National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering this revolver if i can find it for less than $450-. It is a revolver that comes with a 3 or 6 inch barrel (4inch?) and can load .410 shotshells and/or .45 Long Colt. Here is why I'm considering it.
I like to go rabbit hunting and such when I'm out on the farm, Usually i'll be carrying my 20 guage pump. If I have a deer tag, and see a deer up close while rabbit hunting (has happened many times, once with a possible 10 pt buck) , I could use the judge and send a .410 slug or .45 round his way. I think it could be a good gun to take fishing in case i see snakes or a black bear. The farm i hunt on is around Ft. Smith in western AR, so there are tons of armadillos and I usually kill them on sight, you know why if you or your cattle have ever tripped on one of their holes. It seems like it would be a great self defense tool. Nobody can deny its ability to stop a car jacker, and I live in KC so I can not say it will never happen to me. Would it be good as a secondary home defense gun? Right now the 20 guage is my primary, and a .40 S/W is the 2ndary (in case the shotgun is unloaded or out of reach and i get surprised). I imagine the spread of the Taurus when loaded with #4 or buckshot would be sufficient to pepper anyone coming through the door within 10 feet. Would the penetration on such a short barrel be good enough? would it be a good piece to carry on me when I'm in the city? Sounds like it can be used to hunt just about anything from deer and smaller if you're within 20 yards. I've heard good things and bad things about the judge, but I like the fact it can be a powerfull pistol and close range shotgun at the same time. What about a skeet/trap gun I want to go to the range with my dad and make him think its just a .45 and place bets on me hitting the clay >=), course i'd give the money back though. Just want to know if its versatility is worth the $. Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

These posted awhile back. I keep it by my bedside as my primary defense, my Mossbery AimPro LE pump is underneath the bed.
The .410 is a 2 1/2, the longest it'll hold, the pix show it with #4 shot. That is for blinding an intruder, the next 4 are CorBon 230gr.
Accuracy of the pistol is so-so, it's not a hunting gun but good enough at 25 yds to down a deer. Since you can only use the 2 1/2 .410 you're limited to 00 buck (3 pelets) slug (why bother, use a .45 round), #4 shot, #6 shot , 8, 8 1/2 & 9. I've never tried anything but the #4.
That being said, I have two of them, the bright chrome and a blue. The chrome came as a deal, I have $400 in it. Since it's been fired I would sell it delivered for $375 if you're interested. You can check my feedback- I buy and sell on GunBroker and Auction Arms as whompuss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long was the barrel on the gun you shot the plates with, and how far away were you? Also how much beforehand practice did you have with the judge you used? Sorry for all the questions but I don't have any to try out before buying one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray40cal said:
How long was the barrel on the gun you shot the plates with, and how far away were you? Also how much beforehand practice did you have with the judge you used? Sorry for all the questions but I don't have any to try out before buying one.
The Judge pictured has the 3" bbl. The only prelimary shooting was to blast the Haloween pumpkins on the burn pile. The range of the targets pictured is what I consider self defense range = 8 yards. The #4 shot won't be effective beyond that because of the short bbl.
If it ever stops raining I'll fire all 5 with the CorBon at 25 yds and post results. It is reasonable to assume that the long bbl version will give better results. I've never shot a long bbl, both of mine are the 3".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems the Judge has an identical twin called the Tracker. I swear they look like the exact same thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ray40cal said:
It seems the Judge has an identical twin called the Tracker. I swear they look like the exact same thing.

I think the only difference is that the Tracker is titanium.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
It seems like the rifling would spin the shot column and cause it to spread pretty quickly. Great for up close but not for hunting.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have 2 Bond Arms derringers that shoot 45/410. They are a lot of fun and would be hell on snakes and stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts