National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Intratec TEC-9 is a blowback-operated, semi-automatic 9x19mm Parabellum caliber firearm, classified by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms as a handgun. It is made of inexpensive molded polymer and stamped steel parts. Magazines holding 10-, 20-, 32-, 36- and upwards of 50-round capacities are available. There are three different models, all of which are commonly referred to as the TEC-9, although only one model was actually sold under that name.

The TEC-9 was originally designed by Swedish company Interdynamic AB of Stockholm as the MP-9, intended as a cheap submachine gun based on the Carl Gustaf M/45 for military applications. Interdynamic was unable to acquire interest among governments, and the MP-9 never entered production. Unwilling to abandon the design, Interdynamic set up a U.S. subsidiary to market a semiautomatic version of the handgun to civilians. The MP-9 was redesigned by George Kellgren, and became the model KG-9, which represents the initials of the firearm's designers, George Kellgren and Carlos Garcia.

From its submachine gun heritage, the original TEC-9, model KG-9, featured an open bolt design which made it relatively easy to convert illegally to a fully automatic submachine gun. Criminals soon discovered this fact and the TEC-9 became associated in the public's mind with gang violence, especially from drive-by shootings.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) responded in 1982 by forcing Interdynamic — by then known as Intratec — to convert the design to a closed-bolt action that would be harder to make fully automatic. The closed-bolt model was designated the KG-99 and was marketed at first as the TEC-9 and later as the TEC-DC9. The fearsome reputation of the TEC-9 kept its popularity high among criminals even though few if any were able to convert the TEC-DC9 to full auto.

The TEC-9 and TEC-DC9 variants were listed by name in the 19 firearms banned by name by the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. [1] This ban caused the cessation of their manufacture, and forced Intratec to introduce a newer model called the AB-10 (for "After Ban") that lacked a barrel shroud and threaded muzzle.

The TEC-DC9 variant was among the weapons used by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold in the 1999 Columbine High School Massacre. [2] Two years after Columbine, in 2001, Intratec went out of business and the AB-10 model production ceased.

The use of the TEC-DC9 at Columbine in April 1999 also led California to amend its 1989 Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act (AWCA) later the same year, effective January 2000, to ban firearms having newly-introduced firearm features used at Columbine (e.g., pistols with barrel shrouds, a safety device).

Intratec
Kel-Tec George Kellgren's current company.
Silveira v. Lockyer a court case involving California's Assault Weapons Control Act amendment of 1999, partially a result of the use of a TEC-DC9 at Columbine

G

·
My #1 son was working third shift at a 24/7 convenience when one of them was put in his face at 06:30. He gave the dude all the $$, got a make on the plates and had a good ID for the cops.
Long before the cops came the BG was trying to get on the freeway to make good his escape. Just then Bubba, in his 4WD Silverado, pulls out of Dunkin Donuts with his creme filled and a styro of hot coffee on the dash. So's not to turn over the coffee Bubba is goin real slow. BG starts blowin the horn and flashing the lights to speed Bubba up.
As happens in JawJa, Bubba doesn't speed up but gets pizzed. He stops on the ramp and gets out to give the BG a lesson in manners. BG sprays all 30 rounds at Bubba, only hitting him one time- non fatal.
BG then drives over the curb and is clocked going 90 in a 55 within a mile. Facing foreign plates and blacked out windows the LE makes a good call and gets backup. Surrounded by three LE vehicles, BG gives it up and throws his Tech-9 outta the window, complete with a fresh 30 round mag.
Like always, don't matter about the fire power, if you don't hit your target a bazooka won't do any good.

BG is serving 30 years as a guest of the JawJa Dept of Corrections. :i: :i:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
whompuss said:
Is it just legend, or does the GA Dept of Corrections still make Joe Arpaio look like a pussycat?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
whompuss said:
Like always, don't matter about the fire power, if you don't hit your target a bazooka won't do any good.
Funny, as I was reading Sig's post I was thinking that "spray and pray" is useless, and that I would always prefer a quality handgun to one of those POS things.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glock27Bill said:
whompuss said:
Funny, as I was reading Sig's post I was thinking that "spray and pray" is useless, and that I would always prefer a quality handgun to one of those POS things.

Those guns are only good when a wall of Zombies are coming at you and the range is close!!!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Roger that, Sig. They're crap. Still. Sold one a few months ago and I checked it out pretty carefully before customer picked it up. Jeez...I think I've seen better craftsmanship in Seventh Grade shop projects.

G

·
gunrnr said:
whompuss said:
Is it just legend, or does the GA Dept of Corrections still make Joe Arpaio look like a pussycat?
The Georgia Dept of Corrections prides itself on helping inmates do "hard time" They pair pitchers with catchers for the bad boys.
Not official policy, just seems to work out that way.
:eek: ;)

G

·
Shot Jam-O-Matic Tec-9 about a year ago.

Seems every mag had one or two failures to feed/eject - made my Bulgarian SLR 101-S to really stand out.

Anybody else have a bad experience with Tec-9?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Funny you mention it, JD, I don't stock them, but I do occasionally receive them for customers who purchase them on the internet. The last one I received, brand new, malfunctioned for its owner right out of the box. The buyer asked if I could fix it. He's a friend, so I could kid with him, and I told him "Hell, I don't even like to have them in my safe, I damn sure don't want to work on the POS!" He laughed but I think he got my drift. Sorry, call me a gun snob, but they are crap!

G

·
I had a friend with a tech 9 that when he brought it in the house he had a full 30 round mag in it with one in the tube he tossed it down on the coffee table and the dain thing went auto unloading the whole mag. :eek: The cops got called and he was taken in cause his FOID for having a gun had expired by 4 days All in all no one was hurt but I don't trust them :roll:

G

·
Oh man. Tech 9. I am not happy with Tech 9s. They are just junk. Jam-o-matics as someone eloquently put it. I had that same problem. Just crushed the brass so it couldn't be reloaded anymore. Its not at all pleasant to shoot. The sights are rudimentary and not very pleasant either. I took the one I have out to the range the other day for the first time shooting it, a semi auto model, and did some plinking. Probly 1 in every 5 or 7 was a jam of some sort out of the 20 rd mag I have. Plus, I only hit what I was aiming at about 2 out of at least 40 or 50 shots. Hit the bulls in one of my targets at about 20 or 30 ft. Surprised the hell outta me. I was in fact aiming at it, lol..... Yea, not a good gun at all. I inherited it, so the price was right. And hopefully the zombie invasion never happens, because if they are a little too close and techie wants to jam, well, you get the idea....... :---

1 - 12 of 12 Posts