National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You will have to admit that as a woods gun it is still a big seller and is used by more hunters in dense woods than most other cals!

You can buy them cheap, put on a 4X scope and go hunting with a min amount of dollars invested! This is very attractive to young folks who can't afford to spend the 1K plus for some of the fancy bolt action rifles out there. I do understand that you can pick up a Savage or CZ pretty cheap but the 30-30 used is available at bargin prices and will still drop a deer today as well as it did 50 years ago.

G

·
ah the old thudy thudy . They are a nice starter gun for kids. when my son is old enough that will be his first gun.

G

·
sig232-I agree in part. I really like the cheap ammo prices. A deer at fairly close range doesn't go far at all. Actually sometimes a better choice than a light grain, high velocity cartridge.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neanderthal said:
sig232-I agree in part. I really like the cheap ammo prices. A deer at fairly close range doesn't go far at all. Actually sometimes a better choice than a light grain, high velocity cartridge.

Yep, and with the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo it has extended the range and life of the cartridge.

G

·
I started as a teenager with the 30-30 then went all over the caliber range.Only after many years I came to the :idea: conclusion,that I knew all the while.That my Winchester 94 & Marlin 336 in 30-30,are the best guns I own for my Big Game hunting needs.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JoeLee said:
I started as a teenager with the 30-30 then went all over the caliber range.Only after many years I came to the :idea: conclusion,that I knew all the while.That my Winchester 94 & Marlin 336 in 30-30,are the best guns I own for my Big Game hunting needs.
They will work fine in most hunting situations. In Oregon they will not do the job when you get over in Eastern Oregon to hunt Antelope, and have little tree coverage. It rolling hills and desert and you need something that will reach out there a long way. I am sure that in MT, WY and other range states they have the same issues.

G

·
sig232 said:
JoeLee said:
They will work fine in most hunting situations. In Oregon they will not do the job when you get over in Eastern Oregon to hunt Antelope, and have little tree coverage. It rolling hills and desert and you need something that will reach out there a long way. I am sure that in MT, WY and other range states they have the same issues.
Yes I hunt heavy timber and swamp many of my shots could be measured in feet.

G

·
I've hunted with my 30-30 all my life. I took my first moose at 175yds with my mom's m94. I now live in northern alberta where longer range shots are the custom. I was in a canola field this year with my son when out steps a whitetail at about 350yds. It was the first time in my life I wished for a different gun. I have a 30-06 but I don't like shooting it because of the recoil. This being said, I still love my 30-30 and will probably always consider it my go-to gun.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I love my old 94. The 30-30 is planty of gun. Most of my deer are all taken at shorter range anyway. The only real exception was my muley in Colorado and I left the 30-30 home for that hunt. The 30-30 is great!

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I just wanted to add that I think some of the popularity of the thudy thudy is due to the sweet handling rifles it is chambered for. Not that it isn't a great round though.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I am bad. I do not own a .30-30. Every gun owner should have one.

G

·
definately more deer taken with that caliber than any other by far. every hunter i know owns one. i may not use it as much as i used to but i have killed many deer with it and my model 99 in .300 savage.i try to take at least one deer a year with one of those guns for nostalgia if no other reason.

G

·
30-30 in a 94 is a great woods gun. I am not sure it is more popular than the 06, but it may be. Not a great long range gun. No other choice makes me feel
as close to my dad and uncles, and the good old days. Classic. I love mine
along with my dads old .35 Remington pump. Sweet.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
A Savage 99 in .300Savage; a classic that is an outstanding deer rifle and a collectors item at the same time. Someone in our deer camp had one. I wanted to buy it but he kept it to hand down to his son. Can't argue with that.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
There is no better place for guns to go then the hands of your children. My son is going to be all set for sure.

G

·
Well, its been 34 years since I took my first deer. Took it with my brand new Winchester 94 30-30. I've shot a boatload of deer since then, with all kinds of rifles and shotguns, but for hunting whitetail at ranges where you don't need a spotting scope to see them, the 30-30 is still about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
367 Posts
30-30 is pretty minimal for deer size game beyond 50 yd.

Most "big-game experts" recommend at least 1500 Ft.Lbs. energy for
clean efficient kills.

As you can see from the ballistics chart, the 30-30 starts out with just over
1800 at the muzzle.

Attachments

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
30-30 is pretty minimal for deer size game beyond 50 yd.

Most "big-game experts" recommend at least 1500 Ft.Lbs. energy for
clean efficient kills.

As you can see from the ballistics chart, the 30-30 starts out with just over
1800 at the muzzle.

I would not label Deer as big game. Medium maybe. Most heavy woods shots are 50-80 yards at most, the 30-30 will take down any deer up to 150 yards, no problem, especially with the Leverolution ammo by Hornady.

When I was a young man, the 30-30 was considered powerful enough to take down anything in North America. Funny how we continue on up the ladder year after year with a special need for "more power!":thumbsup:

Just like with Automobiles and Motorcycles.

In 1960 a 50 HP motorcycle was awesome! Now its a total *****!:biggrin5:

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Good thing the deer never read the ballistics chart.:biggrin5:
I have taken several deer from over 50 yards with a 30-30.
That is a gun responsible for the survival of a lot of people.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Deer should be considered "Thin Skinned Medium Game" and MOST experts recommend 1000 ft/lbs minimum for deer, not 1500.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts