National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s like asking if you like Ford or Chevy…or Nissan!

I have been spending a good part of the afternoon searching for the answer. I’m not new to rifles but I haven’t had a lever-action since my first rifle, a Marlin 39A. That rifle is long gone—but now I’m hankering’ for another lever-action and one larger than the .22lr.

Lever-actions appear to be finicky, from what I’m reading. Faulty feed ramps in need of polishing, cheaply made triggers, and complexity of design plague many. So, what I’m asking is what make and model, new or used, American or not, is supreme in simplicity, user friendly, and dead nuts reliable?

Thank you. Really looking forward to your answers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have an older Winchester Model 94 Scout chambered in .44 Magnum.
I've been using it for whitetail but only while still hunting in Northern Minnesota.
My #3 Grandson is going to be its next owner. With his young eyes he is a better shot with it than I am.
I've never had any feed/fire/extraction problems what so ever It Prefers 240 gr. for accuracy but it eats everything.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'll agree with the Winchester model 94. I had it in .32 Special, saddle carbine. Never had a problem with it. Actually, I had one problem, I left it at my folks house when I left home to get on with life and my brother sold it. Don't know how much he got for it or when he did it. He's passed so I'll never know.

·
Registered
841 Posts

I have been spending a good part of the afternoon searching for the answer. I’m not new to rifles but I haven’t had a lever-action since my first rifle, a Marlin 39A. That rifle is long gone—but now I’m hankering’ for another lever-action and one larger than the .22lr.

Lever-actions appear to be finicky, from what I’m reading. Faulty feed ramps in need of polishing, cheaply made triggers, and complexity of design plague many. So, what I’m asking is what make and model, new or used, American or not, is supreme in simplicity, user friendly, and dead nuts reliable?

I have a Golden Model 39M, Marlin bought new in the 70's and it works like a charm. I'll probably never sell it. It's a well made tack driver.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,594 Posts
Only lever guns I own are Henrys. I got 10 here and they all work pretty good. Can be a little stiff new. Had to break in a few, get the action loosened up on a couple but a little oil and a few magazines full of ammo usually does the trick. Haven’t had any issues since. Got .17hmr, couple .22’s, 22 mag, 327, 357, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt and 30-30.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Henry Made in the USA has the best warranty of any lever action gun a lifetime warranty new or used. I have 3 of them. It all depends on what you are willing to spend too. There is nothing wrong with Marlin, Winchester, Savage, Mossburg and others it is all about the flavor like tooth paste. I also own a Big Horn Armory Model 89 .500 S&W as they are only the current makers of that caliber.

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
From my experience most lever gun problems can be attributed to 3 different problems. One is ammo that is too long for the gun which is mainly only a concern if you reload. Short stroking the action and moving the action too slow. Most lever guns seem to work better with a more rapid use of the lever. I have a couple of Winchesters, several Marlin's and several Henry's and very rarely do I encounter any problems If I follow the rules above. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having feed ramp issues on any brand lever gun. That's usually a problem you find in semi auto's.

Reactions: Popeye and Philmo11

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll throw in something different. Look at what SASS shooters use, a good many use Winchester or uberitis because they work, last and can be slicked up like butter. I have a ubertiti 1873 in .357, never an issue. I think most major brands will work fine but if you plan to run it hard, I would stay away from Rossi. If you just want to plink, get whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I cannot agree a Henry. 22 is silky or butter smooth. Mine is kind of hard and rough, not like my slicked up ubertti which you can run with your pinky. It used to be you could not short stroke a Henry but I've heard of some doing it now. They are very accurate though but you really need to make sure you run the entire stroke or jams happen.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,594 Posts
Henry’s get better with use. .22 in general is just dirty. You need to break in a Henry much like any other all metal gun that’s good and tight. Frequent cleaning and oil up front. They will loosen up. They aren’t all made equal either. Can’t expect the cheapest Henry to run as smooth as the higher end ones. I’ve had a Henry Classic .22 here for a couple months and it’s not a comparison to the Golden Boys and certainly not a comparison to the brass Big Boys. Henry makes a solid lever gun or I wouldn’t spend the thousands I have on them.

I had a couple Rossi .22’s here and both jammed pretty good at some point with a round caught up in the action. Both jammed up the same way with the round actually wedged in the action. I have, personally, yet to have a jam like that in a Henry. The worst I think I’ve seen in a Henry is the rounds nose down when the my are brand new. It will work out of it if you do your part.

I like Marlins but have yet to own one. Shot a few but they always end up on the back burner. I’d like to have an 1895 and a 336 for the collection.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Almost anything that shoots the 22LR is going to jam or not feed now and then. 22LR ammo varies tremendously in quality, bullet type and power. Not all guns like everything made. Just my experience in shooting many brands and types of 22LRs.

·
Genius in Training
602 Posts
Lever guns are far from my area of expertise but I think as long as you don’t short shuck the action they all seem to work good in my experience. Marlin, a couple Henrys, whatever other odds and ends I’ve shot. All seem to run good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts