National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
supposedly, a 12-gauge shotgun has a nominal bore diameter, 0.730", so that 12 lead balls, each and every such ball being the diameter of the said gun's bore, have a total avoirdupois weight of one pound....the number of lead balls totaling a pound is the basis for naming all shotgun gauges....smaller bores have larger gauge numeric values because the balls as a bore measuring standard get smaller in diameter and more numerous as one pound remains a constant value

back to our 0.730"-dia. lead ball which defines the 12-gauge....since 12 of these balls equals one pound, each ball in theory would have a weight of 1 1/3 ounces...we don't know the metallurgical standard of the lead balls so used to define a gun's bore diameter...we don't know their specific gravity or density...we don't know if they are hollow or solid...we don't know if they are pure lead, impure lead or alloys .... I find it tough to believe that a perfect sphere of solid pure cast lead at room temperature and having a diameter of nearly 3/4 inch would be as light as 1 1/3 ounces...it seems to me that a flat lead fishing weight about the diameter of a quarter is two ounces

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Well John, rifled slugs are hollow. Depending on the type of slug,IE a “Foster” slug in 12 ga Remington Slugger is 3/4 of an oz. it has rifling on the lead projectile ( there’s some doubt on its effectiveness on imparting spin ) but is shaped like a bottle cap of lead.
years ago there were these “pumpkin balls” and they were a ball of lead. A very poor projectile because it had to fit through the choke and it was heavy.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well John, rifled slugs are hollow. Depending on the type of slug,IE a “Foster” slug in 12 ga Remington Slugger is 3/4 of an oz. it has rifling on the lead projectile ( there’s some doubt on its effectiveness on imparting spin ) but is shaped like a bottle cap of lead.
years ago there were these “pumpkin balls” and they were a ball of lead. A very poor projectile because it had to fit through the choke and it was heavy.
Who is John? Somebody seems to have me confused with somebody else. Is my computer being spied upon? I also get the impression that I'm being followed a lot online too. Please be aware that cyber-stalking is a federal crime. https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/sentences-in-separate-cyberstalking-cases-103018

·
Aim true !
10,073 Posts
Ok if your not John. Your post are very similar to his postings. He post a lot of nonsense stuff. And it starts making trouble here. And he keeps coming back with new ID's At least your post are firearms related. But they are borderline for being suspect to cause arguments. His last round here. Really got under my skin. I ended up putting him on ignore. No one here is stalking anyone. And were all being tracked ''followed'' on line.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
And yet, 12 gauge guns can range from .729 to .750 in bore diameter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I used to fish a lot. I still do. Sold fishing tackle for a living too. A flat piece of lead the size of a quarter can absolutely weigh 2ozs, but it will be somewhat thicker than one. That is a misleading comparison. The whole question was.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
31 Posts
I used to fish a lot. I still do. Sold fishing tackle for a living too. A flat piece of lead the size of a quarter can absolutely weigh 2ozs, but it will be somewhat thicker than one. That is a misleading comparison. The whole question was.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
mr. casio didn't appear to ask any questions; he was in disbelief about how a lead ball that big could possibly be so light; I think he meant the diameter of a quarter

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
Shotgun manufacturers don't use the lead ball thing any more and haven't for a long time. It was state of the art at one time but was not a perfect measurement even at its inception. If I recall there were even some 1/2 gages. This was at a time when barrels were made by wrapping wire around a steel rod,heating and beating it with a hammer to weld it into a solid barrel. It was far from a perfect system.

While it may be interesting, there are countless "books" that explain the subject in far more detail than anyone could on here.

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,345 Posts
Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
No need to speculate, not to question the system of measurement, however arcane:

.730 pure lead ball is 586 grains. That's 1.3 ounces.

https://bersachat.com/forums/forum/black-powder/black-powder-chat/1704-round-ball-weight-diameter-to-grains
This right here. Being pure lead is almost certainly what they used and i just weighed a .735 ball(we'll call that close enough) weighs 1.385oz's. Multiply that by 12 and you get 16.296oz's, again we'll call that close enough. I have learned two things from this thread. First if the weight of my .70 caliber balls in ounces and second i won't post here...............

Reactions: LRDGCO
1 - 14 of 14 Posts