National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been said about the Second Amendment, and there are a lot of opinions on the subject, and there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning the amendment. Many think the amendment is great, and that it protects our right to keep and bear arms, others think the amendment should be done away with, others just don't know. So I think I will give it a try, and explain what the Second Amendment really means, and why we still need this important amendment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment is dealing with several issues:

1. A militia
2. security of a free State
3. The rights of the people
4. No infringement

To understand the Second Amendment, we must go back to the days in which it was written:
The Americans felt they were not being treated right my the British, and it came to a head at Concord, where the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker grabbed their muskets, shot, and powder and ran off to the bridge at Concord to defend freedom. If the people had not have had their muskets, shot, and powder where would have been the defense? The formers of the United States Constitution, and the Second Amendment realized that the backbone of our national defense are people, not the national military, they realized that the last resort of the defense of this nation are the citizen with his gun! Nothing has changed! Historically armies and governments have been unreliable, like the last Roman army that said they would be in the army, but they would not fight, and just stepped aside when the Gauls came to sack Rome.

Evil governments always want to disarm the people, if governments are made up of good people, and are not crooks, they have nothing to fear from the people. It is when governments become evil that they begin to fear the people, and for good reason. We the people are the "Militia", our right to keep and "bear" arms must not be infringed! Oh, yes, of course, keeping arms requires responsibility, unfortunately we have too many nuts running loose who are using guns to kill innocent people, nuts that we have created! And that is another story.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Hello

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia?
It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . .
Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."
- Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, VP of the United States 1813-1814, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789
United States Constitution Amendments - Article II

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not much has changed since 1791, the principles still hold true ...welcome to the group.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Welcome

This is part of what the gun grabbers do not understand. The reason The Butcher, the Baker, and the Candlestick maker ran off to that bridge in Concord and Lexington was because the British were under orders to seize the guns. The start of the first American Revolution was over gun control. The start of the second American Revolution could also be over gun control. My opinion is that by now... The founding fathers would have already been shooting.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Welcome from Michigun!

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
welcome from Missouri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts