National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much detail should be given when trying to make a mount look as lifelike as possible?

Is it customary for taxidermists to give attention to the genital anatomy of both male and female as well
as anal anatomy when building a mount as a fox, bear, moose, wolf, deer, lion, etc?

There is one taxidermist on a YouTube video who stuffs paper into a dog fox or coyote scrotum to try to replicate the testes. Personally, I think smooth egg-shaped objects of foam or modelling clay should be placed there to even look more accurate. I think the female vulva should also be constructed where applicable as well as the anal anatomy.

Should an animal's hide or pelt be skinned in a certain fashion with respect to preserving the private regions for mounting? You spend a lot of money on a professional mount.
Why not make sure it's complete and proper?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Sounds sort of kinky. Never really paid too much attention to animal genitalia before.. Why are you assuming gender? Maybe they are fluid or some other?

redsquirrel.jpg

·
Registered
369 Posts
IMO, unless you're entering a competition of some sort or making museum pieces, etc, most people aren't going to pay attention to those sorts of details anyway.

Reactions: Rivervalley0311

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO, unless you're entering a competition of some sort or making museum pieces, etc, most people aren't going to pay attention to those sorts of details anyway.
This guy pays attention to certain coyote and fox parts.

I don't like the wadded paper for testicles, however. I think they should be molded of clay, maybe.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
You seem to be obsessed with animal genitalia and anal orifices. If your single and only concern is accurate re-creation and representation than as strange as it seems to me I have no problem with that. If it varies or deviates slightly to anything else than you really need to keep it to yourself and may I also strongly suggest mental professional and legal help.

Taxidermy in my view is a way to preserve memories. The mount is a way to remind you of what happened. The only thing I had mounted was a brown trout I caught in the Chattahoochee river. I have since lost it unfortunately. For me it was to remind me of a very exciting event in my life and I wanted to remember. It didn't look exactly like the fish I remember catching but it was done well. My taxidermist used the real skin. There are people that mount fish that don't use anything from the fish at all and recreate a likeness of your fish with fiberglass or other materials.

You need to speak with a local taxidermist that you may actually hire to mount anything to see what it may cost and what he is willing and able to do. It doesn't matter what you want or what is even possible in the world of taxidermy unless you know someone that can do it for you. If you are a hobbyist or just like the theoretical and philosophical discussion that have at it.

If I was getting it done I would go with whatever the taxidermist I went with felt comfortable and capable of doing.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Get the head and body right and the average person won't notice the rest.

Get it wrong lol

OMG that is just too funny!

Hey Fred for years i had no idea how fish were mounted but i never looked at them real close until a buddy had me help take one of his dads fish down so they could paint the wall. I was so disappointed to find out they just buy a fiberglass fish the same size and air brush it to match the fish caught. I know back in the day they did with the skin and I'm sure you can find people who still will but for the most part it's just a replica. I was so bummed when i learned that.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You seem to be obsessed with animal genitalia and anal orifices. If your single and only concern is accurate re-creation and representation than as strange as it seems to me I have no problem with that. If it varies or deviates slightly to anything else than you really need to keep it to yourself and may I also strongly suggest mental professional and legal help.

Taxidermy in my view is a way to preserve memories. The mount is a way to remind you of what happened. The only thing I had mounted was a brown trout I caught in the Chattahoochee river. I have since lost it unfortunately. For me it was to remind me of a very exciting event in my life and I wanted to remember. It didn't look exactly like the fish I remember catching but it was done well. My taxidermist used the real skin. There are people that mount fish that don't use anything from the fish at all and recreate a likeness of your fish with fiberglass or other materials.

You need to speak with a local taxidermist that you may actually hire to mount anything to see what it may cost and what he is willing and able to do. It doesn't matter what you want or what is even possible in the world of taxidermy unless you know someone that can do it for you. If you are a hobbyist or just like the theoretical and philosophical discussion that have at it.

If I was getting it done I would go with whatever the taxidermist I went with felt comfortable and capable of doing.

I never actually thought about this private regions thing on mounts until I started to watch a couple of videos on taxidermy and stumbled across this issue. I figure if you are going to fuss over the hair patterns on the fur you should also be concerned about the entire mount's being anatomically correct. When sculpture and art of animals are rendered, sometimes the private regions are shown and other times they are omitted. Nude human art also should only render what is natural. Often male genitalia are grossly undersized on classic sculpture out of phony modesty.

My philosophy is that since taxidermy is so expensive anyway, why ignore certain natural parts of the mount? It is actually perverse to intentionally not display something on a mount or in art that is only natural. Yes, I would be very crazy to pay a lot for a mount to have it deviate from only what is natural.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts