have a $500 1911 that I will go head to head with any gun you choose other than a 1911 and we will se who is on top.

The only gun close is a CZ and I have one of those 2.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
As he said, it's his opinion. we all have ours and most of them differs from his. I hate glocks i could write a page on how i hate them but some peoples will put their lives on he line with one i wouldn't.

I respect opinions

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Looking at the 2015 Colt Catalog, and looking at the "pair" of Gold Cup NM Pistols, (I see no others) they aren't the same? Why the hell did Colt do that?!

One is a Series 70 one is a Series 80, different Hammers, different Grip Frame, etc. That doesn't make one bit of sense to me.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
As he said, it's his opinion. we all have ours and most of them differs from his. I hate glocks i could write a page on how i hate them but some peoples will put their lives on he line with one i wouldn't.

I respect opinions
That was my immediate thought when I read the last 5 or so posts. I too disagree with the post saying one has to put thousands of dollars into a 1911 but the difference of opinions here is where I learn most of my information. I learn from people who disagree with me more than I do from someone who shares my opinion. If we all respect each others' intelligence here we can all learn. The main reason I join and follow gun forums is to learn from other people's experiences.

I am 100% with you on the dislike of Glocks. My "OPINION" is they are the biggest pieces of crap in the gun industry but that is just my opinion based on my experience. There are millions of happy Glock owners out there. All of them can't be wrong and me right. We just have different opinions. :mad2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
DSCN0142.jpg

We have an upcoming gun show locally this weekend, but in 13 years attending these shows, I've only ever bought one firearm, a Un-fired/Un-turned Colt Frontier Scout Nevada 1864-1964 Centennial in Case from a private seller.

Usually, you cannot get with 10' of any seller's guns because the prices on them will make you faint. Or laugh in funny disgust.

Again, while I'm no Colt 1911 expert, I've often wondered silently to myself "what the heck makes a 20-40 year old Colt 45, and often usually used used worth $1000-$1500 and up?

Why would, or should I buy one, when I can buy a brand new in box, with full factory warrantee Gold Cup Match from an authorized dealer for less?

Are sellers looking for 'fish with big gills" at these shows?

I gather it wouldn't matter if it was a 1 of 50 model, lavished with Gold Inlay, and engraving, never even racked the slide, in box, tags, the whole 9 yards, I take it out to the range, it fails in a dozen shots, I don't have a leg to stand on with a repair. You're "on your own".

Why isn't used guns like used audio equipment? Where's the depreciation?

Appears to me there's a lot of mystique, and mania over old Colts, and I think I'd rather have me a fresh gun from factory, rather than take chances with second hand sellers if I'm going to shell out some serious coin.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts

I respect opinions
Absolutely, I also respect others opinions. That is why my first response was just that I disagree.

Then he elaborated and asked why or what I disagreed with. I explained that it was a huge exaggeration. Then I gave my opinion.

I too hate Glocks. Why? Only because they are not accurate for me when shooting. I have owned 3. They are not junk guns. They shoot well for some.

Fact is because I learned to shoot on single actions probably plays a role in the fact as to why I hate double action triggers. The same is likely true for someone who learned on double action. This is why people feel very opinionated about their favorite guns. It is what you practice with that makes one

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just seen my local "Mayberry RFD "Po-leece Dept" shell out over $27K for all new Glocks, and then about another $8-9K for some other weapons. These coppers love a gun that goes "bang" 18 times, Plus 3 more Mags on Belts.

And every time you confront one, they're warning you "don't stand on this side of me", hands on their belts, joke!

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
^^^ :laughing: Okayyy! He sounds like my drunk brother in law:lol:

·
Awesome
800 Posts
One thing is becoming clearly evident personally, is the more I study and research 1911's, the more I'm finding how little I actually know.

Lots of confusion of the brands and models out there, and what makes each desirable, or less desirable.

And the same holds true with the Colt 1911, particularly the Gold Cup National Match, and of which were the most desireable, possessed good, or better internal parts consist, and design?

So Many models, Series 70, 80, I'm seeing 7+1 and 8+1 and again, confused, where is the additional round going? Is it a longer Grip Frame, or an extended Magazine?, they all look the same to me in some pics I've seen. I see the differences in thumb strap design, some upturned, some I believe are referred to as Beavertail, are downturned, differences in Triggers, Hammers.

Whether the newest GCM is superior to older models and why, I sure have lots of gaps in my knowledge, and conclude I better do a whole lot more studying and learning before I take the plunge into "1911-Land".

You don't have to drop $1000+ to have a good 1911. Check out the Rock Island Armory(RIA) 1911s. They can be had in the $500 range, and while not super tight, hand tuned Les Baers or Wilsons, they work just fine and shoot great. They'd make an excellent introduction to the 1911 world, allow you to learn the platform, and then decide if you need to buy a fancy more expensive one in the future.

·
Awesome
800 Posts
I only buy HI Points. They're modeled after 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag. :crazy:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I just seen my local "Mayberry RFD "Po-leece Dept" shell out over $27K for all new Glocks, and then about another $8-9K for some other weapons. These coppers love a gun that goes "bang" 18 times, Plus 3 more Mags on Belts.

And every time you confront one, they're warning you "don't stand on this side of me", hands on their belts, joke!
Oh My God, David Peel & The Lower East Side. Absolutely hysterical material from my younger days, much younger! Thanks for the flashback. :)

Sorry for going off topic but David Peel?

Ron

Ron

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
DSCN0224.jpg
We all seem to forget that the 1911 is the platform most semi-autos are fashioned after. John Browning was a brilliant man!
I can't argue with that, my Belgian Browning A5 Light 12 stands testament!

Here it is fitted with a Slug Barrel. Makes holes that make a 45 ACP look like 22's

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Oh My God, David Peel & The Lower East Side. Absolutely hysterical material from my younger days, much younger! Thanks for the flashback. :)

Sorry for going off topic but David Peel?

Ron

Ron
I once read him and John Lennon were good buddies, and collaborated on some tunes.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts