National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'd like to start off by saying that I'm new to the forums, and though I did not head directly to the introductory board, I have a good reason for it. This has had me thinking for a while and I just wanted to express my views. I want to talk, (or maybe rant, more like it) about the concealed carry age in many states.

I guess I should just start off by directly stating what I think: The conceal carry age needs to be much lower. Many states have ages like 21 and 18 to do so, and personally, in Oklahoma, it is 21. I really don't think this is fair. I wouldn't mind it being 14, like in Alaska, but I don't know if that will happen.

Thing is, many people younger than these ages can be in the same situations where one might need to conceal carry. A teenager, aged 16, let's say for example could be in the same mall being shot up where a 51 year man is who has his carry permit. An adolescent could also be robbed, no less. To say that just because you're younger, you can't be allowed to defend yourself, is insulting.

I'm personally 15, and I worry about all the crazies and bad guys out there. Everytime I go out there, I personally think about carrying, but I may seem nervous and somebody may pick up on that. People also won't be too friendly to someone my age who has a gun. I also have trouble on deciding how I will carry it. I have only done it once.

I have a few guns around the house, my mom owns an old Sentinel .22 pistol, there's a .22 rifle around here, and my dad owns a Jennings 9mm, which though I've heard is a bad gun, I must say, it has never misfired on him, once. and he's put probably a good 500 rounds through it total. But this is not the argument at hand. (Btw, parents considered getting new gun for me, but decided I'd rather have some money towards a motorcycle.)

I hear about lot's of young kids who carry around guns, but they only want them for illegal purposes. I would carry mine to defend my life, and never use it out of anger or anything. I've researched it all, gun safety, the technique of properly holding a gun, different calibers and models, different types of ammo, and stuff like that. I'm definitely interested in them.

I know youth may be a little harder to control in terms of emotions, but not all of this are like that. No, I don't think giving a 5 year old the option to get a permit and a gun is a good idea, but the age needs to be lowered. Perhaps to 14.

Problem is, I have no clue how to go about this. I think this should change on a federal level, every state age is lowered. I don't know how I'd go about changing this. Write to someone? Who? Senators who are against it, who may change their minds in congress? Sorry for the long rant, but it kind of makes me angry that just because I'm younger I shouldn't be allowed to defend myself against somebody trying to rob me or something. I've only ever carried once, just to try it out, but I don't want to do it illegally. Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ha, this is also my first post. I usually lurk but I saw this and decided to add my 2 cents.

I'm 16, and have grown up with guns my entire life. I am very comfortable with them and my parents let me buy my own rifle a while ago. I keep it in my closet with the breech open, in a case, with ammo in a separate room. I've been hunting with my friends before, (no adults around) and I go to the range with my grandpa every once in a while to shoot. So you could say I'm pretty comfortable with guns and respect them.

I don't think the age limit for concealed carry should be anywhere near 14. Even though I am safe and comfortable with guns, I don't think I am emotionally ready to carry a gun with me everywhere and I certainly don't think most 14 year old are. I'm not doubting you're ability to carry but I'm doubting everyone else's. Especially with COD and other things influencing kids, it's definitely not something I would like to see happen. I can understand why the age is so low in Alaska but I don't think it would work for major states.

I think 18 years old would be great across the board but I don't see it happening either. My state is 21 for CCW I think so I'll have to wait a few more years.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Texas will never lower the age to 14 or 16. Members of the military can apply for a CCL at 18. I don't think you'll ever see the age limit lowered to 18 for non-mil personnel here. With the high profile mass killings of recent years, I don't think you're going to see any state in the lower 48 lightening up on current gun laws. Things could get tougher!!

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
While I applaud both of you young men on your professed attitudes toward gun safety, I will have to fall into the camp of those who believe CC, as is the case with several other things in life, be reserved until your 21st birthday. I know lots of 14 - 20 year olds and given all the other things going on in their young lives neither wisdom nor prudence would be served by allowing them to carry a concealed weapon(firearm). Nothing magic happens on a person's 21st birthday either but, on average, a level of maturity has been gained that oftentimes precludes the propensity for rash, impulsive acts or the desire to drive a motorcycle.

Alan

Reactions: deputy

·
Irritated Citizen
552 Posts
My honest opinion is this and this doesn't pertain to the OP as I don't know him personally, I have noticed a high immaturity level compared to 10 - 15 years ago. The kids I know now that are 14 - 18 even up to 20 act so immature I wouldn't trust them to babysit my dog. I think this has something to do with the state of society in this day and age but that's for another post. So I think 21 is perfect age. Granted there are some that mature faster but the sample size I have witnessed makes me steer away from allowing anything less than 21.

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
The problem I see with the age thing is that at 17 a person can join the military, gets a lot of training with a rifle, get injured fighting for the rights of all Americans, and he is not allowed to protect even himself when he gets out until at least age 21. My personal feelings are that unless a person goes in the military they should not have the right to a concealed gun until 21. Anyone that is willing to give his life for my freedom has shown that he is willing to be responsible with a gun. And hopefully has had some training.

·
Irritated Citizen
552 Posts
You have a good point and I will concede that anyone with proper military training would have my vote to carry a firearm under age 21. If the military hasn't whipped you into shape and taught you morals along with better judgment nothing will. There's always an exception and I'm sure some still wouldn't be ready but I'd be willing to take the chance.

The problem I see with the age thing is that at 17 a person can join the military, gets a lot of training with a rifle, get injured fighting for the rights of all Americans, and he is not allowed to protect even himself when he gets out until at least age 21. My personal feelings are that unless a person goes in the military they should not have the right to a concealed gun until 21. Anyone that is willing to give his life for my freedom has shown that he is willing to be responsible with a gun. And hopefully has had some training.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I can see the arguement about a 17-18 year old and the military but I`m sorry, 21 is young enough in my opinion. Even with miltary training and experience, I believe the emotional maturity is not there especially in todays social climate.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
But they are mature enough to die for your right to say what you want?

Sorry, just my argument.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont personally think it would be smart on a state or federal level to lower the age anywhere past 18. Although Im sure there are some in the age group of 14-17 that are more mature than others, the majority will overrule. Most people in that age group are immature punks that would most likely abuse the right to carry at that age. They are neither mentally or physically ready for such a responsibility.

This is not directed at you personally OP (Watcher) so dont take it as such. Ive been in that age group and I myself would have been shocked if someone gave me the right to own a firearm. Like I said I am speaking about the majority, and if you are in that age group Watcher you should realize that the marjority of your peers could not handle the right responsibly.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
But they are mature enough to die for your right to say what you want?

Sorry, just my argument.
I had to give this some thought for a while
and a very good argument you have. If a person has served or is serving in the military and has the proper training and emotional discipline, then by all means, they should have the right to carry. In my first post, I was looking at the 17-18 year old civilians who I feel are not mentally or emotionally ready for the responsibility of handling / carrying a firearm in the general populace. When my son and stepson were at that age, they had been around firearms from an early age. They were trained in gun safety and we had some great times together hunting and shooting. But when around their peers, it was typical teenage shenanigans and they had no business being around firearms. And they were not allowed to carry either on their person or in their vehicle until at a later age unless we were camping/hunting together. My son is now 30 and carries in Texas and my stepson is 31 and a detective in Huntsville Texas.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
I can also agree that some that have military experience should maybe have to wait for a little more maturity, but I have no idea how to tell a legless 19 year old that I have the right to protect him now, but he doesn't have the right to protect himself. There really is not better answer than waiting until the age of 21, but at 55, I still feel the need to speed, does that make me irresponsible? I hope not, because it's just fun!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
there does seem to be at least a small bit of confusion in the laws.....

for example, a 18 yoa person can not obtain a CHL......but can indeed lawfully purchase a handgun private treaty.....but can not purchase it from a FFL. I have no doubt that this will also be an area that will be addressed in the forth-coming AWB knee jerk reactions.

I am of the frame of mind that a young man who is serving or has honorably served in the military should be able to CCW/CHL......they have demonstrated a level of maturity.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since I am not sure about this I will ask. You talk about 17 and 18 year olds in the military and the gun training they get. Are those same people carrying a gun out in the general public or on a battle field? There is a difference. I am sure there are many 17 and 18 years old with the maturity to conceal carry and take the responsibility to heart. Since I have a son I have seen the boys in our small town grow from lanky kids to men. I wouldn't have wanted any of them to carry lol. While they weren't bad kids they were kids.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
Consider this.

In the military, soldiers in combat (that's when those in the military carry firearms) are under the direct supervision of an NCO who is of a relatively advanced age. These underaged infantrymen are not allowed to carry on base when stateside.

Reactions: minimalbrat

·
Irritated Citizen
552 Posts
Riddle me this because I have not served how soon after you go through boot camp will you be unleashed on the world to have the time to conceal carry? I feel dumb for having to ask this btw.. .. Isn't the avg period 4 years that you are elisted and owned with only short leave time? When would you have the time to worry about concealing.. Bad way to put it but I honestly don't know.. And does that make this conversation null and void?

Since I am not sure about this I will ask. You talk about 17 and 18 year olds in the military and the gun training they get. Are those same people carrying a gun out in the general public or on a battle field? There is a difference. I am sure there are many 17 and 18 years old with the maturity to conceal carry and take the responsibility to heart. Since I have a son I have seen the boys in our small town grow from lanky kids to men. I wouldn't have wanted any of them to carry lol. While they weren't bad kids they were kids.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Minimum age to die for America's freedom 17.

Minimum age to protect yourself from criminals in your own homeland 21.

I don't give a crap if a 17 year old can carry on base, but it is okay for him to carry in combat when the rest of the world is shooting back at him. If that doesn't mature an individual in a hurry, nothing will.

Sorry son, the Constitution doesn't say anything about being man enough to carry as an adult, but you can sure be punished as one if you break the law. Want a gun, die for your country.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
I'll put it a little plainer.

The US Military does not trust its man-child soldiers with firearms while unsupervised. They know that a 17 year old does not have the maturity nor the experience to be allowed to carry a loaded firearm anywhere without direct supervision.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
As plain as you can put it, that's fine. I then say no one under the age of 21 can pay the price for our freedom. I see no age restrictions anywhere in the Constitution.

There are a lot of older people that should not have guns too, but they have rights, only because the are of a predetermined (by old people) mature age.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts