National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
seriously........
i will find myself in the position of having only one useful arm in the near future.....hopefully a temporary thing but nevertheless it is on the rails heading this way. So there will be no "weak hand" available......for shooting support, loading, unloading.......zip, noda, as if i am literally the one-arm man.

everything as far as concealed carry will revolve around strong hand only usage for shooting, loading, reloading, clearing a malfunction, etc, etc.......

what handgun would you chose?

would you go for high capacity since reloading will be difficult?

would you go for a revolver to reduce any possibility of a limp wrist jam with an auto shooting one-handed?(have witnessed a lot of officers on the firing line having problems shooting one-handed drills)

would you go single action cocked and locked auto or a SAA type revolver for the lighter trigger and more precision compared to one-handed DA trigger manipulation?....and throw a big caliber?......the rehashing of the big bullet vs capacity arguments of old...

the fastest reload will be a 2nd gun so the little 25 acp will be in the back pocket.....but what of the primary?

For the immediate future, i will stay with the ruger LCR loaded with the 32 h&r rounds...it gives me that 6th shot and mild recoil compared to the 5 shot 38/357....but will this be justification to get an LCRx to be able to shoot single action as well............notice i said "justification" and not a necessity....as in an excuse to buy another gun...:lol:

what would you chose if you suddenly became the one-arm man?

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,969 Posts
I would stay with the firearm I currently carry and with which I am most accustomed... a Ruger LCR chambered in .38 Special.

·
Super Moderator
11,359 Posts
Shoot what you know. I wouldn't change to a different firearm, but you may have to do some new training drills.

--Wag--

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,336 Posts
Have you thought about carrying a second pistol, aka, a NY reload?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd likely stick with what I have now. If I changed anything, I would replace (or supplement) my spare mag with a backup gun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Find and watch videos of training one handed shooting and weak hand shooting and you will be amazed at what can be done. Military/CIA/FBI/ films available.

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
I think i would stick with a semi and use the biggest mag you can use for the gun(legally of course). I have seen some guys dump mags, lay the gun on the slide and jam another mag in quick and hit the slide release or even use the push on something method if the slide is closed fairly quickly. I think it would be easier than trying to fumble with a speed loader and having the cylinder possibly moving around. Having a second gun would also be a good idea.

I'm guessing you're having some surgery on your arm or shoulder? If so hopefully you heal quickly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'd be sticking with the Kimber K6.

Simple, well made, strong, with a wide variety of load options on the store shelf.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the NY reload of a 2nd gun is a given........

and i believe myself to be proficient with one-hand point shooting for close range.....what bugs the heck out of me is my own standards for longer distance.....out to 25 yards. That is not a problem with a 2-hand hold with my snubs and the dao triggers....

i do see 15 to 25 yards as a potential problem with one hand and a dao snub....i have never practiced such longer distance with one hand.

guess i had best get to practicing. The SA capability of a defensive revolver i have rarely used......it was frowned upon in the academy and on the quals line as a crutch, bad habit, and a liability.......

if my one-hand dao work is not up to distance standards.....well, it may be time to cheat......

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
14,233 Posts
Ruger SP101 357 Mag.

Alan

·
AZHerper
3,746 Posts
I'm sorry that you're having a serious problem. I know how you feel. From CTS and surgeries, I've lost all of my grip strength and can't even rack semi-autos. However, I have loaded my .357 revolvers with 38 SPL +P's to make them easier to control. Many years ago, I used to shoot 1911's with one hand and I did very well as I bet that you will. Doesn't feel as solid as two-handed stances but I'm sure that you'll get used to it. However, it's my fervent wish that whatever happened to your arm gets better. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Part of me would tell you to stick to revolvers, especially if jamming may be an issue with no support hand.
Also racking could be problematic.
A lot will have to do with how much strength do you have in your strong hand?
If you are getting up there in years and arm strength is diminishing, or if you are very strong.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
One arm that does raise new variables I never considered.. Thus being said I would stick with my full size 10+ magazines as reloading would be difficult I hope there would be less of it to do. maybe additional mags for my LCP .380 back up that are already loaded. My FNX .40 primary would also have 1 spare magazine. Nothing against a revolver a semi auto would be a little easier on a reload

1 - 13 of 13 Posts