National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Shooting Wire:

Roiling Toward A Boil
As the clock counts down to the Supreme Court hearing on the District of Columbia’s gun ban, we can’t stop wondering if there’s not a change afoot in the “official” government position regarding the District’s longstanding total ban on handguns and regulations that make long guns somewhat less than useless.

That’s because pundits around Washington (that includes virtually everyone from the columnist to the cabdriver) are starting to offer up the possibility that Solicitor General Paul Clement may, in fact, have the last laugh on career bureaucrats in his office. One former colleague of mine (still probably the best wired man in Washington on either side of the party) says Clement’s opinion was shaped – if not dictated – by career lawyers in the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. They are, putting it kindly, opposed to individual gun rights. Clement’s arguments before the Supreme Court on Tuesday may, in fact, all but reverse that position.

That internal insurrection theory could explain Vice President Dick Cheney’s signing on with 55 Senators and 250 House members in a brief supporting Senior Judge Laurence Silberman’s ruling on the unconstitutionality of the District’s gun ban.

If that’s the case, Cheney wasn’t going against the wishes of his boss. He was actually voting for the administration while his boss was trying to placate the Democrats. Don’t get me started on the fact that with only a few months left in what has become one of the lamest of lame-duck presidencies, George Bush is still trying to stay in the good graces of the Democrats. But that’s another theory being proffered.

Makes sense. Clement is (or was) presumed to be a conservative- he clerked for Silberman and Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. This may be yet another instance of the career bureaucrats not giving a continental damn what their bosses wanted- especially since they’re figuring these bosses are headed out the door in January.

If that does turn out to be the case, it may make for some interesting arguments on Tuesday. It’s darned difficult to refute someone who is no longer arguing against you.

And just in case you think this case isn’t important to DC politicians, word that the District is launching what they call their “Safe Homes Initiative”. Mayor Adrian Fenty and Chief Cathy Lanier are pushing “consent searches” for guns in District of Columbia residences. Civil rights groups are howling in protest at what appears to be a last-ditch effort to sway the Supreme Court in advance of Tuesday’s sessions.

Arthur B. Spitzer with the American Civil Liberties Union says it sends the message to the public that “the police ought to be able to search your house anytime for any reason.” He also told the Washington Post that intimidating citizens into allowing the police into their homes without warrants “cheapens civil liberties and privacy for everyone.”

One district resident, Ronald Hampton, says he will not allow the police to search his home.

Hampton is executive director of the National Black Police Association.

Speaking of Tuesday, some coverage information. The Outdoor Wires are credentialed for the Supreme Court hearing. So many credentials have been requested that the Supreme Court is taking the unprecedented step of making “quick” audio available. For only the third time in its existence, the court will allow an audio feed and copies of the arguments to be made available to the media.

We will be working in conjunction with Michael Bane and his DownrangeTV to assemble and prepare this massive amount of material on Tuesday – and going forward. I’ll be doing live reporting from Washington during the course of the day, and will be taking part in follow-up coverage with Michael and the NRA. On Monday, we’ll offer up some specific information to make it possible for you to keep up with the District of Columbia, et. al, versus Dick Anthony Heller on Tuesday. We wanted to let you know we’re keeping our promise to you to cover important stories as well as we possibly can.

Unfortunately, an effort to get the outdoor television networks to turn some of their attention and resources to the story didn’t pan out.

And yesterday we received confirmation from New Jersey that you can’t keep a persistent legislator down or a bad bill out of that state assembly.

Assemblymen Patrick Diegnan and Herb Conaway, Jr. and Assemblywoman Nellie Pou have introduced Assembly No. 2490 into the 213 edition of the New Jersey Legislature. As the synopsis succinctly states: “Requires handgun ammunition to be encoded with serial number.”

In their collective wisdom, they’ve introduced legislation that would require handgun ammunition to be encoded with a serial number on the base of the bullet and inside of the cartridge casing “in such a manner that it is highly likely to permit identification after ammunition discharge and bullet impact”.

The outside of the ammo boxes should be labeled “with the name of the manufacturer and the same serial number used on the cartridge casings and bases of bullets contained in the box.”

Technical improbabilities and financial impact aside, additional requirements in the bill make its ultimate purpose obvious. The Superintendent of the State Police would be required to maintain a database collected from firearms and ammunition dealers containing the date of each ammunition purchase, manufacturer, caliber, serial numbers, name and birth date of each purchaser, drivers license number (or other appropriate identification number issued to the purchaser by the State or federal government) and – the catch all – “and any other information the Superintendent deems necessary.”

Only serialized ammunition could be sold in New Jersey. Individual violators could be fined up to $1,000 and six months in jail. Manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers of ammo could be whacked with up to 18 months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Ordinarily, this sort of legislation is dismissed as political eyewash- junk bills introduced simply to score political points.

But never underestimate the acumen of the anti-gun New Jersey politician. As Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said, "Anybody who is buying more than one handgun a month is a straw buyer.”

Until we “straw men” stand up to the anti-gun groups who want everyone to believe they represent the majority opinion, these sorts of bills will never go away.

Unfortunately, neither will the politicians who introduce them.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I read an article about Clement's real position by a long-time politico whose name excapes me at the moment.

Should make for an interesting mix.

I also understand from Gun Week that the anti-Heller position will be given 1/2 hour, while the aggregate of the amicus briefs will be given only 15 minutes.

I also heard about the DC 'warrantless search' proposal (since I live about 8 miles from there). Does anyone know if anything became of this in Boston? They did the same thing recently. At lest the ACLU is somewhat consistent on this one, rather than turning a blind eye to the violation of rights.

Re: the New Jersey serialized ammo thing, if I recall this passed in California (or maybe it was the gun micro-stamping), and was also introduced and defeated in Arizona.

Seems that Spitzer ain't the only pol who's into back door politics. (sorry).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fear not.
King George's faithful Neocons, Roberts and Alito, will dutifully do their Sovereign's bidding and nix the 2nd Amendment.
We will then be told where and when to drop off all our guns.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
denfoote said:
Fear not.
King George's faithful Neocons, Roberts and Alito, will dutifully do their Sovereign's bidding and nix the 2nd Amendment.
We will then be told where and when to drop off all our guns.
You're just a harbinger of Glad Tidings, aren't you?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I calls 'em as I sees 'em!!!
Assuming what Dr Jerome Corsi and others are telling us about the North American Union and Bush's involvement in it are true, it's logical to also assume that His Infernal Majesty, George V, knows that it cannot be pulled off until all the peasants, who own guns or know how to use guns, are disarmed and either killed or put into concentration camps.

Does this sound far fetched??

I bet your average gun owning Russian, when posed the same scenario in 1916, would have said it could never happen!!

Same for your average Chinese in 1946!!!

Governments never stay a free republic. They ALWAYS decend into tyranny.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
denfoote said:
I calls 'em as I sees 'em!!!
Assuming what Dr Jerome Corsi and others are telling us about the North American Union and Bush's involvement in it are true, it's logical to also assume that His Infernal Majesty, George V, knows that it cannot be pulled off until all the peasants, who own guns or know how to use guns, are disarmed and either killed or put into concentration camps.

Does this sound far fetched??

I bet your average gun owning Russian, when posed the same scenario in 1916, would have said it could never happen!!

Same for your average Chinese in 1946!!!

Governments never stay a free republic. They ALWAYS decend into tyranny.

That could spark an all out civil war I fear. Americans would not tolerate that BS
and with our military overseas in two counrties I wonder if the Communists would feel safe. :eek: :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts