National Gun Forum banner

Tested the mini 14 with my new gas bushing.

622 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Coalcracker
The brass flew about 20 feet at 2:00. One flew at 3:00 and one at 5:00. I had one get pinched on the way out. Im going to leave it at that. 2 reasons. Im running a .050 bushing. I never did find the .045 i lost. And one of the screws i had use a torx bit to tighten it. I fear i'll strip it to much if i try again.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
You take a lot of time between shots. You should try going just a bit faster but then again you’ll burn up more ammo. It’s up to you.
Reactions: 1
Yes i was taking my time. I chased each casing so wouldn't loose track. I only had 15 rounds with me. If they were not in my mags i would not have had any. I forgot to grab my ammo.
  • Wow
Throwing brass from 2-5 o'clock seems like a lot of pressure differences between rounds. Are these all hand loads or are you shooing a mix of factory ammo?
A mix of hand loads. After i ran out of varget. I used a few different powders.
I just thought of something. They were loaded using my auto drum. I started to have issues with it then. Then next run will be with my RCBS Uniflow.
Ok im loaded with 25 grains of CFE 223 55 grain bullets. I only had 19 casings. I weighed every charge. The uniflo thew each one on the dot. I know i can trust it.
Thanks for the update, I’m interested in how well this next batch does.
I'll post up my results then. (y)
Yes i was taking my time. I chased each casing so wouldn't loose track. I only had 15 rounds with me. If they were not in my mags i would not have had any. I forgot to grab my ammo.
"I shot pretty good today. I forgot to bring the ammo though." No worries though. I've driven to the lake, launched the boat, started the motor, then realized I forgot the rods. You are not alone.
A little update. I ordered new gas block screws and a Wheeler fat wrench, I also found my .045 bushing in. I put it in. And just hand tightened the block for now. I watched some videos of the fat wrench being used. There is no way my harbor fright ratchet one is correct.
The .045 bushing worked great. The brass flew about 8 feet. The loads with the same powder weight. Kept the brass at 2-3:00. (y)
Reactions: 2
After i get the new screws and torque them. Should i loc-tite them? Im not going to stake them.
Ok im loaded with 25 grains of CFE 223 55 grain bullets. I only had 19 casings. I weighed every charge. The uniflo thew each one on the dot. I know i can trust it.
Congrats! I was sure that the bushings would be OK.
After i get the new screws and torque them. Should i loc-tite them? Im not going to stake them.
Don't know if lock tight will do you any good, it melts as it heats up and gas block temps will probably render it useless. Was there any on the original screws?

Edited:
Just checked, blue will melt, red should be ok. I wouldn't do it if you didn't see any on original screws.
Don't know if lock tight will do you any good, it melts as it heats up and gas block temps will probably render it useless. Was there any on the original screws?

Edited:
Just checked, blue will melt, red should be ok. I wouldn't do it if you didn't see any on original screws.
I doubt you would ever get those small screws loose ever again if using Red.
Ok cool i'll skip the loc-tite. The factory stakes them. I'll just check them when i clean the rifle. (y)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts