National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guns are my favorite hobby. Something about the mechanics, the beauty, and the exhilaration of shooting gets me. I’m a young guy (18) and every time I go to a range, gun show, or shop I feel that people talk down to me like I know nothing about guns. This is so frustrating! I’ve had people try and explain to me what Semi Auto meant, what a Garand and 1911 is, and other stupid things like that. Why do you guys think we have this issue, and how to we make it stop?

Also fudds really hate young shooters with a passion and all assume we are tactical wannabies who mag dump just to create noise. I’ve had so many fudds be rude to me at the range I can’t even keep track. One tried to get the manager to remove me as I was “mag dumping” my friends 10/22 and “creating a disturbance“ even though I was on the other side of the range.....I don’t think fudds can be cured.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
Guns are my favorite hobby. Something about the mechanics, the beauty, and the exhilaration of shooting gets me. I’m a young guy (18) and every time I go to a range, gun show, or shop I feel that people talk down to me like I know nothing about guns. This is so frustrating! I’ve had people try and explain to me what Semi Auto meant, what a Garand and 1911 is, and other stupid things like that. Why do you guys think we have this issue, and how to we make it stop?

Also fudds really hate young shooters with a passion and all assume we are tactical wannabies who mag dump just to create noise. I’ve had so many fudds be rude to me at the range I can’t even keep track. One tried to get the manager to remove me as I was “mag dumping” my friends 10/22 and “creating a disturbance“ even though I was on the other side of the range.....I don’t think fudds can be cured.
Guns are not my favorite hobby, as they are with you, they are my hobby and much more. I have been around guns since I was 14. I have shot more different calibers than I care to write down, and I have owned over the years more than 70 different firearms, and I have reloaded for some 25 different calibers over the years. Yet I find there are always more things to learn and interesting people who know things about guns that I never had known; I am always learning! Lots of great folks here at NGF that I have gleaned a lot of truth and info from in the three short years I have been here. When I read your post(s) I get a sense that you already know all that is worthwhile knowing and I suspect the people you refer to as ‘fudds’ get the same sense from you, almost like you got a chip on your shoulder and out to prove how good/smart you are. Experienced shooters enjoy talking about their guns and experiences they have had, and there are many who revere to a degree the old battle rifles and steel semi auto handguns such as the time proven 1911 and the CZ75. Some folks are enamored with Glocks and the likes of striker fired guns and yet others are AR lovers. And some love their revolvers! I happen to like most all, but to a much less degree poly striker fired guns. These seasoned shooters enjoy helping newer shooters and sharing their experiences, and often will share all they know and let newer shooters experience some of their firearms too, if that newer shooter is at least reasonably respectful and mindful of basic firearms safety.
A couple years ago I helped a young man learn to reload so as to have superior ammunition for his rifle to go on a prairie dog hunt with his dad. He was younger than you. By the time we were done, he was shooting 1/2” groups at 100 yards fairly proficiently with a Savage Axis II and his own ammo. With a few tips, that he gladly received, he went from being a 2moa shooter to a 1/2 moa shooter. When we started out I explained to him that he needed to respect my rules and methods with reloading on my equipment and respect the basic firearms safety. He had no problem at all with that.
If you met me you would probably consider me one of your “fudds,” and i don’t really care too much. But my point is that this “fudd“ has invested a lot of time in young shooters to help them get better at what they do and hopefully enjoy shooting sports like I do, and know the value of a gun for protection and hunting, and to value our 2nd amendment as the treasure it is.
One last thought for you; the only people I am hard on at the range are people who are careless and thus dangerous; people who disregard basic gun safety. People want to do Mag dumps? Go for it! I have on occasion done likewise, especially testing out a new firearm. Besides, most folks who do a lot of mag dumps leave brass behind for me...

BTW, the young man I taught to reload outshot his Dad while they were out on the prairie dog hunt...Dad was exceedingly pleased!

· RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,534 Posts
When I refer to mag dump it means 5 shots in a 10/22 every minute
So why would you even call this a "mag dump" I can shoot faster than that with my Chiappa little badger and I have to open it, pull out the empty shell, stick a new round in, close it aim and shoot THAT's 12 seconds between shots (5 shots a minute), Jerry Miculek does mag dump 15 rounds in 3 seconds. I think your story is a little wonky.

· Registered
3,573 Posts
When I was young and first learning about shooting my teachers were all WW2 vets and as my dad was a cop, his cop friends. I listened, kept my mouth shut except to ask good thoughtful questions. I did not act like i knew it all. These men taught me well and I showed my appreciation by acting in a respectful manner and showing interest in what they had to say.
I have taught many a young man in my years as a scout leader and my own two sons ant some of their friends.
Most were respectful and listened. But some gave me the impression that i was too old to teach them anything. They learned their gun handling from movies. Those I stayed away from.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
its not up to us to educate other gun owners about your perceived problems.......the way you conduct yourself by words, actions, and examples are the best tool you have to earn respect and make your problems disappear.

· AZHerper
6,324 Posts
Guns are not my favorite hobby, as they are with you, they are my hobby and much more. I have been around guns since I was 14. I have shot more different calibers than I care to write down, and I have owned over the years more than 70 different firearms, and I have reloaded for some 25 different calibers over the years. Yet I find there are always more things to learn and interesting people who know things about guns that I never had known; I am always learning! Lots of great folks here at NGF that I have gleaned a lot of truth and info from in the three short years I have been here. When I read your post(s) I get a sense that you already know all that is worthwhile knowing and I suspect the people you refer to as ‘fudds’ get the same sense from you, almost like you got a chip on your shoulder and out to prove how good/smart you are. Experienced shooters enjoy talking about their guns and experiences they have had, and there are many who revere to a degree the old battle rifles and steel semi auto handguns such as the time proven 1911 and the CZ75. Some folks are enamored with Glocks and the likes of striker fired guns and yet others are AR lovers. And some love their revolvers! I happen to like most all, but to a much less degree poly striker fired guns. These seasoned shooters enjoy helping newer shooters and sharing their experiences, and often will share all they know and let newer shooters experience some of their firearms too, if that newer shooter is at least reasonably respectful and mindful of basic firearms safety.
A couple years ago I helped a young man learn to reload so as to have superior ammunition for his rifle to go on a prairie dog hunt with his dad. He was younger than you. By the time we were done, he was shooting 1/2” groups at 100 yards fairly proficiently with a Savage Axis II and his own ammo. With a few tips, that he gladly received, he went from being a 2moa shooter to a 1/2 moa shooter. When we started out I explained to him that he needed to respect my rules and methods with reloading on my equipment and respect the basic firearms safety. He had no problem at all with that.
If you met me you would probably consider me one of your “fudds,” and i don’t really care too much. But my point is that this “fudd“ has invested a lot of time in young shooters to help them get better at what they do and hopefully enjoy shooting sports like I do, and know the value of a gun for protection and hunting, and to value our 2nd amendment as the treasure it is.
One last thought for you; the only people I am hard on at the range are people who are careless and thus dangerous; people who disregard basic gun safety. People want to do Mag dumps? Go for it! I have on occasion done likewise, especially testing out a new firearm. Besides, most folks who do a lot of mag dumps leave brass behind for me...

BTW, the young man I taught to reload outshot his Dad while they were out on the prairie dog hunt...Dad was exceedingly pleased!
Excellent post! This kid needs to take a long look in a mirror!

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,173 Posts
I have kids on both sides of the OP. ( 17 and 19 year old boys) They are my sons and I love them both more than life itself. They both have a chip on their shoulder and can be too cocky for their own good at times. It's the age.
I was a complete punk at that age as well.

Humility and being humble doesn't even register with that age group. They do however eventually figure it out.

I love this saying.... "when I was 18 I was amazed at how stupid my parents were, when I turned 23 I was amazed at how smart my parents got in 5 years."

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Young Shooter, I may have bumped my head as I scrolled through. Jist was you can not afford guns or ammo as both are need for shooting you have neither How do you shoot? Thumb/fore finger yelling bang? be ok for say living room, bedroom. Now if done at a range one might think odd fellow and call for the guys in the clean white coats armed with love me jacket, to "Help" with your issue hahahahahahahahahahahaah

· Registered
1,944 Posts
Stationed on subs in Charleston, SC while in the USN, a bunch of us off the boat had to qualify on the M-14 for nuke weapons security guard. Name of the guy running the range, and I kid you not, was "U.S. Navey", his uniform was immaculate and he lived to run the rifle range, I believe he was a Boatswain Mate 2nd Class. I'm on the firing line along with 15 or so other guys and we had 10 shots to shoot slow fire over a 10 minute period. The targets were simulated 200 yard silhouettes at something like 50 yards actual distance, we were shooting standing, off hand. Well, the M14 is heavy as heck to shoot off hand and I was getting tired of holding the rifle so I took all 10 shots quickly with a few seconds of aiming between shots and finished my string before anyone else. Navey, the rangemaster comes running over to me as soon as I was done and yelled "56 SECONDS, YOU HAD 10 MINUTES TO SHOOT 10 SHOTS AND YOU DID IT IN 56 SECONDS!!!". I looked at him and said "So what, what difference does it make as long as I hit the target?". He goes storming off. My good friend Chuck was shooting just to my left, he sees me getting yelled at so he places the safety on and puts the rifle butt on his hip in rest position and stands there for a bit then finishes shooting. As soon as he's done Navey comes running over and yells "YOU HAD 10 MINUTES FOR 10 SHOTS AND TOOK ALL YOURS IN 1 MINUTE 56 SECONDS!!" Chuck looked at him, grinned and said "And I took a break too".
Guy stormed off without saying another word.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.