National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
> Americans’ interest in hunting is on the decline, cutting into funding for conservation, which stems largely from hunting licenses, permits and taxes on firearms, bows and other equipment. >
Hunting license sales have fallen from a peak of about 17 million in the early ’80s to 15 million last year, according to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service data . The agency’s 2016 survey
suggested a steeper decline to 11.5 million Americans who say they hunt, down more than 2 million from five years earlier.
> The resulting financial shortfall is hitting many state wildlife agencies.
interesting
https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/LicenseInfo/Hunting.htm
https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/WildlifeSpecies/White-tailedDeer/Pages/FewerDeerFewerHunters.aspx

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
It could be people are simply tired of paying a license fee to hunt. Also, many (like me) have a lifetime hunting license, so we are not paying of a license we already have.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Hunter access is a big factor. Out of state license fees are excessive too. Instead of encouraging out of state hunters they are over charged and in a way penalized. One other big factor is the time people have to hunt. Working has ruined a lot of hunting time. Then there’s also the disconnect of where meat comes from. In the past a chicken dinner required a chicken to be killed. Now it is a product that you get at the market and so it doesn’t seem like someone had to kill a chicken.
if the DNRs an a health benefit campaign or get back to reality or back to the good ole days campaign, it could make a difference.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
The Pa game commission is making changes to our deer season this year to drive up sales. There allowing you to shoot a buck or doe both weeks of the rifle season, Before is was buck only the 1st week. There extending archery an extra week. And added 3 sunday hunts. 1 in archery. 1 in rifle season and 1 for bear, I think they also added more days for bear hunting too.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
The Pa game commission is making changes to our deer season this year to drive up sales. There allowing you to shoot a buck or doe both weeks of the rifle season, Before is was buck only the 1st week. There extending archery an extra week. And added 3 sunday hunts. 1 in archery. 1 in rifle season and 1 for bear, I think they also added more days for bear hunting too.

I think they have done similar things in NY as well. Seems to be the hunting season are longer and with all the option for different types of weapons used and whatnot people are allowed to take more big game than back when i used to hunt. My brother in VA shot his limit this year and i think he said it was 5 or 6 he was allowed! I'm guessing less hunters make for more game so they allow more to be taken per hunter.

I think there are a lot of factors hurting hunting. People like me who just decide not to hunt anymore. Gun control making guns "bad" in many eyes. Many younger people just not being interested in it anymore which seemed to have started in the 90's from what i seen. I remember being in high school and the first day or two of deer season was pretty much a holiday to most. Schools didn't even bother to call on those days to see why you stayed home but most other days they would. Most outdoor activities are on the decline when it concerns younger people. People don't camp, ride snowmobiles/ATV's , hike, fish hunt etc compared to when i was a kid. groups like PETA and other anti hunting groups probably haven't helped things either. Add allt hat together and it's no wonder the stats are lower.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
894 Posts
Decreased habitat, limited access, rising fees, increasingly complex regulations, urbanization of the populace. I used to buy a resident combination
hunting/fishing license (which covered shellfish, upland birds with deer tag and salmon/steelhead tag for around $25. (Oregon). Now it's $73 for the
combo license, $28.50 for the deer tag, $33 for the salmon/steelhead tag, $10 if I want to dig clams, $9.75 if I want to fish in the Columbia river basin,
$19 per year if I want to use a non motorized boat over 10 ft long for any of the above activities. I used to be able to roll up the regulation book and
stick it in my pocket like a comic book----now it's thicker than the local phonebook.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
It's 50.00 for me for general hunting license,archery and muzzleloader. Plus 6.90 for each doe tag. I think pheasants is an extra 25.00. We don't have many ringnecks here. So i don't bother with the pheasant stamp. I think fishing licence is 20.00 without the trout stamp.

·
Registered
18,611 Posts
"Decreased habitat, limited access, rising fees, increasingly complex regulations, urbanization of the populace"....................all that plus loss of interest by aging, former hunters and lack of interest by the general population who, for the most part, have never held, possessed or even shot a firearm. In fact the majority of Americans are not anti-gun. They just do not even think about firearms. Ergo the diminished participation in hunting and even lack of support for "gun rights".

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
You are missing the biggest reason - the push by anti-gun/anti-hunting forces across the board; get kids to hate guns, they won't want to hunt.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
hunting is decreasing...........gun sales are increasing..........interesting

we are in that great technology post industrial era.....many good points have been made......

hunting was a necessity......it became a sport......it became a more expensive sport......it became a time sensitive sport....

older generations are getting older and slowly dying out.

and the next generation is just simply losing interest in hunting and have different priorities....but still have an interest in gun ownership as reflected perhaps in sales..

i view their loss of interest no different than they can simply go to the grocery store instead of hunt, they can watch a baseball game instead of playing it, and they would rather go to the gun range for an hour instead of into the field for a day.....they can afford that one hour away from the phone and the computer.......not so much for a day...

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
18,611 Posts
They take the "phone & computer" with them nowadays, everywhere. I haven't "license hunted" (deer & upland game birds) since 1977. Spent all the years since out on public lands or at ranges, just shooting.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
It's the sad truth. The younger ones are addicted to tech. If they are outside. They are glued to their phones.

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
A couple of years ago, I wanted to go hunting again so I looked up the regs on line and holy smokes........ Talk about a convoluted mess. I'm not a complete knucklehead, but jeez.

Still thinking about it, but I've definitely been putting it off.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Every DNR website you go to, makes it very difficult to find out anything you need to know to go hunting. From the licenses and permits needed to the locations of public land. I’ve tried to find public hunting lands, (in NJ we call them Wildlife Management Areas) and the game located on that property. Just finding a parking area or access point. They will tell you what road it’s on and it’s borders but unless you have a road map, you’re lost. The maps they provide are useless, especially if you are not from the area. I’ve been looking for Canada goose hunting places in South Jersey and its virtually impossible to do without physically going there. To find out if there are geese are known to be at a WMA, it will require a 2 hour drive down and 2 hours back. Who’s going to do that? I’ll just go to Home Depot and get that mulch my wife wants me to spread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is another reason hunting is down, It is because of access as previously been said but it's a reason most don't understand. Slobs, aholes and a number of other names I can call a certain group. I own 220 acres of some prime deer woods and use to let others hunt until I got tired of picking up trash, fixing fences and patching bullet holes in deer stands. I know all are not like this but the number that are still amazes me. Now I keep the place for myself and a select few friends.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts