National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! This is the headline today in the Oregonian, the Portland, OR newspaper.

A Medford OR high school teacher is arguing that she has the right to carry a concealed semiautomatic pistol to her classes to protect herself from a violent ex-husband in a case certain to set off alarm bells in schools across the state.

In a standoff with the Medford School District, the 44 year old teacher may go to court this week to ask a judge to allow her to carry a Glock 19, 9 mm pistol to school.

There is no appellate ruling in Oregon that would cover this situation. Under Oregon law, people with concealed handgun licenses can carry guns into public buildings. What is murky in the law is whether school districts can stop employees from carrying concealed weapons onto school property. Most Oregon schools have polices against employees and in some cases the general public carrying concealed weapons onto their property.
A lawsuit by the teacher could serve to clear the matter, according to the newspaper.

This is very interesting because the paper says you can carry into public buildings. Hey, just try that in the local police station or court house! The state of Oregon says they are the only ones that can make or revise gun law. The various government offices are in confilict with this and will try to prevent you from carrying your gun onto their property. Case in point, the MAX train lines or bus lines, port of Portland, and the schools.

This will be an interesting case to watch if it does indeed go to court.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hope she wins.

G

·
:cool: --You know sig232, we didn't have trouble like that in Portland in the '50's--

--Medford is very close to California, and one of the prominant cross- overs from California, matter of fact, she might even be from California, irregardless, I hope she gets more backup and wins the battle--

--She aught to be supplemented by the Governor of Virginia !!!

-- :-B-: --JIMBO

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the Oregon Firearms Association is backing her up and helping with the legal action.

I thought it was funny that the school attorney was "shocked" that she was filing a lawsuit.
I think we may be starting to see a bit of a backlash by gun owners against some of the stupid government controls.

Our liberal newspaper also ran some stories recently allowing an individual to explain the difference in a semi-auto rifle as opposed to the assault weapon definition. This I believe ran in the Sports section so as not to get too much coverage.

G

·
My wife teaches - you'd be surprised at the number of purses that are stolen/gone through by a little crook kid at recess or lunch. I would imagine there'd be (potentially) more than one law suit if a kid shot another with a teacher's pistol.

:cool:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zipperzap said:
My wife teaches - you'd be surprised at the number of purses that are stolen/gone through by a little crook kid at recess or lunch. I would imagine there'd be (potentially) more than one law suit if a kid shot another with a teacher's pistol.

:cool:
Well she is just going to have to find some place to stash that pistol other than her purse! ;)
A thigh holster, etc.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zipperzap said:
We live in California - remember? Not a worry here! :D
I would guess that the inner city schools of CA are as dangerous or more dangerous than New York City. Gangs control the schools in many areas of LA. Maybe not San Diego but I imagine they have their problems too with the infux from south of the border.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I can't find the citation or statute number, but apparently there is a federal law which prohibits firearms within X-number of feet from a school. A local anti-gunner was threatening to invoke that one when we were setting about implementing the CCW law here in NM.

I wish I knew more details -- will try to find out more. If it's true, the Feds will no doubt seek to override whatever the city/county/state/school district decide, if it's in favor of the teacher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts