Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to lock up your guns better...

http://www.wfsb.com/news/16262219/detail.html

Quote:
Police: Teen With AK-47 Opened Fire
Accused Teen Autistic, According To Parents

POSTED: 2:42 pm EDT May 14, 2008
UPDATED: 7:42 pm EDT May 14, 2008

BROOKLYN, Conn. -- State police said a 16-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder after he fired an assault rifle at people playing basketball behind a Brooklyn church.

State police said the teen shooter had an AK-47 rifle, but was subdued by the basketball players who rushed the gunman and wrestled him to the ground Tuesday night.

Police said the shooting occurred shortly after the teen argued with the young people playing on the basketball court behind Our Lady of Lasalette Church.

Troopers said the boy allegedly bragged about having an AK-47 rifle and returned 10 minutes later dressed in black and opened fire.

Police said the teen fired the weapon from the woods about 15 to 20 yards away from the basket ball court.

Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Eric Parker reported that blood remained on the ground where police said the basketball players subdued the teen.

The teen was arraigned in a closed courtroom in Danielson on Wednesday.

The boy's parents told Eyewitness News that their son is autistic and has temper problems. They said the gun belonged to his minister father. The father said the teen broke a window to retrieve the gun from a locked room.

"Other people are probably saying he could be a bad person, but I know … he's not a bad person," said the teen's friend, Jarrad Staplins.

The teen was being held in a lockdown unit at a local hospital.

His bond was set at $300,000 and he was scheduled to return to court on May 30.
E-mail news tips to Eyewitness News, or dial: 866-289-0333.
Connecticut's latest breaking news is on WFSB.com and Channel 3 Eyewitness News

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Blame the father. If all he had to do was break a window, that was not properly secured.

This was more than likely not the first showing of anger/aggression issues, and knowing that he was autistic, the father should have kept a much tighter leash on his guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
icemonkey said:
Blame the father. If all he had to do was break a window, that was not properly secured.

This was more than likely not the first showing of anger/aggression issues, and knowing that he was autistic, the father should have kept a much tighter leash on his guns.

I would have to agree..... Parents need to start stepping up to the plate.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I bought a gun safe for that very reason. I had a teen in the home and I did not worry about him but I did worry about his friends and they were always interested in seeing my gun collection.

It is important to lock up those guns folks. Secure them when you are not home and bring out your defensive weapon when you are in the residence. Too many "tweekers" breaking into homes and using stolen firearms to do crazy things.

"Fort Knox" and Brinks are guarding my small collection when I am not in residence. When home I am either armed or have my two favorite defensive weapons close by.

These incidents of guns falling into the hands of ones children add fuel to the fire of the anti-second amendment liberals screaming for the confiscation of all firearms.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I think we are missing something important here. The teen had an AK-47, but that didn't stop the other people from knocking him to the ground.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Cake said:
I think we are missing something important here. The teen had an AK-47, but that didn't stop the other people from knocking him to the ground.
It takes a lot of courage to confront someone with an AK-47 but the point is no teen should be able to gain access to a weapon that dangerous without proper supervision. If a known troubled child is in residence then guns need to be under lock and key. Thats most likely would have prevented this situation in the first place.

Locking a room is not a good solution. Locking the gun in a safe or with a secure trigger lock would have been a better choice.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
And I don't disagree with that sentiment. Not one bit. But I was just mentioning that it takes balls to do what they did. Big steely ones.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Cake said:
And I don't disagree with that sentiment. Not one bit. But I was just mentioning that it takes balls to do what they did. Big steely ones.
Right on to that statement! Courage to the max!

I imagine I would be saying to myself, "Feet don't fail me now" if I saw someone with an AK-47 pointing it in a menacing direction. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
sig232 said:
I imagine I would be saying to myself, "Feet don't fail me now" if I saw someone with an AK-47 pointing it in a menacing direction. :eek: :eek: :eek:
+1

·
Registered
159 Posts
lol those people that were playing basketball had some serious balls alright. theres a fine line between having some steely balls and being completely stupid. im on the fence on that matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its idiots like the teens father who is giving the responseble gun owners a bad name. As long as people like him are careless with their guns we'll never truely get the law makers off our backs about gun rights.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
sig232 said:
Cake said:
Right on to that statement! Courage to the max!

Good thing for this kid that no one else was armed... if anyone ever fired at me, I would certain be shooting back!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
again, the media throwing out hto button words to scare the public into hating guns, id bet his bail bond that the teen DID NOT have an ak-47.

an ak-47 is a fully automatic maching gun. id put that $300k on him not having that. it was most likley an akm, teh semi auto version, buy "akm" dosent quite strike the fear into the uneducated masses like "ak-47" does :shock: :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll play devil's advocate and say, good thing nobody taught this kid to shoot better. If you roll on a group of people with any gun that starts with ak, from 15 yards and closing in as they charge you, you should be able to do more than put a few of 'em in the hospital. :evil:

Definitely on the dad for not locking that up better, especially if he knew his kid had temper issues.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
deth502 said:
again, the media throwing out hto button words to scare the public into hating guns, id bet his bail bond that the teen DID NOT have an ak-47.

an ak-47 is a fully automatic maching gun. id put that $300k on him not having that. it was most likley an akm, teh semi auto version, buy "akm" dosent quite strike the fear into the uneducated masses like "ak-47" does :shock: :shock:
The only real difference between an AK-47 and an AKM is the 47 is milled, the AKM is stamped, and the AKM has a canted break. Both can be select fire. There are semi only AK-47s.

The 47 was only made in 1947 (though they do still make replicas), because when they were testing the stamped type the rail guides kept breaking off because of the spot welds that held them in place were weak. The next year they found a better way to weld the guides on, and started using stamped recievers because it lightened the weapon.

Sorry for the rant.

Yes they had some big old concrete nuts for charging him. Yes the father needs to secure his weapons.

I have my Kimber in a bed mounted thumb print safe, and everything else in a wall safe. It only takes about two seconds to get into the bed safe.

Go the extra mile and spend the grand or two to secure your firearms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts