National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of pretty ones out there, but what would you folks think would be the winner?

The Colt Gold Cup, one of the Kimbers, Sig, Les Baer, Wilson, Dan Wesson, who?

I like the classic lines, don't care about rail mounts, want 5" barrel full sized, and hopefully keep things at around $2K, and preferably under if I can.

I want a pistol that will hold some value, performance and build quality world class,

I know how the name Colt has always been revered. Are they still a player to be seriously considered (Gold Cup Match?)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I gotta ask - do you want a piece of art that also shoots, or a daily shooter that also looks good? Not that I can help you with either. My 1911 is basic and a replica of what my Dad carried in WWII.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Dan Wesson or Les Baer would be my choices. And honestly I have been growing more fond of the Baer.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,041 Posts
I'd be proud to own any 1911 from Les Baer, Ed Brown, Carolina Arms, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom. There are probably a few more names I would add to the list, but I can't think of them at the moment.

·
Awesome
800 Posts
Out of those you listed, I'd go for a Les, an Ed, or a Wilson. Colt would be an option if I couldn't get any of the others first. I don't think I'd want a Kimber. Heard too many Kimber owners over the years complaining about unusually long break in periods before they would shoot right.

I love 1911s, but have never owned one of my own. I've had the itch to buy one for a while now, but just might hold off for another year or two until the GI Surplus ones hit. Would love to own one of those just for the history behind them.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
When I started looking for mine I looked at the ones you have listed. Beautiful to say the least. Just not for me. I wanted a1911 that would be a work horse not a beauty queen. I chose the RIA 1911. It is the one in my avatar pic. I paid under $450 for it NIB. I had the trigger worked on and changed the spring as well so, I have another $50.00 in it. It shoots very very nice I might add.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Certainly not trying to stick a pin in a thread I started, but looking at some of the models from Wilson, or Baer, one surely needs some "fat stacks" to play. I was at first thinking the Kimbers, and Colts were high priced. Now I'm not quite so sure?

I of course understand what some of the differences are, these uber priced pistols are custom hand built-assembled to better exacting tolerances, where the run of the mill Colts and Kimbers are "production" pistols. I also gather a more highly scrutinized selection of the highest quality parts made to enhance accuracy, reliability, and longevity.

More time and labor invested for one equates to more money spent, same with anything I guess. I see accuracy guarantees with the Wilsons and Baers, and of course won't somehow magically transform an old fart like me into some top competition shooter overnight.

I am probably correct that most who buy such very expensive pistols "graduate" to such a level, that they've had the rest, and now they want the best.

Of some of the pistols I've thought about, seem to like, and is in a more "sane" price category, is the Kimber Gold Match. Initially, I felt this was an overly expensive pistol, but perhaps in the realm of things, maybe not? Reckon that depends on how well the pistol holds up, not prone to failures-issues, shoots well, and stands the test of time?

I imagine none of them "appreciate" considerably in value as they are used over time, so that's not a consideration for any of them. But also imagine some hold their value better. (Probably the Baers-Wilsons)

I've read some mixed reviews and opinions of the Kimbers, some very good, and some not so good. I think reliability is of course paramount. Doesn't really matter how pretty a firearm would be, it then becomes worthless if it fails, or is plagued with reliability issues. Others say the Kimbers (or perhaps some of them) take a long time to properly settle down, break in, and shoot well.

Again, I'm no authority about such, and sometimes accounts can be misleading. I know end users can do a myriad of "dumb" things to firearms, then blame the manufacturer about any issues.

·
It's Just My 2¢
5,118 Posts
I just bought a Colt. Bud's $849 including shipping
I like it

I changed the grips.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks really nice Greg! Me likey very much! Either Grip choice looks great.

I'm thinking something similar, and had thought that Stainless Steel might be less prone to showing wear over time versus Blued.

The price also sounds very attractive. For the price of a Les Baer-Wilson, once could sure buy many other things, and a heck of a lot of ammo with the savings.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
My most accurate semi auto hanggun I own is my Kimber Super Ultra Carry. I also have a Springfield 1911 I like a lot.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
I am probably correct that most who buy such very expensive pistols "graduate" to such a level, that they've had the rest, and now they want the best.
I'd say so. Bear in mind, most of the benefits gained from using one of these 'higher priced' pistols are rarely noticed by the casual shooter.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I'd say so. Bear in mind, most of the benefits gained from using one of these 'higher priced' pistols are rarely noticed by the casual shooter.
I couldn't agree more. I bought a Wilson in a total impulse sale when I had a large business transaction close and rewarded myself with a gift. I shot it a lot for the first 3 months I had it and hardly ever shoot it now. The handguns I shoot most often are my FNX .40, XD Subcompact .40, GP 100 and Kimber Super Ultra Carry + which is my main carry gun. Other than the Kimber the others named were all $400-$600. The $3,000+ Wilson is usually only taken out when someone else wants to try it out.

In my opinion, the GP100 is the most fun to shoot but I have always been a revolver guy.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Most reasonably priced, mainstream handguns are capable of delivering higher degrees of accuracy than their owners can bring to the game.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most reasonably priced, mainstream handguns are capable of delivering higher degrees of accuracy than their owners can bring to the game.
I noticed that when I used the CC Instructor's Kimber .45 last weekend to qualify at the range. It was a dual colored Pistol, and am vague as to what it was? Didn't even get a straight answer from it's owner, the owner of the shop as to what it exactly was? And of course I never fired that gun, or any other Kimbers in my life.

But, except for one measly shot, I was one holing the target at 3 and 7 yards with ease. probably could've kept all shots on the paper with the pistol behind my back and guessing from the hip, and that ain't no exaggeration either.

One shot went about 2" wide off the bull, and I think that was because I started laughing while shooting when the instructor yelled to everyone else "He's one-holing the target folks!". LOL

And who knows, that Kimber might've had 6,000 rounds put through it, or more? But it shot sweet IMO, and could foresee backing up to 20 yards, and still shooting some really nice groups with more acclimation, and use of it. I liked it a lot.

Hence, my consideration of perhaps a Kimber, the Gold Match, or a similar quality pistol, the Colt Gold Cup Match as two that I'm currently on the fence about.

I surely don't wish to spend $3K to $5K on a pistol, I'd like coming away with a nice pistol, reliable, shoots well, one that I'm happy with all around, and is also a good purchase for my dollars spent. Fit and finish pleasing, accuracy, as good as I can muster on a good day. And a pistol I'm proud to own, that I have no regrets of purchasing, and will keep for many years.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,041 Posts
Several months ago, I stopped at the LGS to check out the Carolina Arms Group's 1911 "Trenton" that I heard about. It has been two or three years since I handled a 1911 'that nice'. Besides looking pretty, you could feel the quality in the Trenton. I know that doesn't make much sense, but the trigger was super smooth and super crisp with a 3# pull and absolute zero creep. The slide pulled back just as smooth and comfortable, with the same amount of even force from beginning to end. The fit and finish was perfect. It was like going from driving a Chevy Chevette all your life, to suddenly finding yourself behind the wheel of a Ferrari 458. The Trenton zoomed to the top of my bucket list. Like many of us here, I can't justify spending $3000-$5000 on a 1911, but if I ever hit the lottery, I'd buy a dozen of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've drooled over the Les Baer's for years, I used to make deliveries to his shop and got to see all of the models. Unfortunately, they are a bit out of my price range. I've been strongly considering the Springfield TRP. They are a local company and I CC an XD. Anyone have a strong opinion on these?

785366_L1.jpg

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
I love my Sig, never had a malfunction with it of any kind and it seems the more i shoot it the better it feels

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
I've been strongly considering the Springfield TRP. They are a local company and I CC an XD. Anyone have a strong opinion on these?
Springfield's TRP line of 1911 pistols are Springfield's best 1911s. I have yet to see one of these pistols that failed to perform as advertised. They are very good pistols and well worth the money spent.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts